Why is Motorhome insurance so expensive (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2023
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Hello, I've never insured a Motorhome before, so looking to take out my first policy on a £95,000 Carthago and the cost is coming in at £1275. Is this about right or is this expensive.

I don't have any NCD for motorhomes, but have 3 other cars all with 15 years plus, I have no accidents or driving convictions. If that is the going rate, then that is fine. Please quote was from Adrian Flux.

Thank you
Mark

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Have you tried Comfort, they do require a tracker for £75k and above or if its a Ford of any value.
I duly had my conversation with Comfort today. £600 quoted - £200 more than I paid last year with LV - but also stipulated was
"SUBJECT TO THATCHAM APPROVED VTS S5 OR S7 TRACKER" A quick look around at the cost of getting the relevant tracker and fitting it - £200ish I then have to have a live subscription of around £120 to £200. My surprise of the day was NFU coming in at £680 with no requirement for a tracker, great cover for EU trips, and interest free instalments.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marky7seven
Oct 25, 2023
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Just looked at the thread title and thought is motorhome insurance expensive? I've never had a car a similar value to the motorhomes being discussed on here what would insurance be for a year on a £80k car? It could be motorhome insurance is the same or cheaper.
I have a car worth twice the amount of my motorhome, and insurance is nearly half. Difference is I have experience and 15 years and more no claims. But have zero experience with a motorhome, so fingers crossed it should be alot cheaper in a few years.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marky7seven
Oct 25, 2023
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
OP, I paid £493 with Comfort for our 2023 Adria Compact in December, slightly lower value than your MH. This is our first van, so no NCD to transfer, but Comfort mirrored what I have on my car. HTH.
Thank you, it would have been slightly cheaper at £718, but I have added legal and breakdown to the policy.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Never owned or insured a motorhome before

Shouldn't make any difference. My current MH is my first. No previous experience Brand-new in 2021 and it was £341. Admittedly It was £500 last year. Will be interesting to see what it is in March.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have a car worth twice the amount of my motorhome, and insurance is nearly half. Difference is I have experience and 15 years and more no claims. But have zero experience with a motorhome, so fingers crossed it should be a lot cheaper in a few years.

Have they said they will give no claims? Many companies don't for motorhomes.

Comfort don't do no claims on motor homes but it is competitively priced. Mines gone up each year not down.

Similar to classic car policies.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Is price the most important factor? The reputation of the insurance underwriter for paying claims fairly and promptly is something that concerns me as much as saving a few £s up front.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I did say “reputation.”Of course there are no guarantees that they will live up to their reputations when it comes to an individual claim.
I just can't see how you can find out that reputation? If you look at reviews are they reliable?

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Just looked at the thread title and thought is motorhome insurance expensive? I've never had a car a similar value to the motorhomes being discussed on here what would insurance be for a year on a £80k car? It could be motorhome insurance is the same or cheaper.

I think Motorhome insurance for me has been broadly similar to car insurance. Last M5 was an 80k+ car, daily driver with business use and 25k miles per annum, £450… £85k motorhome is £430. Postcode and NC history dictate I think, as well as risk of course.

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Waiting again…..
Exp
Since 2002
I wonder if there is more emphasis by these insurers on the postcode area when assessing risk rather than actual value or other factors? I had the exact opposite from LV for a £95k van - no requirement for a tracker or alarm, but they wanted a dashcam and reversing sensors/camera! There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme nor reason to it. Plus mine was actually less this year!
I’ve just had a similar experience with LV.
Phoned for a quote on a brand new A class we’re due to pick up in March.
Very nice lady asked lots of questions and wanted to be sure it had a reversing camera but didn’t even ask about the vehicle’s cost price or whether it had an alarm or tracker. When I specifically raised these two items with her she checked and said an alarm wasn’t required and that LV never require a vehicle’s value.
I have two other cars insured with them so got some sort of discount but have no specific no claims bonus to be used for this quote. Quote on the motorhome for just under £300/year.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Have they said they will give no claims? Many companies don't for motorhomes.

Comfort don't do no claims on motor homes but it is competitively priced. Mines gone up each year not down.

Similar to classic car policies.
Mine is insured with Axa. OK Its an oldie and nowhere near the high values of some on here but they gave me a discount equal to my cars NCB of 9 Plus years. Had to provide proof of NCD on car renewal that was all. I did go through a broker though and not direct.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Mine is insured with Axa. OK Its an oldie and nowhere near the high values of some on here but they gave me a discount equal to my cars NCB of 9 Plus years. Had to provide proof of NCD on car renawal that was all. I did go through a broker though and not direct.

Yes, I think this is very normal. They take note of your driving experience but it's not classed as a NCB.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
I wonder if there is more emphasis by these insurers on the postcode area when assessing risk rather than actual value or other factors? I had the exact opposite from LV for a £95k van - no requirement for a tracker or alarm, but they wanted a dashcam and reversing sensors/camera! There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme nor reason to it. Plus mine was actually less this year!
I rang NFU for a quote and they point blank refused when I gave my postcode stating that I wasn't rural enough for them. Seems Ironic that I would have though rural locations were more at risk of theft.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I rang NFU for a quote and they point blank refused when I gave my postcode stating that I wasn't rural enough for them. Seems Ironic that I would have though rural locations were more at risk of theft.

Overall I think not. I was born, lived and worked in a Sarf Lundun borough and the level of crime, even in those bygone days, was incomparably higher than in the medium sized market town in which I now reside - and even less in the surrounding area. After being involved with the farming community for some years I suspect there might be a few ‘rural crimes’ in the bottom of slurry pits.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Which branch? Only a few will insure Motorhomes.
To be honest I can't remember but I searched NFU Motorhome insurance and was presented with a number. When I spoke to the operative I asked if they could quote me for motorhome insurance to which he said yes, that was until I gave him my postcode.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Hello, I've never insured a Motorhome before, so looking to take out my first policy on a £95,000 Carthago and the cost is coming in at £1275. Is this about right or is this expensive.

I don't have any NCD for motorhomes, but have 3 other cars all with 15 years plus, I have no accidents or driving convictions. If that is the going rate, then that is fine. Please quote was from Adrian Flux.

Thank you
Mark

I found Adrian Flux to be quite expensive. I used them once to get 1 day cover for a test drive but their quote was twice that of my current insurer. I'm now with Comfort Insurance (broker) and I pay £660 on £85k (including European breakdown cover), stored in a CASSOA location, but I have one very minor accident on the policy (car park scrape). Your circumstances/location/storage will all affect that (as you're probably already aware).

Some people on here pay incredibly small fees.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie

Thank you
Mark
What annual mileage did you state . I reduced mine from 10k to 8k a year it made a big difference . Also is your quote including Europe breakdown / recovery ?

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2023
Paignton, UK
Funster No
MH
Mc louis

Thank you
Mark
Try lifesure I pay £165 fully comprehensive

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back