Why is Motorhome insurance so expensive (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2023
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Hello, I've never insured a Motorhome before, so looking to take out my first policy on a £95,000 Carthago and the cost is coming in at £1275. Is this about right or is this expensive.

I don't have any NCD for motorhomes, but have 3 other cars all with 15 years plus, I have no accidents or driving convictions. If that is the going rate, then that is fine. Please quote was from Adrian Flux.

Thank you
Mark

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Hello, I've never insured a Motorhome before, so looking to take out my first policy on a £95,000 Carthago and the cost is coming in at £1275. Is this about right or is this expensive.

I don't have any NCD for motorhomes, but have 3 other cars all with 15 years plus, I have no accidents or driving convictions. If that is the going rate, then that is fine. Please quote was from Adrian Flux.

Thank you
Mark
Sounds expensive to me, paying a lot less for a van worth a lot more🤔🤔
Have mine through NFU Chichester branch.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Axa gave me a discount equal to the NCB of 9 years plus held on my car again my MH. ok it’s old and nowhere near the value of yours, but happy with the outcome. Deffo need to shop around, try multi-vehicle policies. Also you don’t mention where it will be stored. Postcode will have an impact, parked on your drive will have an impact. Trackers and alarms will have an impact.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Try AIB, mention your a member of MHF you should get 10% discount. Last year I paid less than £550 for a £70k MH.

Insurance is an area where there are so many anomalies it’s difficult to compare quotes between drivers. At least reply’s received will flush out some alternative suppliers you may not have been aware of.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It's just a matter of shopping around. My mil insurance on a small car is quoted at £5 k next year but on the other hand I wouldn't fancy taking on the risk including personal injury to her and others for that price! Have you thought about if you could get reasonably cheap third party only whether you would take the risk on the MH yourself for that amount of money

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Just had my renewal through and it's doubled from £380 to £760 even though everything is the same except for another years NCD.
Went online and got quoted £386 through a comparison site by my insurers who've just told me £760 ?
Cheapest price on the comparison site was £230 for exactly the same cover so I'm going to give them a go.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
It's just a matter of shopping around. My mil insurance on a small car is quoted at £5 k next year but on the other hand I wouldn't fancy taking on the risk including personal injury to her and others for that price! Have you thought about if you could get reasonably cheap third party only whether you would take the risk on the MH yourself for that amount of money
Third party is more expensive than fully comp with some insurers as it’s used by youngest to keep prices down so tends to have higher claim rate. Thats what my broker said anyway.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Third party is more expensive than fully comp with some insurers as it’s used by youngest to keep prices down so tends to have higher claim rate. Thats what my broker said anyway.
I think I heard that too. It might be different for motorhomes though

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp

Thank you
Mark
Hi, give caravanguard a call, my insurance halved because it is stored in c

Thank you
Mark
Hi, give caravanguard a call, they where best but mine is in storage which is a registered with CaSSOA which brings price down. I realise it's swings and roundabouts having to pay for storage but I pay approximately £1000 per annum in total for storage and insurance. Might be worth a try.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Only certain branches of NFU will quote on high price vans.
Just before I collected mine from Germany I was panicking as only the Chichester branch would quote me😳😳😳
But it's not the branch that dictates, it's the underwriter, innit.
At least that what i was told by a person having worked in the field.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just as a recap on insurers can we collectively state who the Underwriters are?

Many people quote the names of brokers, but if one actually looks at the paperwork it has to state somewhere, usually at the bottom in small print, 'This policy is underwritten by XXX '

I suspect that there are only about 4 underwriters in the UK market.

Please will members list who are their Underwriters. They are the people who pay the claim and they are the companies, or Lloyd's syndicates, who are regulated to ensure that they have capital resources, or re-insurance cover, to cover claims, so it is important for members to know who are their Underwriters.

Please look at the papers and let us make a list of who the underwriters are on your policies behind the brokers.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
some nfu branches will not quote for mh's.
They also will not quote if you are not rural enough. Got a point blank refusal to quote me when I gave my postcode and actually said I wasn't rural enough. I've also heard it very much depends on which NFU branch you speak to as to the response you get.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
But it's not the branch that dictates, it's the underwriter, innit.
At least that what i was told by a person having worked in the field.
Seems to be the branch as not all will offer cover, if they all used the same underwriting companies I would have thought they would all be quoting the same🤔🤔 anyways I was happy to get cover and now my insurance is a lot less than others seem to be paying😁😁

Upvote 1

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
NFU branches are tied agents they are not employed by NFU. I think there are only about 3 of them that will insure Motorhome, Chichester & Louth are two of them.
And Stokesley as I know of two Morelo that they have on cover, it helps if you have other business with them when you ask the question about a motorhome though, we are more than happy with our premium considering the price of the van and a windscreen replacement could wipe out at least 6 years premiums in one claim.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only way to check prices and what's included (also the excesses also what windscreen cover you get!) is to do loads of on-line quotes, also mileage makes quite a difference too so don't put it higher than you realistically need.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back