LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I get really fed up with motorhomes getting the blame for the rubbish and mess ....most of the time this is used as nothing more than an excuse.

Most motorhomes have toilets and bins in them and the majority of motorhomers will use those .
It's the daytime car visitors I see throwing litter about or casually leaving their drink cups and bottles at the side of their car door pretending they are going to lift it before driving off but always seem to forget.

It's also them I see filing off in to the bushes or behind trees to relieve themselves many times not just a pee but are crapping everywhere too which they leave on the ground often accompanied by a load of paper or baby wipes.

I see this nearly every day when I'm parked up in places.... .filthy buggers the lot of them.

But is anything done about it?
No it's easier to blame the vehicles with toilets in them

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
but if someone puts something up in a public forum they can expect critisisem , dont have to agree with what they say because they are a nice guy.
No - but we tend to agree if the poster is right in what they say - which @GJH is when it comes to MH parking.
Now, I appreciate you don't like what he says, that you think the law is wrong & outdated but nevertheless it doesn't make it any less correct.

As for Search4sites - I don't like it because it has ripped off others work, is often wrong. Has it changed? Plenty of other resources to find appropriate places to park/camp overnight.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
the bloke who writes www.searchforsites.co.uk has done far more for finding parking spots for motorhomers than @GJH but what does he get but critisism and running down , why?

Not from me, I applaud Searchforsites. This is a really great resource for me as it lists a variety of types of stop overs both legal as in CL's and campsites etc and others some might say are not although a pub landlord or farmshop owner letting one or two motorhomes use their car park is hardly crime of the century.

If some of the people/organisations the data comes from object to Searchforsites publicising it, they have the means to do something about it, as yet, as far as I know there have been no challenges which have forced SFS to remove listings. SFS is very similar to "Campercontact" which has similar diverse listings and I am not aware of that resource attracting criticism of the sort SFS has. Indeed it is very popular and well used.

There maybe some inaccuracies in SFS but they are mostly from contributors and I am happy to accept that mistakes are made. In other publications there are also errors. "Bordatlas" has caught us out several times with GPS co-odinates that are way out and "All the Aires" should probably be renamed, "some of the aires" as there are many that are missing. I have also found descriptions to be inaccurate to.

I think one has to accept that any guide or publication of this nature will have some errors but that's life. As for SFS I really appreciate what the owner has done and I would go as far as saying it is as good or better in many cases than other guides and the app is very well presented. It is certainly the first thing I look at when doing my research.

I am not making a big deal about it but its personal choice. If others don't agree and don't for whatever reason want to avail themselves that's fine with me.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
No - but we tend to agree if the poster is right in what they say - which @GJH is when it comes to MH parking.
Now, I appreciate you don't like what he says, that you think the law is wrong & outdated but nevertheless it doesn't make it any less correct.

As for Search4sites - I don't like it because it has ripped off others work, is often wrong. Has it changed? Plenty of other resources to find appropriate places to park/camp overnight.

I was just wondering who's work SFS has "ripped off", do you know who's and whether, if aggrieved, they have done anything about it. I do know that the same locations can be seen in different guides so I just wonder who is ripping off who.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Just popped in to check how it's going... eat some popcorn.
The law changed yet has it?
Have we become France?

Thought not.

Surely it's about time a new thread was started about aires in the UK

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I was just wondering who's work SFS has "ripped off", do you know who's and whether, if aggrieved, they have done anything about it. I do know that the same locations can be seen in different guides so I just wonder who is ripping off who.
i quite agree , if someone doesnt want something copied the best thing to do is not put it on the internet in the first place, i dont know if there has been some friction in the past with the guy that writes it because , all long time members seem to have a downer on him, and he is in fact a member on here but very rarely posts, and instead of just dismissing it out of hand wouldnt it be better if more folks helped him out a bit with putting anything that is wrong , right , its quite simple and anything you post on it is useually up on the site in less than a day.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I use search for sites a fair bit in the UK and park 4 night more over here in spain and portugal.

Tried camper contact and don't like it

From what I see on both apps most of the content comes from people using the parking places and adding them to the site.

I tend to very rarely leave a review or comment on any of them as it just makes them more popular.

