LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I have booked in to Vanbitz for an alarm system, and they will demonstrate both.
However, I was hoping for some customer feedback to help me decide.

I can see the benefit of a lifetime warranty, but she is 2005, and who knows how long she will go on for, or whether I fancy a change.

Other than that the main benefit seems to be a much louder siren.

Is that it or am i missing the point?

A lot more expensive compared.

I would love to hear your views before I take the plunge.

Karen

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
i have the Strikeback with two extra sirens and non starter with all hatches alarmed as I thought growler was very noisy and with the dogs an accidental trigger all hell would be set upon us.
had it on two vans now and itā€™s great. Gives us confidence that unlikely to have van stolenšŸ˜ŠšŸ‘

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have booked in to Vanbitz for an alarm system, and they will demonstrate both.

I can see the benefit of a lifetime warranty, but she is 2005, and who knows how long she will go on for, or whether I fancy a change.

Karen
The non starter is well worth having

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Exactly as a above from Eddie. We have just changed vans and we had the Growler fitted to our old one. First class alarm and the pulsing lights make it a great visual deterrent. Any scroats in the know would go elsewhere rather than have a go at it. Sadly for us, our new van came with a dealer fitted alarm, immobiliser, and a tracker. It is going back in on Monday as it is not functioning correctly. We only had one issue with our Vanbitz alarm and that was resolved over the phone with a replacement part sent in the post that arrived the next morning for me to fit. A first class product, backed up with service to match. I wish we had told the dealer not to bother fitting ours and had some more money off to put against another Growler.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We have just got our 4th van

Previous 3 have had Strikeback and Growler with non starter.
This van already has alarm and tracker suitable for insurance over Ā£100k but it is not a vanbitz alarm.

As Iā€™ve already paid for the tracker for the year on this one Iā€™ll stick with it for now but as we like off grid nothing beats the Vanbitz for making sure people know you have a decent alarm.

We will be dipping into the funds again next year. Strikeback Growler and Metatrak. Not cheap but they really are the best.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

Karen
I now have the Growler and Metatrak. Previously had Strikeback. Technology moved on a fair bit between the installations so not a direct comparison.

Growler is more expensive but I felt that considering the commitment of time, and the travel involved, I may as well get what I think may be best for a number of years of prospective ownership.

The Metatrak is great. I forgot to switch it to 'transport' mode once after boarding a ferry. Within minutes of us sailing off I got a phone call from the control centre to make sure everything is ok.

The alarm system is obviously good whether you go for Growler or Strikeback. The Growler is noisier and the lights are blue rather than red. I prefer the look of the blue lights, but that's personal preference, and I try to hear the alarm sirens as infrequently as possible!

(Also - the internal sensor does seem quite sensitive. I've left the van a few times with this sensor on, just for it to go off once I was 30 minutes away! Not sure what it was - little midges in the van fluttering over the sensor? Spanish summer heat? It's on my drive now with all sensors on and hasn't gone off in weeks. I'll discuss this with Ash when I next speak to VanBitz - I have to pop in for one or two things in the next few months anyway.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I'm dithering between Strikeback and Growler. Will get the Shadow VTS S5 for certain. I'm now thinking Strikeback/Shadow VTS and non-starter might be a way to go?

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I was torn between the Growler on its own or Strikeback& non start. I went with the Strikeback & non start, which provides 2 levels of defence against theft.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I'm dithering between Strikeback and Growler. Will get the Shadow VTS S5 for certain. I'm now thinking Strikeback/Shadow VTS and non-starter might be a way to go?

