Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two (1 Viewer)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I had a couple of months off your old thread and was dreading the catch up. I only work 12 hours in a day where i get to read your updates so 3 nights shifts would have done it.

For others who want a quick precis of what i read

Went France
Got to spain
found a dog
chatted to orange sellers
freeloaded way round spain
came home

All the other details are incidental

Have a great trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
It's bloody peeing it down here now , jade and I are in bed lol I'm reading she's sleeping.

I was considering a takeaway tonight as ye never get good ones in Spain but not sure if they will deliver to a Motor home in a car park lol ....But I'll try

I miss read that at first - knew Jade was clever but reading?? ;)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Nice spot this for a night, there were a few cars coming and going last night but not the usual noisy buggers with stereos so I can only guess it's somewhere young couples come for a spot of how's her father.

No objection if no noise.
Few doggy walkers , joggers etc in morning even a dozen horse riders.

Lovely walks jade and I had another pleasant walk around one of the lakes this morning there's a few of them with different trails around them.
Nice sunny but very fresh morning.
20190117_093347.jpg
20190117_093351.jpg
20190117_095715.jpg
20190117_095824.jpg
20190117_095829.jpg
20190117_100121.jpg
20190117_100505.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well I survived the m25 ....the a14 north was a carpark the entire length of it ...I was glad I was going south, the m20 loosened all my fillings but I'm now at chunnel hq and I've been put on an earlier train free of charge so I'm going at 17.20 rather than 18.20 .

So just having a spot of lunch and hopefully the sun will put a bit power in my batteries as the 12v charger on Toby is crap compared to franky , my batteries are down at 73% :( and only 3.3 amps go in from engine running

Franky was about 17 amps

Heater wasn't playing the game last night as battery was down at 67% it kept cutting out
Not as self sufficient as franky was ...hopefully get a bit more sun soon or dare I say it I may need to use the odd aire or gasp campsite so I can plug in. That'll break my heart lol.

I wish my rear view camera could record at sometimes cause I had a Muppet up my rear end on the a14 where it was a 40mph limit and I had Toby on cruise at 40mph overtaking a massive line of lorries and this sod in a wee Vauxhall Adam was behind me flashing lights and waving his arms about like a nutter wanting past . I was doing the limit so I wasn't moving in between the trucks just to come out again. So eventually when I passed the lorries and moved in to the other lane I pretended to be sleeping as he drove past :p

Flipping eedjit.

Anyway I've a couple of hours before boarding so off to read for a bit ....catch ya later.

Oh interesting fact , it's 543 miles from my mum's house to the tunnel terminal.

Average 24.2 mpg so far which is about 20% better than franky.
And the cruise control is fan dabby dozey

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
12v charger on Toby is crap compared to franky , my batteries are down at 73% :( and only 3.3 amps go in from engine running
Someting wrong there Hymer use at least 16 mm sq wiring should get 20 - 25 amps on startup and when the battery voltage starts to rise will drop to 10 - 15 amps.
Heater wasn't playing the game last night as battery was down at 67% it kept cutting out
I think you have another problem as I assume the heater is a Truma C6002 Combi, they shouldn't fail until the battery voltage gets below 11v.

I wondering if your batteries have had it.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Someting wrong there Hymer use at least 16 mm sq wiring should get 20 - 25 amps on startup and when the battery voltage starts to rise will drop to 10 - 15 amps.

I think you have another problem as I assume the heater is a Truma C6002 Combi, they shouldn't fail until the battery voltage gets below 11v.

I wondering if your batteries have had it.
It's just a set of new batteries I fitted late October. Definately only showing +3 .3 amps going in when engine running and they were staying at 100% at home but steadily Been dropping since last week, not had much sunshine so really only been getting charged from driving.

The heater has been fine except last night it was like the fan kept going off
Been getting a constant green light but a flickering red one at times.

Batteries have never been below 12.4 as far as I can see but heater still cutting off.

Unless I've got a faulty room stat but that would have had to just happen.

It's typical things start to play up when I'm away

Edit I've stuck the heater on just now just to see and it's running ok at the minute. I did notice I had the gas bottle only turned on a little bit so that might have been something to do with it......I'll update that later. Still got intermittent red flashing light on control though.

Annoying about the charging when driving though, I did expect that to be better.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's just a set of new batteries I fitted late October. Definately only showing +3 .3 amps going in when engine running and they were staying at 100% at home but steadily Been dropping since last week, not had much sunshine so really only been getting charged from driving.
Have you got an LCD control panel that you are reading the current from or separate battery monitor? Worth cheking with a meter in case its a faulty panel. Also check the 50 amp maxi fuse by the starter battery, the one inline with the EBL, the split charge relay is inside the EBL.

The heater has been fine except last night it was like the fan kept going off
Been getting a constant green light but a flickering red one at times.
Batteries have never been below 12.4 as far as I can see but heater still cutting off.
Constant Red is low vlotage. On the side of the heater there is a cover over the PCB, worth taking the cover off and plugging and unplugging all the connectors and if you have any switch cleaner giving them a squirt. Fairly common for the connectors to play up.

Unless I've got a faulty room stat but that would have had to just happen.
I don't think it will cause a flickering light, if you disconnect it, the heater should run at full blast - I think.

Edit:

Won't affect the alternator charging, when changing the batteries did you make sure the EBL was set for the correct type of battery, as if you fitted standard wet cell batteries and the EBL is set to Gel on EHU it can fry them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ere what a caffufle getting the shuttle from our side eh , 4 times I had to show my passport, some guy insisted on checking my gas was off. Coming over from France I think I showed my passport once lol.

Very quiet loading though not many on it and the distance I had to drive down I thought I was driving all the way to calais but jade completely unphased by the journey as you can see
20190117_170149.jpg
20190117_174842.jpg

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
Hello Tam and Jade

I only caught the back end of your 1st set of travels and so look forward to reading about your new adventures.

