Watching TV in your Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Mar 5, 2022
Hindford, Oswestry, Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 2.3 F & D
Exp
Since 2021
I am a 'newbie' of only 12 months so plenty of humility here...and I might get egg on my face even posting this. :rolleyes:

I was looking around for a satellite dish set-up so I could watch TV in my chuggabug....so potentially several hundred pounds outlay there depending on the quality etc.

I mentioned this to a tech-savvy nephew and he told me not to waste my money...."just use the ROKU stick off your TV at home", he said..."then link the personal hotspot on your iphone to the ROKU..."

So I did...and I can watch Netflix, Prime Video...everything that I can watch at home on TV...I can watch in the motorhome...and the picture quality is the same. :smiley:

I signed up for additional data with vodafone which didn't cost much...and so I'm happy!

Why does anyone pay hundreds of pounds for satellite dishes when you can get TV reception this way...?:unsure:

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Sorry, you lost me at ROkU.
We have netflix at home and id love to get youtube off my phone and onto a tv whilst away but dont have a clue.šŸ¦§šŸ¦§

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Satellite systems are soo last year darling!
But all streaming needs to be able to pull in a strong dependable mobile phone signal.
If you like remote places theres a chance 3,4 or 5G wont be available.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I am a 'newbie' of only 12 months so plenty of humility here...and I might get egg on my face even posting this. :rolleyes:

I was looking around for a satellite dish set-up so I could watch TV in my chuggabug....so potentially several hundred pounds outlay there depending on the quality etc.

I mentioned this to a tech-savvy nephew and he told me not to waste my money...."just use the ROKU stick off your TV at home", he said..."then link the personal hotspot on your iphone to the ROKU..."

So I did...and I can watch Netflix, Prime Video...everything that I can watch at home on TV...I can watch in the motorhome...and the picture quality is the same. :smiley:

I signed up for additional data with vodafone which didn't cost much...and so I'm happy!

Why does anyone pay hundreds of pounds for satellite dishes when you can get TV reception this way...?:unsure:
For us we have a Sat dish, particularly in the UK mobile internet van be very poor, also when we go abroad roaming is now capped, so for us it is easier and more reliable just to pop a dish up, but agree, over the last few years with cheaper mobile wifi, we probably wouldnt bother with a dish for the UK.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have a dish as the van came supplied with one but we tend to use the firestick more than the dish, oh has unlimited data with 3 so no issues with streaming when in the U.K. For the EU we either use wifi if its available or we download stuff from netflix and prime to watch offline.

OP
OP
Dogstoat
Mar 5, 2022
Hindford, Oswestry, Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 2.3 F & D
Exp
Since 2021
Sorry, you lost me at ROkU.
We have netflix at home and id love to get youtube off my phone and onto a tv whilst away but dont have a clue.šŸ¦§šŸ¦§
1658929510873.png

Cost about Ā£30 ...no co-ax cables, no aerials...receives all TV via your internet when at home...or via your mobile phone personal hotspot if you're in your chuggabug.

You can take it on holiday with you and plug it into TV's in hotel rooms and get Netflix, Prime, youtube... ...everything you can get at home.

Mine even worked in Gibraltar ...except I couldn't get BBC who must block it for those outside the UK somehow.

Hope this assists. Get a younger generation relative /friend to sort it for you...easy once you know how! :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018

We donā€™t have a sat dish and likely never will, we use a mifi for the data and an Apple TV hooked up to the MH TV to watch our streaming channels.

Feb 20, 2022
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 599 sport
Exp
Im a newbie

Beyond me ,perhaps some on here arent as tech savi as your nephew .

Jul 28, 2021
Tiverton, UK
Funster No
MH
rapido i1090
Exp
since 1996
View attachment 646208
Cost about Ā£30 ...no co-ax cables, no aerials...receives all TV via your internet when at home...or via your mobile phone personal hotspot if you're in your chuggabug.

You can take it on holiday with you and plug it into TV's in hotel rooms and get Netflix, Prime, youtube... ...everything you can get at home.

Mine even worked in Gibraltar ...except I couldn't get BBC who must block it for those outside the UK somehow.

