Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Have you checked out sillybug Glenn & Teresa's post above, re the tiny plastic shaft breaking at the fuel pump. Their Iveco was off the road for months due to that problem. :(

Jock.
Is that in the high pressure pump? Because ive changed the inline lift pump.

Also not sure where the high pressure pump is and if i can physically get to it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Is that in the high pressure pump? Because ive changed the inline lift pump.

Also not sure where the high pressure pump is and if i can physically get to it.
See their quotes below Taff.

After rereading all the posts I suggest if all else fails check out post 23 the little shaft in the main pump was our problem took a lot of time to test and replace all the things suggested but in the end that was the problem Hope this isn’t the problem we got a new pump not cheap but great relief .Hope this is helpful.

Hi just spoke to other half he said not main pump but a smaller pump that sits along side the diesel pump ,he watched machanic fix it and he said they took it off in 20 mins then took it to a repair shop and was back on in 20 mins ,
Sillybug (Teresa)

Cheers

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Well I physically cant get to the high pressure pump and my efforts at cracking the pipes on the rail are providing fruitless as I cant get the leverage. Recovery truck and garage it is then!! I hate failing!!

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi all, update!!! checked all relays, and fuses again, they are good. Managed to crack the pipes on the injectors and no fuel is getting through from the filter. so I am left with either:

High pressure fuel pump failure
fuel pump solenoid failure.

i thing those items are on the lower side of the engine which means ill need to get under the wagon to have any hope of accessing (rear wheel drive can have its problems!!!)

Im toying with the idea of jacking the front of the van up and putting the wheels on either some huge 3 inch thick (maybe 3 each side) slabs i have with axle stands as a back up or jacking the van up onto my milenco quatros with axle stands as a secondary? Is this a quick way to a Darwin award? I just cant see anyway to get near the pump without gaining some clearance or losing half my body weight!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all, update!!! checked all relays, and fuses again, they are good. Managed to crack the pipes on the injectors and no fuel is getting through from the filter. so I am left with either:

High pressure fuel pump failure
fuel pump solenoid failure.

i thing those items are on the lower side of the engine which means ill need to get under the wagon to have any hope of accessing (rear wheel drive can have its problems!!!)

Im toying with the idea of jacking the front of the van up and putting the wheels on either some huge 3 inch thick (maybe 3 each side) slabs i have with axle stands as a back up or jacking the van up onto my milenco quatros with axle stands as a secondary? Is this a quick way to a Darwin award? I just cant see anyway to get near the pump without gaining some clearance or losing half my body weight!!
Is it an A class ? Also what year, there is a very knowledgeable guy who does nothing but Iveco Daily’s in Darlington might be worth a call he also breaks Daily’s 👍
6208B906-86B1-4F97-979E-374885504514.png

• Informative
Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi All, update for the last 6 months!! Can I find a mobile mechanic who will actually turn up? Nope!! Local garage tried to recover but couldn't get it lifted. so im screwed at the minute. Taken a hiatus and had a few work & family issues, so now back to sorting this out!!

Next wheeze will be trying to find a recovery company who will actually be able to lift the vehicle and turn up!!!

Next option 1 x match and 1 x gallon of petrol!!!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Next option 1 x match and 1 x gallon of petrol!!!!
Taff015. I totally get your frustrations Taff', but please be aware of what you put up online, even if only jesting. ;)

How did you get on with checking out the inline filter on the chassis rail, which precedes the main filter and injection pump?

Did you communicate with sillybug Glenn & Teresa, who have been through all this with the same engine, well before you did?

Cheers

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Taff015. I totally get your frustrations Taff', but please be aware of what you put up online, even if only jesting. ;)

How did you get on with checking out the inline filter on the chassis rail, which precedes the main filter and injection pump?

Did you communicate with sillybug Glenn & Teresa, who have been through all this with the same engine, well before you did?