I binned the all the aires book as it was too much hassle looking through it for a stop and was often incorrect and required updating frequently whereas a free app is interactive and is updated almost daily with comments from people who actually stayed there.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
i quite agree , if someone doesnt want something copied the best thing to do is not put it on the internet in the first place, i dont know if there has been some friction in the past with the guy that writes it because , all long time members seem to have a downer on him, and he is in fact a member on here but very rarely posts, and instead of just dismissing it out of hand wouldnt it be better if more folks helped him out a bit with putting anything that is wrong , right , its quite simple and anything you post on it is useually up on the site in less than a day.

Doing so would help out everyone who uses SFS, I would happily do that.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
who's work SFS has "ripped off", do you know who's and whether, if aggrieved, they have done anything about it.
when he started out he said he was compiling a site using all POIs sets he could find.. and putting them on one site.. good idea, saves searching... but ONLY if you ask the person who owns the data before doing so and get permission..

France Passion was ripped off and they took action.. As far as I know they have now been removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
when he started out he said he was compiling a site using all POIs sets he could find.. and putting them on one site.. good idea, saves searching... but ONLY if you ask the person who owns the data before doing so and get permission..

France Passion was ripped off and they took action.. As far as I know they have now been removed

I found this interesting but I think if someone feels their rights have been violated and do nothing about it they can hardly care overmuch. France Passion obviously did and rightly on complaint their information was removed, I don't know about Britstops though. Clearly we are not talking about original though or articles etc.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

France passion sites are on there

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I was just wondering who's work SFS has "ripped off"
Well BritStops & Passion France for starters - but I haven't looked for awhile...
Pretty sure that © means copyright claimed which is on both the C&CC and CMC sites
Not sure if he used any of @GJH 's data

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Cmc and ccc are also on

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm not too precious about Search4Sites - after all, most of the music streaming sites started off on the shady side of the law [as did Richard Branson]...
Is it a bit like when most of us started taping the top twenty at home... technically illegal but did it harm anyone despite the "Hope Taping Is Killing Music" slogans...
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

The bad taste, for me, is that by charging for his app, and advertising revenue, he has gone "commercial" and is making money off other people's work without giving credit, let alone royalties.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm not too precious about Search4Sites - after all, most of the music streaming sites started off on the shady side of the law [as did Richard Branson]...
Is it a bit like when most of us started taping the top twenty at home... technically illegal but did it harm anyone despite the "Hope Taping Is Killing Music" slogans...
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

The bad taste, for me, is that by charging for his app, and advertising revenue, he has gone "commercial" and is making money off other people's work without giving credit, let alone royalties.
Chargeing(n) I am full member never paid a penny(n)

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Cmc and ccc are also on

Thats interesting, I imagine that they, CMC and CCC, would take action if they thought their revenue was harmed but obviously haven't perhaps because they see SFS as just anthother way of publicising their sites at no financial cost to them. Perhaps that's why others have not taken action either. After all the publications of site details if nothing more than advertising and if someone else does it for you for nothing..........

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Thats interesting, I imagine that they, CMC and CCC, would take action if they thought their revenue was harmed
...or perhaps they've made a judgement that legal costs of proceedings will outweigh any possibility of recovery of those costs, let alone damages against a sole trader... :whistle:

Chargeing(n) I am full member never paid a penny(n)
...and does that make his actions any less wrong?
Screenshot_20180807-133849_Samsung Internet.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
well i have a field where you can park if you want a fiver a night,

I think you would need to register as a CL or a CS with a exempt organisation if you wanted to stay within the law though.

I get really fed up with motorhomes getting the blame for the rubbish and mess ....most of the time this is used as nothing more than an excuse.

Most motorhomes have toilets and bins in them and the majority of motorhomers will use those .
It's the daytime car visitors I see throwing litter about or casually leaving their drink cups and bottles at the side of their car door pretending they are going to lift it before driving off but always seem to forget.

It's also them I see filing off in to the bushes or behind trees to relieve themselves many times not just a pee but are crapping everywhere too which they leave on the ground often accompanied by a load of paper or baby wipes.

I see this nearly every day when I'm parked up in places.... .filthy buggers the lot of them.

