Strikeback or Growler? (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Titaniu
Exp
Since 2018
Van Bitz will be fitting the Raptor package (Growler, Shadow & Non starter) to my new Pilote van in January. Yes, it's pricey but that is the only negative I could find when comparing it with the other systems on the market. Their communication, method of installation, product and vehicle knowledge were key in my decision making. Lastly, the Funsters discount really helps. (y)
Really interesting thanks, my Chausson is heading to 5 yo in May so Tracker needs renewing and don’t really rate the factory immob with alarm upgrade so been considering something different. If I’m not being too nosey could you give me a rough idea of Club members costs for what you have? Shalln’t be offended if you don’t want to say of course.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Really interesting thanks, my Chausson is heading to 5 yo in May so Tracker needs renewing and don’t really rate the factory immob with alarm upgrade so been considering something different. If I’m not being too nosey could you give me a rough idea of Club members costs for what you have? Shalln’t be offended if you don’t want to say of course.
If you do decide to go with vanbitz remember to ask for your club discount at the time of booking your slot, as it can't be retrospectively applied.

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
Growler
Immobiliser
Tracker

Solar panel and Battery master to power all the above without battery drain.

All fitted by VanBitz.
If your van is worth over £30k, then it's worth protecting.
I have this, but I've found that my solar panel, 140W, isn't enough in this overcast weather, and my engine battery drains pulling the hab battery down with it. So, I'll be beefing that up soon..

May 23, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Competent, sometimes.
We have owned our van 7 years, previous owner had Strikeback fitted in 2012.
We find it is a well designed alarm. If staying somewhere you are unsure of, it can be set as a perimeter alarm.
It has a panic button on the fob, not that we have used it.
It has a self diagnostic feature which allows you to pinpoint alarm activations and/or sensor failures.
Vanbitz have proved able to provide good backup which is fortunate because we have had issues, namely:-
Habitation door sensor failed.
Power feed failed rendering alarm dead.
Cable fault to garage doors and bike loop.

The above faults were dealt with in timely fashion by a visit to vanbitz.

Separately, both status LEDs failed. Replacements were posted to us.

Last year, false alarms were occuring, which, using the built in diagnostic, was traced to the bonnet tilt switch.
Fitted a replacement ourselves from RS components, sorted.

To conclude, a great system but not infallible. We are in Somerset, an hour from Vanbitz. Not as inconvenient as travelling from further afield.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have this, but I've found that my solar panel, 140W, isn't enough in this overcast weather, and my engine battery drains pulling the hab battery down with it. So, I'll be beefing that up soon..
Your problem lies elsewhere

The equipment cannot realistically drain two healthy batteries being supported by 140w solar panel

You need to fix your fault rather that “beef“ anything up 👍🏻

May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Raptor package (Growler, Shadow & Non starter) just makes you feel confident. Being able to turn off the internal sensors when sleeping in it also gives feeling of safety.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
I'm dithering between Strikeback and Growler. Will get the Shadow VTS S5 for certain. I'm now thinking Strikeback/Shadow VTS and non-starter might be a way to go?
Went for the whole thing in the end, as in Raptor. The generous 15% discount made it a bit of a no brainer for us with for the nw van. Ash is very good at explaining everything. All I need now is a van to put it all in.........

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think the rule with solar is fit the biggest most powerful panel that will fit on the roof.
My van is parked under trees, but enough sunlight seems to get through to keep both batteries topped up

Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
I had the growler and non starter fitted to my new van.. Very pleased with it, especially with non starter functionality... However on renewal my insurer this year insisted that I had a tracker fitted. Thought it might be an expensive pain in the bum as didn't want to interfere with vanbitz's great work. On speaking to Ash I was very pleased to learn it was just a paper exercise to upgrade to v6 or v5 tracker..insurer insisted on v5 due to value. Metatrak were very good, sorted it straight away all I needed to do was to upgrade the subscription. They surprised me by supplying the fobs FOC once they saw I had purchased the 3 year subscription. Great service from both vanbitz and metatrak

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Can anyone with a Vanbitz Non Starter MT tell me which App is needed to be downloaded to control it? Android version

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Booked in for the Raptor to be fitted in January, the MH came with an alarm already installed, but is so very quiet it wouldn't deter a thief. I'm looking forward to a very loud siren :)
It is loud. Very loud - personal experience last week as the neighbours can testify. Instant alert from Metatrak.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Went for the whole thing in the end, as in Raptor. The generous 15% discount made it a bit of a no brainer for us with for the nw van. Ash is very good at explaining everything. All I need now is a van to put it all in.........
Same system as we had installed in September. Top job as usual. Way better than some one man bands that I can think of……

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Can anyone with a Vanbitz Non Starter MT tell me which App is needed to be downloaded to control it? Android version
Metatrak plus is the one I use, there was an earlier version just called Metatrak but i'm not sure if that is still available.

AshVanBitz

Funster
Aug 7, 2018
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
I would recommend looking at our new redesigned website www.vanbitz.com as it is now very clear to see the differences between all our systems.
You can also download our latest brochure which again shows the differences.
If you have any problems please let me know.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I would recommend looking at our new redesigned website www.vanbitz.com as it is now very clear to see the differences between all our systems.
You can also download our latest brochure which again shows the differences.
If you have any problems please let me know.
Have a great Christmas everyone down in Taunton……

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have a strike back and very happy with it, flashing LED’s front and rear, when I had a break in they took a car and van along with the MoHo keys, I suspect they did not take the MoHo as one wrong push of a button and the alarm would have gone off, I suspect it was the LED’s that saved the MoHo from being nicked

Feb 16, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
20 years
I have had the full kit from Vanbitz installed for a few years … the service has always been remarkable.
My plug in connector to protect the bikes etc was broken, after speaking to them , they said post back and they will repair.
Yesterday a brand new replacement sent . Thank you Vanbitz , I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

Jul 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7068F
I have booked in to Vanbitz for an alarm system, and they will demonstrate both.
However, I was hoping for some customer feedback to help me decide.

I can see the benefit of a lifetime warranty, but she is 2005, and who knows how long she will go on for, or whether I fancy a change.

Other than that the main benefit seems to be a much louder siren.

Is that it or am i missing the point?

A lot more expensive compared.

I would love to hear your views before I take the plunge.

Karen
Alarms are no longer fitted on cars because people just ignore them when they go off. What makes you think it will be any different on a motorhome?
Although "have you heard my growler" is a cracking icebreaker!

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hiya
Alarms are no longer fitted on cars because people just ignore them when they go off. What makes you think it will be any different on a motorhome?
I wanted security when I am in the van, firstly, and hopefully deter them from taking mine.
Plus it gives a discount on insurance.
Not sure I would ever use that icebreaker, maybe at a funster rally!!!
Karen

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Well the Growler has sirens inside the van making it extremely difficult to stay inside for very long so perhaps limiting the time a thief has to search through your belongings and the immobiliser stops a thief from driving your van away, as has been shown in photographs on this forum of failed attempts at theft.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Interesting are you sure alarms are not fitted ? My 2020 VW transporter T6 has one and as it has a vw wiring loom if you unplug the trailer without unlocking the vehicle the alarm goes off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back