Please try to stop showing pictures of cute Jade otherwise my plans for a dog will be prematurely brought forward and nows not a good time for a pooch.

Just joking, keep the cute dog pictures coming !(y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hey Tam @Northernraider
Are you aware that you might need a green card from your insurance company after March 29th?
Don't know any details as it's not going to affect me, so it's just a heads up.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hello Tam and Jade

I only caught the back end of your 1st set of travels and so look forward to reading about your new adventures.

Please try to stop showing pictures of cute Jade otherwise my plans for a dog will be prematurely brought forward and nows not a good time for a pooch.

Just joking, keep the cute dog pictures coming !(y)
Like babies if you wait for what you think may be a good time for a dog the chance may pass you by. I'd say go for it :)
I wouldn't be without mine for anything these days.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hey Tam @Northernraider
Are you aware that you might need a green card from your insurance company after March 29th?
Don't know any details as it's not going to affect me, so it's just a heads up.
I spoke to them just last week and told them my plans , at the minute they said there was no need to worry as they believe cover won't be effected even if no deal. But as I might visit Morocco or turkey they gave me one anyway that's is good till mid August when my policy is due for renewal.

I was also checking and confirming my breakdown cover etc and all is good

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well as luck would have it I think I have a fault on my boiler. Still getting heat from it but it keeps cutting out and fan keeps slowing down. I have a flashing red led which comes on then goes off again. Going on the trouble shooting guide none of the reasons given apply, batteries are at 12.5 v plus , plenty of gas , no vents blocked or covered etc ive been messing around with it for a few hours now and cant see nothing so I'm stumped. So I need to get someone to have a look at that for me .....had enough with the alde system on the last van playing up and was quite impressed with this one so far. I don't think it's anything serious but i need the heating to work.

And my relay that charges the leisure battery while driving doesn't seem to be doing anything either , not sure where that's located though.

Bloody vans ....it's never simple.

So I'm off to bed ...Not sure where I'm heading tomorrow probably in the direction of rouen...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Still getting heat from it but it keeps cutting out and fan keeps slowing down. I have a flashing red led which comes on then goes off again. Going on the trouble shooting guide none of the reasons given apply,
Could be the combustion fan playing up, if it slows down the burner will turn off. Hope it is the fan as the electronic PCB is over 300 quid.
And my relay that charges the leisure battery while driving doesn't seem to be doing anything either , not sure where that's located though.
Obviously didn't read my earlier post:)
I told you it's inside the Elektroblock I think it's mounted on the PCB.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
good to know you are on the road again Tam and brilliant pictures as usual! You will definitely need your heater working properly, my neighbours arrived back here (Bermejales) a couple of days ago and they said their journey had been absolutely freezing and we have snow forecast for next week Brrr
When you get Milo I think you will need to invest in a Harness with a centre chest attachment point it prevents all pulling, wonderful things you may even want to treat Jade to one as well,
Anyway have a super trip, don't rely on the aires too much this trip for electric ans water, most of them had electric and water turned off when I came down in the decemberof 2016 and the one camp site I stopped at outside Pamplona maintained they were open but there was no hot water to be had on site!Good Luck.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Could be the combustion fan playing up, if it slows down the burner will turn off. Hope it is the fan as the electronic PCB is over 300 quid.

Obviously didn't read my earlier post:)
I told you it's inside the Elektroblock I think it's mounted on the PCB.

No idea regards the fan , it seems to run at full pelt and then there's a click which causes lights etc to flicker and it then slows down, it will then build up speed again and same thing happens , still hot air coming out though. It's like it thinks it's up to temperature but isn't if you know what I mean.

I'm no electrically minded though ....mechanical I'm better but electrics I'm pants with.

I didn't see your earlier post regarding charger, it seems to power fridge okay in fact this one is great on 12v and the auto switching works fantastic. But going by the info on the control panel when engine is running it's anything from +1amp to +3.3 amp which isn't right.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
good to know you are on the road again Tam and brilliant pictures as usual! You will definitely need your heater working properly, my neighbours arrived back here (Bermejales) a couple of days ago and they said their journey had been absolutely freezing and we have snow forecast for next week Brrr
When you get Milo I think you will need to invest in a Harness with a centre chest attachment point it prevents all pulling, wonderful things you may even want to treat Jade to one as well,
Anyway have a super trip, don't rely on the aires too much this trip for electric ans water, most of them had electric and water turned off when I came down in the decemberof 2016 and the one camp site I stopped at outside Pamplona maintained they were open but there was no hot water to be had on site!Good Luck.
Yeah it's pretty cold Val so the heating would be good , it is heating up it just isn't right .

I have a harness for jade she's had one from the start and I've a couple of other ones here too. I've also a halti for jade which stops her pulling on the lead. The downside when she has her harness and I let her off is she gets it soaking wet and dirty and it's rarely dry for the next walk and I think it must be uncomfortable wearing a wet harness , I also need it for her in van while travelling so I've been using the halti and lead for walkies in this weather.

I'd like to find an aire with electric mostly to see if the heating does the same thing while plugged in as a process of elimination. And to boost batteries a bit. But will see what I find on route.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Gonna have to watch this for a week heading dieppe - spain week on saturday for the weather update and if water taps are frozen or not - if you need a smallish spare part brought over could do it but i'm gonna head across to the med side after irun but offer is there if you need it

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I'd like to find an aire with electric mostly to see if the heating does the same thing while plugged in as a process of elimination. And to boost batteries a bit. But will see what I find on route.

There is a newish aire at Caudry (near Cambrai) with a cc barrier and ehu included in the price . We stopped there the other week.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When you run the engine, what does it show volts wise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back