Cheers

Fair point!!

every thing from the high pressure pump backwards has been changed and works. Fuel is just not getting to the rail. I have been talking to a mechanic but he keeps either not turning up or goes dark on messaging for weeks on end.

I have now found a company to lift the van on a low loader to the garage I normally use but they now don't want to deal with the van..... I cant make this up.

Seriously toying with the idea now of just having a go myself. its either the high pressure pump or something else to do with fuel return that I'm trying to figure out

Clearly there is so much work available to mechanics and garages, they can just chin stuff off.

So if anyone knows a reliable mechanic that works in the Shrewsbury area or a garage that can accept my van on the back of a low loader, please let me know!

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Taff015. Any updates on your fuel starvation situation?

Cheers,

Still starving!!!

I'm not paying £1400 to get the van lifted to a garage. A friend of mines son who is a lot thinner than me and is also very handy with a spanner is going to see if he can get at it and remove the offending part. it seems like I do have the same issue as Glenn & Teresa. My issue is finding a mechanic willing to come and have a look. Clearly there is a shortage of mechanic types as they can pick and choose what jobs they want to do. Every mechanic I have spoken to has promised to come out and never does.

Hopefully sorted soon though.

I'm short on time at the minute so will need to wait for a clear weekend and that's looking unlikely until October!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Still starving!!!

I'm not paying £1400 to get the van lifted to a garage. A friend of mines son who is a lot thinner than me and is also very handy with a spanner is going to see if he can get at it and remove the offending part. it seems like I do have the same issue as Glenn & Teresa. My issue is finding a mechanic willing to come and have a look. Clearly there is a shortage of mechanic types as they can pick and choose what jobs they want to do. Every mechanic I have spoken to has promised to come out and never does.

Hopefully sorted soon though.

I'm short on time at the minute so will need to wait for a clear weekend and that's looking unlikely until October!
Thanks for the update Taff, albeit not what we had all hoped for. :(

Good luck getting sorted sooner rather than later. (y)

Cheers,

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It's a inertia switch fitted to all most, if not all vehicles it cuts the fuel supply in the event of a accident generally found in the footwell but don't know on a A class but Google should be your friend
Ours is on the bulkhead

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Fair point!!

every thing from the high pressure pump backwards has been changed and works.
Can you just clarify when you say "everything from the hp pump back" have you actually, physically taken the hp pump off ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Have you tried bleeding the injectors properly which means opening the injector nuts in turn and cranking until diesel comes out
it is a common rail system-You will do yourself serious injury attempting to 'bleed' them like the old ones. they run at up to 15 times the pressure of the old mechanical diesel pumps & it will cut through your skin like a scalpel They are self bleeding for a reason.
On my transit when you work on the injectors you are meant to change the delivry pipes once they have been loosened

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Can you just clarify when you say "everything from the hp pump back" have you actually, physically taken the hp pump off ?
No as Im too fat and short to reach it and lack the required knowledge to get it off. However, I did crack one of the injector pipes and no fuel was coming out.. Ecu check came back as a high and low pressure issue which also leads me to the lack of fuel getting through. if i unscrew the bleed valve on the filter fuel flies out on cranking.

Again, I am at the mercy of finding a willing mechanic or someone to lift the van to a garage

If I fire enough easy start down the pipe it will try and start up using the easy start as fuel no doubt but then stops after one splutter