Thatā€™s the combo that I went for - Strikeback/Metatrak VTS/Non-Starter - with 3x locker/garage doors alarmed and an additional 2x external sirens at the rear, with an additional LED there as we use the accessory loop for bikes or a trailer.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Thatā€™s the combo that I went for - Strikeback/Metatrak VTS/Non-Starter - with 3x locker/garage doors alarmed and an additional 2x external sirens at the rear, with an additional LED there as we use the accessory loop for bikes or a trailer.
I'm just making the same decision. I was going for a Strikeback + 1x extra locker, 2x rear Sounders and 1x extra LED together with the Non Starter MT. If I include the MH Fun 15% discount, available to the end of the year, it is only another Ā£140 to upgrade to a Growler, with all its extra features. ( 3x external LEDs, internal Sounders and lifetime warranty.)

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I now have the Growler and Metatrak. Previously had Strikeback. Technology moved on a fair bit between the installations so not a direct comparison.

Growler is more expensive but I felt that considering the commitment of time, and the travel involved, I may as well get what I think may be best for a number of years of prospective ownership.

The Metatrak is great. I forgot to switch it to 'transport' mode once after boarding a ferry. Within minutes of us sailing off I got a phone call from the control centre to make sure everything is ok.

The alarm system is obviously good whether you go for Growler or Strikeback. The Growler is noisier and the lights are blue rather than red. I prefer the look of the blue lights, but that's personal preference, and I try to hear the alarm sirens as infrequently as possible!

(Also - the internal sensor does seem quite sensitive. I've left the van a few times with this sensor on, just for it to go off once I was 30 minutes away! Not sure what it was - little midges in the van fluttering over the sensor? Spanish summer heat? It's on my drive now with all sensors on and hasn't gone off in weeks. I'll discuss this with Ash when I next speak to VanBitz - I have to pop in for one or two things in the next few months anyway.)
Ditto. Rang Ash and he said do you have any charging leads dangling down as being metal makes them very sensitive to the internal microwave movement detector? Popped out and yup that is exactly what I found which with the slightest movement of the van in a breeze set it off. No problem since!

Nov 5, 2023
Blaenavon South Wales.
Funster No
MH
Pilote 540g
Exp
Since 2020
Van Bitz will be fitting the Raptor package (Growler, Shadow & Non starter) to my new Pilote van in January. Yes, it's pricey but that is the only negative I could find when comparing it with the other systems on the market. Their communication, method of installation, product and vehicle knowledge were key in my decision making. Lastly, the Funsters discount really helps. (y)

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Well, I am now the proud owner of a strikeback alarm, and very impressed with the service and the product.
I have discovered that the panic alarm is very effective. Top tip, don't carry the fob around in the van, as you might just press button B by mistake šŸ˜‰

In the end I decided to save some pennies, to put towards another solar panel which I hope they can fit in the New Year.

Cornish Farm is still a fantastic site, with brilliant facilities.

Thanks guys

Karen

foxy1884

Free Member
Aug 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own ome yet

Karen
Hi Karen
I would ask the chaps at Vanbitz what they think - Iā€™ve had a Strikeback on one van and then , when I changed it, the Raptor , which I never thought I would be able to afford .
I get what your are saying about the age of your van but the dirtbags out there will still be interested in a van of any age.
Iā€™d give Nick or Ash a ring, seriously, and ask their opinion- they are great people to talk
to and wont try and oversell anything.
Hope you get it sorted
Richard

Apr 16, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718EB
Exp
8 years
Iā€™ve got strikeback, growler, MetaTrak, shadow vts. The whole system is just ace.
Itā€™s never gone off as a false alarm. Never been broken into in 8 years. Never had an issue.
Last year eek I got into the van after switching it on rather than off. Old age! The alarm went off as I started the engine as 30 secs hadnā€™t passed since setting it. The growlers were insanely uncomfortable. Had to get out quick!

Vanbtz are an institution amongst owners now.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Is the Growler a Thatcham approved if so what category? - I always get asked at time if insurance renewal

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Is the Growler a Thatcham approved if so what category? - I always get asked at time if insurance renewal
You can independently check the details on the Thatham website: https://www.thatcham.org/thatcham-security-certifications/

Select "Van Bitz" under 'Manufacturers'. The Growler is based on the Strike back system.

Screenshot_20231220-105214.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back