But is anything done about it?
No it's easier to blame the vehicles with toilets in them

I hope you are recording this action and keeping a note of registration numbers. At least then you have evidence when you report them.

When we stop in a "free" spot we collect litter and have been known to phone the local council so they can come and collect.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
...or perhaps they've made a judgement that legal costs of proceedings will outweigh any possibility of recovery of those costs, let alone damages against a sole trader... :whistle:

...and does that make his actions any less wrong?
View attachment 247780
sorry but it was you who brought up , he was charging as if it was the reason it is wrong, but saying that i have found the app no different than the website and thats still free(y):)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think you would need to register as a CL or a CS with a exempt organisation if you wanted to stay within the law though.

I hope you are recording this action and keeping a note of registration numbers. At least then you have evidence when you report them.

When we stop in a "free" spot we collect litter and have been known to phone the local council so they can come and collect.
I'm in Portugal at the minute it's been here and in Spain I've seen this the most

No point in me taking a list of numbers to be honest the amount of them I see it would be a full time job

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
pretty similer to @GJH s opinion of french aires when hes never used them
Sorry, you've lost me. When have I ever expressed an adverse opinion of aires in France?
When you are (unsuccessfully) searching the forum for the answer to that you might come across a few posts over the last 11 years (as Fun started about a year after I started my site) which mention the personal research I have done (as opposed to harvesting (often inaccurate) data from other people. You might also see the posts detailing the problems I had with other people breaching copyright (stealing) in my datasets and selling them as their own even when I made them available free.

By the way, please don't think of that invitation as in any way trying to justify what I have done to you because I have no intention of it meaning that. I have no need to whatsoever :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
well i have a field where you can park if you want a fiver a night
Quite correct. Unless, of course, one is happy to take unfair advantage of the thousands of farmers and others who have invested money to try to run a successful, honest, business :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@GJH whether they realise it or not motorhomers in the UK owe you a huge debt for the work you have done in approaching so many local authorities and asking about parking. By asking in advance it gives a good impression.

Asking for forgiveness afterwards cuts no ice with me having been the victim of a young man who thought his Mum would forgive him for "borrowing" her just delivered new car without permission - he managed to embed it into my house.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH whether they realise it or not motorhomers in the UK owe you a huge debt for the work you have done in approaching so many local authorities and asking about parking. By asking in advance it gives a good impression.

Asking for forgiveness afterwards cuts no ice with me having been the victim of a young man who thought his Mum would forgive him for "borrowing" her just delivered new car without permission - he managed to embed it into my house.
Thank you.
Criticism from people who can't be bothered to research the facts but level it anyway, just because they don't like the truth, doesn't upset me at all. It simply serves to show up their own shortcomings.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If the website, being criticised, is SFS?. What they are doing is what "Trivago" does for hotels?. It used to be called "Data Mining". Bringing together many different threads of information to one place, in order to perform sorting and information gathering. It is done ALL THE TIME. by organisations as diverse as the UK government, Amazon, E-Bay. Pay-Pal. etc;.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Thank you.
Criticism from people who can't be bothered to research the facts but level it anyway, just because they don't like the truth, doesn't upset me at all. It simply serves to show up their own shortcomings.

Graham. Whilst I appreciate that you are attempting to do what you are good at, from your apparent background, and the information you access is extremely useful(y). My contention is that you tend to view "life" as conditioned by strict "legalities". There are others who would contend that being "conditioned" is tantamount to being like lab rats. Nothing in this world would have been achieved without the input of the occasional "Rebel", Nor the actions of those who where prepared to commit "Civil Disobedience", (vote`s for Women?).

There is a BIG gap between a few who wish to have somewhere to rest for a few hours, and those who try and build a "Traveller Site" by the back door hoping for retrospective planning permission by (then) playing the "Minority/Race" card!. Something currently being attempted nearby at the moment.

Carry on with the good work,(y). But be aware that reminding all and sundry that a "law" exists, Is always likely to be contentious. There is NOTHING the average Eurocrat likes more than to be able to Say "but that is the "Rules". And believe me there when I say, their is nothing more likely to get a lot of peoples back`s up either!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back