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've just Googled your van Taff015 and I see your dilemma, it'd be easier cutting a hole in the dash than going in through the bonnet !
I'm still convinced it's the little supplementary drive shaft between the two pumps that's failed, especially now since finding out Glen and Theresa had a similar problem and it's an known fault with that Bosch pump and you've confirmed you're getting fuel out of the filter.
There's also the fuel cut off solenoid and a screw in pressure regulator to check actually on the pump, but until you can get someone to actually whip it off.....?
Has your mate's skinny son been for a look yet ? He might have to undo the nearside engine mount (if he can access it, might have to take the wheel and arch liner off ?) and lower the engine a bit with a trolley jack to gain access to the pump. I think the pump's held in place with three Allen head bolts, the high pressure line is on with a tube nut and olive, the return is just a spring clipped rubber hose and the feed from the filter is a banjo fitting.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
I've just Googled your van Taff015 and I see your dilemma, it'd be easier cutting a hole in the dash than going in through the bonnet !
I'm still convinced it's the little supplementary drive shaft between the two pumps that's failed, especially now since finding out Glen and Theresa had a similar problem and it's an known fault with that Bosch pump and you've confirmed you're getting fuel out of the filter.
There's also the fuel cut off solenoid and a screw in pressure regulator to check actually on the pump, but until you can get someone to actually whip it off.....?
Has your mate's skinny son been for a look yet ? He might have to undo the nearside engine mount (if he can access it, might have to take the wheel and arch liner off ?) and lower the engine a bit with a trolley jack to gain access to the pump. I think the pump's held in place with three Allen head bolts, the high pressure line is on with a tube nut and olive, the return is just a spring clipped rubber hose and the feed from the filter is a banjo fitting.
Best of luck.

little supplementary drive shaft between the two pumps that's failed

Do you have any pointers as to where this is?? is it on the high pressure pump or further along the fuel lines?

Many thanks

Paul

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Taff015, unfortunately it's part of the high pressure injection pump, it provides the drive to the "lift pump" which is bolted to the hp pump, via a tang on the end of the hp pump's shaft and this is the part that fails.
The lift pump needs to supply fuel at 3 bar pressure to the hp pump for it to function, if the tang has snapped off, the lift pump loses its drive and supplies no fuel.
The only other parts that could be suspect is the metering valve and a solenoid, but again, they're part of the hp pump too.
Here's a pic from the net that shows the drive tang on the shaft on part number 200.
20230915_124847.jpg

This is a pic of the full pump unit off our Iveco Daily showing the lift pump (nearest) fastened to the hp pump, the fitting on the left is the fuel supply to the pump directly from the filter.
20221029_183849.jpg

You're still gonna struggle accessing the unit through your letterbox style bonnet though as it's situated on the nearside end of the cylinder head.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi Taff015, unfortunately it's part of the high pressure injection pump, it provides the drive to the "lift pump" which is bolted to the hp pump, via a tang on the end of the hp pump's shaft and this is the part that fails.
The lift pump needs to supply fuel at 3 bar pressure to the hp pump for it to function, if the tang has snapped off, the lift pump loses its drive and supplies no fuel.
The only other parts that could be suspect is the metering valve and a solenoid, but again, they're part of the hp pump too.
Here's a pic from the net that shows the drive tang on the shaft on part number 200.
View attachment 809218

This is a pic of the full pump unit off our Iveco Daily showing the lift pump (nearest) fastened to the hp pump, the fitting on the left is the fuel supply to the pump directly from the filter.
View attachment 809220
You're still gonna struggle accessing the unit through your letterbox style bonnet though as it's situated on the nearside end of the cylinder head.
Thanks for the info and pictures. The guy who is looking into it for me is rather thin so I recon I can slot him in the gap!!!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Clearly I'm being thick here.. I take it easy start is something i use?
Its a spray you spray into the air intake whilst cranking the engin e its a fuel sothe engine will fire if it has a problem with no fuel reaching the engine best done with two people or very long arms

Joey B

Free Member
Oct 29, 2023
Clydebank, UK
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 656
Exp
May this year
Thanks for the info and pictures. The guy who is looking into it for me is rather thin so I recon I can slot him in the gap!!!
Hi Taff's, new member here. I had the exact same issue with my van, a 55 plate with the same engine. I've been following the post and decided to remove the high pressure pump and have it checked. The engineer stripped it an rebuilt it with new seals on the low pressure side because they were "flat ".
I was not convinced that this would cause it not to start, so you can Imagine my relief when I refitted it and it started right away.
I was less than happy with the cost (£354), but with hindsight, it was worth it in the end.
Hope you have it sorted soon 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back