Remap or not - pre adblue euro 6 Fiat (2 Viewers)

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Mine is a 2017 150bhp 2.3
Quite a few people with these, both on this site and elsewhere, find them either underpowered or too high geared. Mine certainly is compared to my previous 2014 150bhp Ducato which flew along motorways without the need to change down on hills.

Has anybody any experience or knowledge of remapping these particular engines? There are many companies listing them and showing expected performance figures.

robmilton

Free Member
Dec 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Bessacar
Hi, i would give Celtic tuning a ring and have a chat with them, they will come to you to do it, ours is an earlier 2.8 jtd but the remap has made it a different vehicle and so much easier and quieter to drive, and on a trip round South Wales recently it was giving near 30 mpg. If your not happy within 14 days they will put it back to standard foc.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Hi, i would give Celtic tuning a ring and have a chat with them, they will come to you to do it, ours is an earlier 2.8 jtd but the remap has made it a different vehicle and so much easier and quieter to drive, and on a trip round South Wales recently it was giving near 30 mpg. If your not happy within 14 days they will put it back to standard foc.
I used Celtic Tuning and was very happy with the result. But it appears from this thread that I could have saved the money by just getting the ECU software update to v32, which appears to give similar results. 😐

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
My 2016 Euro 5 engine in 150bhp spec has returned a whisker under 32mpg on my Carthago 138 Compactline A Class over the two years since I acquired it and that is running at it's plated weight of 3500Kg. I doubt it's worth fiddling with (If it ain't broke...) to try and eke another mile or two and might mess it up. My 2016 Majestic 125 with the 150bhp Euro 5 Pug engine which ran at just under 3300Kg produced virtually identical figures over a two year period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
I used Celtic Tuning and was very happy with the result. But it appears from this thread that I could have saved the money by just getting the ECU software update to v32, which appears to give similar results. 😐
I suspect it doesn't give the same results, but it seems to be better than it was and I was suggesting it might be 'good enough'.

Upvote 0

Joc

Jul 5, 2018
Bluntisham, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp
Since 2018
In front of the gear lever, it holds gears longer before changing up or down, essential when driving in mountians.
Thanks for that Lenny (y):giggle:. I actually looked in the handbook :whatthe: and found the reference to the "UP" function. Wasn`t very informative as to what it actually does! Previously, when mountain driving, if the gearbox was constantly shuffling up and down, I`d wait `til it shifted down then flip the gear lever over into manual, this forced it to hold that gear. Worked for me but I`ll give this "UP" function a go next time we`re "up" a mountain :cool::giggle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
My 2016 Euro 5 engine in 150bhp spec has returned a whisker under 32mpg on my Carthago 138 Compactline A Class over the two years since I acquired it and that is running at it's plated weight of 3500Kg. I doubt it's worth fiddling with (If it ain't broke...) to try and eke another mile or two and might mess it up. My 2016 Majestic 125 with the 150bhp Euro 5 Pug engine which ran at just under 3300Kg produced virtually identical figures over a two year period.
It seems to be the euro 6 lump that lacks the umph

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
We have had two Fiat 2.3 150 bhp powered vans and found they were plenty powerful enough we even towed a car trailer with the last one it never missed a beat😊
So have I. But it seems to apply to specific year/engines

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have the same spec engine and year with comfortmatic.
Found it difficult on inclines or behind lorries trundling along at 57 mph.
Had it remapped by Quantum for £230 up to 180 hp once the 3 year warranty expired.
So much improvement-can breeze past lorries uphill at 65mph in 6th gear. Slightly better fuel consumption and a pleasure to drive
Nothing to do with Fiat but ....... I had my Merc V6 auto motorhome done by Quantum a year ago. It wasn't lacking in power or torque but I thought it could be better. I'm very happy with it. Idling is smoother and it holds rpm much better on motorway inclines. Using cruise control at 65mph it didn't change down pulling trailer & Smart car from the Lune Gorge to Burton Services heading North on the M6. Before tuning it changed down one gear under the same circumstances. (just an example of somewhere I noticed a marked difference).

Upvote 0

tsrwright

Free Member
May 4, 2011
Sydney
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
6 years
Mine is a 2017 150bhp 2.3
Quite a few people with these, both on this site and elsewhere, find them either underpowered or too high geared. Mine certainly is compared to my previous 2014 150bhp Ducato which flew along motorways without the need to change down on hills.