Hope this assists. Get a younger generation relative /friend to sort it for you...easy once you know how! :smiley:
amason got them for 24 pounds now

Jun 13, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120 low-line
Exp
Autumn 2020
I use the firestick with some added software but, live today, we are in a field where it says the internet is 4g but my phone on its own is struggling

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Another vote for the firestick.
Have unlimited with 3 and 45gb o2 (virgin) which rolls over data each month. Currently 82gb in hand.
Have had no prob through Spain, Portugal and France on the recent trip.
And no prob in the UK. (so far)
Work off mobile data from home no BB or LL.

Deleted User
As others we use a Firestick for TV but also have our own tablets, for watching different channels, Amazon Prime, Netflix or YouTube, in a pair of these...
Screenshot_20211224-120634_Amazon.jpg

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Firestick and Huawei B535 router in the ā€˜van - havenā€™t needed to use the external aerial (Poynting XPOL-2-5G) with the router (yetā€¦..). (y)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Satellite dishes are coming back into vogue if you go to NW Europe for more than a few days and like your telly. Data roaming is getting very hard to find at an affordable price. Sats are just ornaments in many parts of the UK although still have there place in particulately cold spots around the countries.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
For research, I watched 20 mins of TV recently using data and it consumed about 1gb.
This is why I use a sat dish.

When I bought my last van in 2019 I had an Oyster 5 fitted but did think at the time maybe I shouldnā€™t have bothered as you could buy a lot of data for Ā£3k.

Not long bought my new van and we still have a Sat system.
Dishes will make a come back due to the data fair usage policy.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
On the other hand ...........

As I dont have a TV in the van, and I do take a laptop to keep in touch with business emails/bookings, I have an Hauppauge USB TV tuner and a small external magnetic aerial which work well when I want to watch TV. I also have an external disk drive loaded with films although I've not accessed that for a few years!

and
are similar to the ones I have.

I also have a small Bluetooth speaker I can link to the laptop if I want more bass than the built in speakers deliver.

Rapidoman 2011

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 21, 2013
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9009 DFH
Exp
20 Years Plus
We have a roof mounted 4g jobbie, never use it, watch a couple of good long movies and the data goes quicker than my wife with my wallet. The van came with satellite but l would never buy one again.
Our mobile contract is with Sky, Ā£8.00 per month and unused data rolls over. At the moment l have 164 gigs of data to use, thats after using it for a fortnight in Padstow.
Not saying a satellite is not useful but expensive when you consider how much tv you watch. Enjoy your holiday,

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
For us we have a Sat dish, particularly in the UK mobile internet van be very poor, also when we go abroad roaming is now capped, so for us it is easier and more reliable just to pop a dish up, but agree, over the last few years with cheaper mobile wifi, we probably wouldnt bother with a dish for the UK.
Don't use UK roaming abraod. Just buy a cheap one off, no contract SIM in the country you are going to when you get there. We got 50gb for about 15 euros in Spain.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
For research, I watched 20 mins of TV recently using data and it consumed about 1gb.
This is why I use a sat dish.

When I bought my last van in 2019 I had an Oyster 5 fitted but did think at the time maybe I shouldnā€™t have bothered as you could buy a lot of data for Ā£3k.

Not long bought my new van and we still have a Sat system.
Dishes will make a come back due to the data fair usage policy.
Generally you uses 1gb per hour watching in standard definition (no need for HD in a motorhome) . You can get 50gb for 15 euros or even cheaper (per GB) for 100 if you buy a data SIM abroad. Even UK have some cheap data Sims.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We have unlimited data on Vodafone and Three to keep the firestick fed. Using special apps and paying a sub can get us all of the offerings from SKY and most from USA. The oyster dish with internet is being ripped out, as never use it

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I use a roku works for me, roku stick weighs a few ounces a sat dish weighs several kgs

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Don't you need to buy lot's of data to use Firestick?

I have an roof aerial for Freeview.
How quaint am I :oops: :Eeek:
Back from the days of working for a living, one of my customers were kind enough to give me a "employee contract" (unlimited everything).
But yes, a Firestick will burn through data fairly quickly - even more so if watching anything in 4K

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Would anyone watch anything in 4K in a ā€˜vanā€¦ā€¦ā€¦?:unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.