Watching TV in your Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
A Firestick doesn't have to burn through your data. If you go through Settings to the menus and to Data Monitoring then turn it on you can select the quality, if you choose Good imo it will use about 500mb per hour. Even on this, the lowest setting, it hard to see the difference.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
For research, I watched 20 mins of TV recently using data and it consumed about 1gb.
This is why I use a sat dish.

When I bought my last van in 2019 I had an Oyster 5 fitted but did think at the time maybe I shouldn’t have bothered as you could buy a lot of data for £3k.

Not long bought my new van and we still have a Sat system.
Dishes will make a come back due to the data fair usage policy.
Sounds quite a high data rate.
If you didn’t already have the sat dish there’d be settings to optimise the picture quality v data consumption for streaming.

Edit: that I finally notice Sillious Sodus has described :LOL:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve never watched TV in that van before but the new van has a large revolving salad bowl on the the roof, makes a nice noise when you ask to look for a ”stalactite”…. Did just have a Wi-Fi system installed and TBH i can’t see the salad bowl getting much if any use:giggle: got a domestic SIM card installed and will buy a local one when abroad. Once the data has been used up by the nippers then the they can all bugger off out into the great outdoors and experience what life is all about(y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I download a series on Amazon Netflix BBC and 4od which I store on my phone's SD card.
I had trouble casting these TV programmes to the telly but from what I can understand I put my virgin hotspot (ooh er) on and cast my programme onto the firestick which is connected to hotspot on phone

Am I reading that right ?

Ps 8 weeks of holidays so far and watched one film !

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Would anyone watch anything in 4K in a ‘van………?:unsure:
Yes me but only for football. I have WiFi and vpn, data roaming so can get BBC I player, Netflix, YouTube etc. We have 50gig per month fair use and that's been more than fine for us while here in Norway/Finland/Sweden.
Guess it sort of depends on what and how you watch TV at home

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Back from the days of working for a living, one of my customers were kind enough to give me a "employee contract" (unlimited everything).
But yes, a Firestick will burn through data fairly quickly - even more so if watching anything in 4K
My son recons 1gb an hour watching TV or films.
3 hours a day for 30 days is 90 gb
How much would that be? -and in Europe -- plus the £2 per day data usage fee (£60)?
I cant afford that:Eeek:

I'm 73 now you know :Eeek:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Yes me but only for football. I have WiFi and vpn, data roaming so can get BBC I player, Netflix, YouTube etc. We have 50gig per month fair use and that's been more than fine for us while here in Norway/Finland/Sweden.
I was really referring to tv size in this instance……..how big a tv do you have in the ‘van which is capable of doing justice to a 4K stream…..? :unsure:
In my (limited) experience, with anything less than a 55” screen, it’s difficult to tell the difference between Full HD (1080p) and 4K - does anyone have a tv that big in their ‘van…..?:unsure:;)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Depends on the tv - with ours, I plug in a memory stick and record to that……

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
You could always get a projector, and screen on the side of the van outside that would make it about 80in screen. Worth 6 k quality at that size for a decent football match. Say England v Germany.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Depends on the colour of your ‘van - wouldn’t look too good on a red one…….. ;)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
You could always get a projector, and screen on the side of the van outside that would make it about 80in screen. Worth 6 k quality at that size for a decent football match. Say England v Germany.
You'd need deep pockets for a 6k projector :eek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes. If you don't already have a dish, it's probably better to just pay for data and stream video instead.
But once you have a dish it's there for good.
Buy a months data and when it's gone spend more money on more data.....and repeat for ever

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
We've Firestick and Satellite....the Latter is used more frequently than the Firestick as mobile signal in the UK is appalling in remote spots... Even on the CAMC network locations....Bolton Abbey is one example.... Satellite for the win...none or very poor mobile signal, site wifi is Slooooowww and not built for streaming.... even other places like Burford site... mobile is hit and miss for data...that was O2 and EE which are 2 different frequency bands...... Whatever you choose there is no right or wrong answer.... Safe Travels

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Anyone tried getting Sky Go onto a Firestick recently?
I followed some earlier instructions and added the Downloader App and then located the Sky Go app. It seemed to download but kept crashing.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
A Firestick doesn't have to burn through your data. If you go through Settings to the menus and to Data Monitoring then turn it on you can select the quality, if you choose Good imo it will use about 500mb per hour. Even on this, the lowest setting, it hard to see the difference.
Thanks for this advice and glad I came across it.

In France and whilst don’t usually use a tv in the MH, for some reason I got one sorted and a firestick for this trip.

Well given the sad news of our monarchs death, I watched the procession today and it was burning through about 4 - 5 GB an about.

Changed the settings as you recommend thank you. So should have enough data left to watch the funeral on Monday.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
So I’m driving down through France, It’s 4.45pm. My football team KO at 5pm, It’s on Sky Sports.
If I put put my firestick or Roku thing on the roof will I pick up Sky Tv.

I only ever watch live football on the tv.

Now if I had one of those Satellite Dishes on the roof I would have a perfect picture in seconds and in HD using my Sky Q set up that I pay a ridiculous amount for each month.

Give me a manual Maxview Crank Up system every time.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
It's strange when you drive around the UK and see everyone taking their sat dishes off their house, because they can use their unlimited data instead ....

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have a sat dish because I am incapable of understanding how to get most things Internet to work. I have an absolute blind spot. I can follow instructions but I don't understand the jargon, it's gobblygook. We supposedly have an 'ordinary' aerial in the front windscreen in the motorhome. I have followed the set up details, searched and it says I have 60 plus programmes but I've not managed to get one to view. So thank heavens for the sat dish.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It's strange when you drive around the UK and see everyone taking their sat dishes off their house, because they can use their unlimited data instead ....

The sat dish on my house just keeps on working whenever the interwebby goes down. That happens quite frequently. I ditched Sky but still get all the free channels. The only remaining "subscription" is the BBC's annoying TV tax.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Plain old tv aerial that gets about 160 channels in the UK. Firestick with all the apps for thousands of channels. 100gb on one phone and 50 on another. Sometimes one works and the other doesn’t. Same for all methods inc satellite if you can’t get a line of sight. We watch if it works and don’t if it doesn’t.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Who is the 50gig with please

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
eggs and baskets .....

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Carrying on from the above, if no satellite and you use a MiFi you will need a data sim. I am just setting up my MiFi and have been looking at a new company who have been advertising in the MMM. The company is Broadband Go. What they offer seems very good value. I would like other funsters comments on this company.
Colyboy

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Carrying on from the above, if no satellite and you use a MiFi you will need a data sim. I am just setting up my MiFi and have been looking at a new company who have been advertising in the MMM. The company is Broadband Go. What they offer seems very good value. I would like other funsters comments on this company.
Colyboy
That's what our set up is. Not mifi, but different brand, with ee data sim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back