Why is Motorhome insurance so expensive (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2023
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Hello, I've never insured a Motorhome before, so looking to take out my first policy on a £95,000 Carthago and the cost is coming in at £1275. Is this about right or is this expensive.

I don't have any NCD for motorhomes, but have 3 other cars all with 15 years plus, I have no accidents or driving convictions. If that is the going rate, then that is fine. Please quote was from Adrian Flux.

Thank you
Mark

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
NFU branches are tied agents they are not employed by NFU. I think there are only about 3 of them that will insure Motorhome, Chichester & Louth are two of them.
Just to confirm, NFU DL post code in North Yorkshire cover me £340.00 which I think is very reasonable.

Upvote 0

Gyro

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleep KemertonXL
Exp
since 2003
Hello, I've never insured a Motorhome before, so looking to take out my first policy on a £95,000 Carthago and the cost is coming in at £1275. Is this about right or is this expensive.

I don't have any NCD for motorhomes, but have 3 other cars all with 15 years plus, I have no accidents or driving convictions. If that is the going rate, then that is fine. Please quote was from Adrian Flux.

Thank you
Mark
Try CMC they give the cover I need and cheapest I can find. The difference with other quotes is far more than membership fee.

Upvote 0
May 22, 2021
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Elldis acordo 105
Exp
Caravan for 50 years motorhome since 2019
Hi I’ve just had a quote from RIPE for insurance £385 I’m with LV at the moment and with 1 fault accidents and full NCB over £600 on 2019 £56000 motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2022

Thank you
Mark
Try LV= and Caravan and Motorhome club. Check the Trustpilot revues for the insurance company's claims handlers. This matters far more than the cost of the insurance

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2019
Brackley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year

Thank you
Mark
You could use one of your car 15 year ncb on the van and start new with the car maybe cheaper

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000

Thank you
Mark
Try caravan guard come out as one of the top m/Home insurers,
year after year, and know their m/home business which becomes obvious
as soon as you speak to them
it is only a phone call away, give them a try.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My motorhome cost 0.6% of its value to insure. My car costs 3% of its value to insure. Car insurance is more expensive than motorhome insurance.

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Try CMC they give the cover I need and cheapest I can find. The difference with other quotes is far more than membership fee.
I went with CAMC and the difference was 3 times the membership fee..... Flux doubled mine... same details etc just 1 year older for the van and me.... oh well CAMC got my business, same cover and with AXA...

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
On vehicle insurance and as info only.
In the UAE it don't matter if you 18 and just past your test or 80 and can barely? see vehicle insurance is usually 3 or 4% of the value of the vehicle.
So a rich kid of 18 can buy a Ferrari, and the old bloke can buy a Picanto or visa versa.

I know i know it would/could not work here, but it works overthere.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My motorhome cost 0.6% of its value to insure. My car costs 3% of its value to insure. Car insurance is more expensive than motorhome insurance.
My first mk1 Cortina GT I had to pay 71% of vehicle value for FC.
My lhd Fiat 1500s Osca_maserati cost 31% & that was only t,p,f&t.
Cloverleaf would insure anything & if the quote was from them you knew there wasn't any point asking elsewhere:LOL:

Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
I have just changed my Autotrail Comanche for a Hymer B680, rang Comfort to informe of the change and they refused to cover me and will send a refund for the balance, I asked what the problem was and they said because of previous claims, I pointed out that the claims were before I paid for this years insurance they just said sorry can't cover you, go figure !

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2022
How do you know that until you claim
Look at Trustpilot and other review sites - Check especially to see which company actually does the claims handling. There are some lovely companies with excellent reviews out there - the problem is that the reviewers are saying how nice the company is to deal with - NOT what happens with a claim. My experience over many years is that LV= and NFU treat claims fairly. If the insurance is cheap, the reason just might be that they don't pay out!

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
I have just changed my Autotrail Comanche for a Hymer B680, rang Comfort to informe of the change and they refused to cover me and will send a refund for the balance, I asked what the problem was and they said because of previous claims, I pointed out that the claims were before I paid for this years insurance they just said sorry can't cover you, go figure !
Genuine question, Under these circumstances do you have to declare this to the new insurance company. Think they ask have you had insurance cancelled, but don’t know under what circumstances. In this case they won’t insure you rather than you having had a dispute with them.

Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
Genuine question, Under these circumstances do you have to declare this to the new insurance company. Think they ask have you had insurance cancelled, but don’t know under what circumstances. In this case they won’t insure you rather than you having had a dispute with them.
I have just cancelled the Safeguard insurance and gone with NFU (thank you Funsters) when asked if I had been refused cover I told the girl that safeguard did'nt give a straight answer as to why, she said not to worry it's just that sometimes companies just refuse to cover certain vans.

Upvote 0

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair

Thank you
Mark
Originally our Kontiki renewal was over £800with Devitt insurance but with Motorhome direct it was £675and that includes breakdown and legal cover - definitely shop around.
Ours was brought down by changing storage areas as you say post codes is everything.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
For the last 3 years have been with Motorhome Protect, all part of the insurance factory AiB, Markerstudy Lv etc
74 in a few weeks no claims fines ticket 8yrs ncb
Last year £340 with lots of add ons. This year's invite £670 🙄 no ta. AiB dearer Adrian flux dearer
Finally found one that suits my needs £274.42
And I have my breakdown with same underwriter since ADAC stopped doing UK residents
Ok nothing special 2004 sprinter conversion registered as motor caravan
May be of use to someone

https://www.ripeinsurance.co.uk/mot...rBWPuL9lZcv8klMWGJx7drngY8lwMISwaAgEmEALw_wcB

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Weird that post code is the decider when many vans probably spend more time away from the post code than parked actually at it..BUSBY
I expect most people’s spend more time at home than in their vans. Whilst away from home you sleep in it at night which seems to be when most thefts take place, so much lower risk of theft.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
If you think insurance for a MH is expensive, just had a friend tell me that a friend of his had a new Range Rover on order £150K worth. Just rang his insurance company to get cover ready for collection a week later. Got quoted £38k.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
For the last 3 years have been with Motorhome Protect, all part of the insurance factory AiB, Markerstudy Lv etc
74 in a few weeks no claims fines ticket 8yrs ncb
Last year £340 with lots of add ons. This year's invite £670 🙄 no ta. AiB dearer Adrian flux dearer
Finally found one that suits my needs £274.42
And I have my breakdown with same underwriter since ADAC stopped doing UK residents
Ok nothing special 2004 sprinter conversion registered as motor caravan
May be of use to someone

https://www.ripeinsurance.co.uk/mot...rBWPuL9lZcv8klMWGJx7drngY8lwMISwaAgEmEALw_wcB
Just tried that site but dearer for me.
But thanks for the heads up.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
They are all blaming big increases and payout across the industry. After phone calls to existing insurers wife’s car 264 up to 350 quick call back down to 271, mine 333 up to £470 quick phone back down to £339 seems the increases are an excuse and certainly worth a phone call.
Who was that with please?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
.......had a new Range Rover .......... Just rang his insurance company to get cover ready for collection a week later. Got quoted £38k.
£38k is exactly ten times the cost of my first house.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back