Has anybody any experience or knowledge of remapping these particular engines? There are many companies listing them and showing expected performance figures.
Delighted with my 2016 model, remappd by Celtic in 2017 and going well at just over 20,000 miles

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail GF70
Exp
since 1993
Had my 2020 non ad blue 2.3L 130bhp re-mapped by ACE done a few months ago as it seemed pretty gutless. A major difference now in the 55-65 speed area without the changing down for slight hills!! I've had many with 2.3L 130/150 and 180bhp and never thought I needed a re-map. This one as mentioned did! I think some engines either have it or they don't, maybe how they were treated from day one but who knows??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Had my 2020 non ad blue 2.3L 130bhp re-mapped by ACE done a few months ago as it seemed pretty gutless. A major difference now in the 55-65 speed area without the changing down for slight hills!! I've had many with 2.3L 130/150 and 180bhp and never thought I needed a re-map. This one as mentioned did! I think some engines either have it or they don't, maybe how they were treated from day one but who knows??
Comes up too often so I think the common denominator is this engine, not how it's been treated. Also 16" wheels play a part.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2021
Guardamar del Segura, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
Had my 2019 Euro 6 Pre Adblue done yesterday, early signs are very positive, the guys at quantum tuning here in Spain dome a great job. Took it for a spin last night on some known roads where it would need a change down to 5th and all good, managing to stay in top gear. I can feel the difference very early on. We are going to take it inland over the weekend as some more challenging hills there so will update my post once we have done that , but as I say early signs are very good.

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail GF70
Exp
since 1993
Had my 2019 Euro 6 Pre Adblue done yesterday, early signs are very positive, the guys at quantum tuning here in Spain dome a great job. Took it for a spin last night on some known roads where it would need a change down to 5th and all good, managing to stay in top gear. I can feel the difference very early on. We are going to take it inland over the weekend as some more challenging hills there so will update my post once we have done that , but as I say early signs are very goo
Good news then - same as mine - it makes quite a difference!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Surely depends on tyre size rather than wheel diameter?
You'd think. But the tyre side wall ends up being nearly the same. From Fiats standard fit tyres, the biggest 16" has a rolling circumference nearly 10% bigger than common 15" fits... No wonder the speedo is so far out on some vans!

Upvote 0
Jun 6, 2021
Dunoon, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1994
You'd think. But the tyre side wall ends up being nearly the same. From Fiats standard fit tyres, the biggest 16" has a rolling circumference nearly 10% bigger than common 15" fits... No wonder the speedo is so far out on some vans!
And everything was designed to run on the standard 15inch wheels. The gear ratios, final drive ratio are changed by 10% on a 16inch wheel. My solution is to drive one gear lower much of the time and not use 5th much below 50 or 6th below 60. Yes the engine will pull those gears below those speeds but if you watch the instant mpg readout it works harder and drinks fuel as soon as there is even the slightest incline. I live in Scotland where there is very little flat road and after testing on the same journey several times have come to the conclusion that trying to use high gear with 16inch wheels uses more fuel.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
And everything was designed to run on the standard 15inch wheels. The gear ratios, final drive ratio are changed by 10% on a 16inch wheel. My solution is to drive one gear lower much of the time and not use 5th much below 50 or 6th below 60. Yes the engine will pull those gears below those speeds but if you watch the instant mpg readout it works harder and drinks fuel as soon as there is even the slightest incline. I live in Scotland where there is very little flat road and after testing on the same journey several times have come to the conclusion that trying to use high gear with 16inch wheels uses more fuel.
I do agree that 16" wheels seem to make the gearing too high. And that it was probably optimised for delivery vans that run the cheapest spec, so 15".

I did a rough calculation. A motorhome has 25% more frontal area than a PVC. So not surprising that high speeds are more work.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If you have a Comfortmatic the UP button helps to achieve similar results. It holds lower gears a bit longer and changes down a bit sooner.

Reactions: Joc
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I do agree that 16" wheels seem to make the gearing too high. And that it was probably optimised for delivery vans that run the cheapest spec, so 15".

I did a rough calculation. A motorhome has 25% more frontal area than a PVC. So not surprising that high speeds are more work.
so you would reccommend staying on 15" wheels

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
so you would reccommend staying on 15" wheels
16" wheels look nicer. And I think they have a higher load rating if you're running a big van? Might be a better tyre choice too?

But they are heavier, accelerate slower, and the larger diameter isn't so good on the 6 speed box.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
16" wheels look nicer. And I think they have a higher load rating if you're running a big van? Might be a better tyre choice too?

But they are heavier, accelerate slower, and the larger diameter isn't so good on the 6 speed box.
the only reason i was concidering changing (steel) was for load rating and better choice of all seasons .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back