Remap or not - pre adblue euro 6 Fiat (2 Viewers)

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Mine is a 2017 150bhp 2.3
Quite a few people with these, both on this site and elsewhere, find them either underpowered or too high geared. Mine certainly is compared to my previous 2014 150bhp Ducato which flew along motorways without the need to change down on hills.

Has anybody any experience or knowledge of remapping these particular engines? There are many companies listing them and showing expected performance figures.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
So 4 pages of non answers apart from acropolis22 and celtic tunning on a 150. Unless I missed one. Please prove me wrong there is another twin egr van with a remapp. Did I see a post here referring to an alternative tuner.

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight I68
My Van is 2018 with a Euro 6 130 Engine (no ad blue) and is a manual. I re-mapped mine last December with Celtic Tuning to 168 BHP. Guy came to house plugged in his laptop and then sent the engine readings to their base to tweak their inhouse map. The van is a 7.4 m Sunlight i68 (A class) and we have done two big trips since the re-map.

Firstly to Scotland, I noticed the difference as the van felt it pulled better, not requiring so many down shifts and by my thinking was not working as hard. The fuel consumption improved as well.

Second Trip was to La Plagne at Easter, again van felt more responsive when needed and cruised along well. On the 21 switchbacks up to La Plagne the engine pulled better than expected and there was no need to down shift to first on these bends.

Last Monday I had an MOT, all good and emissions were less than last year. Maybe the tune, better diesel or engine warmed up, cannot say. No mention of a re-map.

The re-map works for us, we are not driving more quickly. It just seems the van has more in reserve for when needed and cruises along more easily. I did not to any comparisons before or after the map so not much help there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
So 4 pages of non answers apart from acropolis22 and celtic tunning on a 150. Unless I missed one. Please prove me wrong there is another twin egr van with a remapp. Did I see a post here referring to an alternative tuner.
Strictly speaking you are correct and as always there were a few issues raised which should have been on a different thread but overall I have enjoyed the debate and learned a lot along the way. It's unfortunate, but to be expected, that we did not get 5 pages of opinions from people who have remapped this particular engine.

As my holidays are looming I won't be doing anything that could give problems while touring abroad but will reconsider the subject on my return. Thanks to all contributors.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
but will reconsider the subject on my return. Thanks to all contributors.
Hurry up get it sorted then tell me conclusions.
i probably do insificient mileage but pherhaps i did prime SWMBO a bit by complaining at every hill we went up last time we were out.
PS do you know what version of ecu software you are on ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
If you have an android phone and suitable bt dongle alfaobd demo i think will give said info.

edit it will give SAID info so no need to spend £31 on full version
Spent £80 on the Topdon and it doesn't show this. It's now up for sale.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Buying obd2 equipment is a nightmare. £10 to £10000. Capabilites and needs differ so much. I have generally worked on personal recommendations/ borrowed kit it works for what I want at the time. Since retirement borrowed equipment is more difficult to get so bought from advise here and playing with demo versions. Simple devices can be of use , my first was a borrowed orange box vw specific that needed a reset everyday until Google said clean and remake Injector connection, then buy my own box and every now and again clean connection 2 years later replace harness. Then another colleague showed me delights of vagcom and when a canbus car came along serious wonga is parted with for vcds. When I got the Ducato I wasted £30 on an autel device, does the minimum but doesn't talk Fiat to other than engine, and that is necessary for any euro6 owner. So multiecuscan is the mainstream choice. Alfaobd does simular on an android device, I now leave a bt dongle permanently attached (switches off with ignition and a yellow adaptor in glovebox) and can either run alfa and record pids for trip or Torque and use as a speedo +.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Small sample size but figures shown by Jackd and those taken from my own van indicate that top gear is much higher on the 2017 Ducatos than previous models and that that is why many of us are finding it difficult keeping in top gear on motorways.

Anyone from Fiat or with suitable knowledge care to comment?

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
Had the engine software updated to V32 recently and there seems to be a significant improvement in pull on hills in 5th and 6th gear. The dash is telling me to change down long before it feels like it needs to. Maybe try that before remapping?
Ducato Fiat 2017 pre-adblue multijet 150

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Had the engine software updated to V32 recently and there seems to be a significant improvement in pull on hills in 5th and 6th gear. The dash is telling me to change down long before it feels like it needs to. Maybe try that before remapping?
That is exactly what I'm looking for - not checked on Mecuscan yet but I would imagine I'm probably still on V18 because its a couple of years since it was in a Fiat garage . Your impressions tie in with activecampers in #32 0n this thread https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-ecu-firmware-version-on-ducato.264562/page-2

But how did you organise this with a Fiat professional workshop - part of a service or entirely separate request? I rang our local one and was told that I could not just book it in for an upgrade. They would do a diagnostics and would only upgrade if there was a fault shown. This approach seems to tie in with Fiat Service News 10.023.19 attached which refers to engine warning lights and various claimed faults. The starting point seemed to be £175 +VAT and take it from there!!

This seems a nonsense, irrespective of whether there are engine faults or not. I have no issues at present other than poor top gear performance but if V32 is designed to sort out previous software faults as well as bring about general driveability improvements then it should be available to everyone.

Attachments

• Fiat Service Bulletin 10.023.19 re EGR & fault codes.pdf
    534.1 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I'm currently in Holland. Not a slope in sight but I still have to change down on their beautifully smooth 4 lane motorways. Noone can tell me that this is not a fault even if a design fault. My van has done 10k miles now so is run in and healthy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Nice to hear that. There are voices on here that doubt the issue of upgrades. I'll look into it on return.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm currently in Holland. Not a slope in sight but I still have to change down on their beautifully smooth 4 lane motorways. Noone can tell me that this is not a fault even if a design fault. My van has done 10k miles now so is run in and healthy.
Mine is a 2017 150, it only changes down on motorways on steepish inclines spends most of its time in 6th but on long hills it doesn't change down soon enough, it's better with the UP button on.
It was really sluggish when we first had it, got a bit better at 10k but even better after 15k now done 35k.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
That is exactly what I'm looking for - not checked on Mecuscan yet but I would imagine I'm probably still on V18 because its a couple of years since it was in a Fiat garage . Your impressions tie in with activecampers in #32 0n this thread https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-ecu-firmware-version-on-ducato.264562/page-2

But how did you organise this with a Fiat professional workshop - part of a service or entirely separate request? I rang our local one and was told that I could not just book it in for an upgrade. They would do a diagnostics and would only upgrade if there was a fault shown. This approach seems to tie in with Fiat Service News 10.023.19 attached which refers to engine warning lights and various claimed faults. The starting point seemed to be £175 +VAT and take it from there!!

This seems a nonsense, irrespective of whether there are engine faults or not. I have no issues at present other than poor top gear performance but if V32 is designed to sort out previous software faults as well as bring about general driveability improvements then it should be available to everyone.
My warning light came on in Switzerland. I called a local garage at 07.30hrs and was invited to come "now". The mechanic plugged in, identified the fault as being harmless and OK to drive home but applied the software update for good measure. And apparently the hassle of invoicing me wasn't worth the effort! It just seems to run better since then. Just bracing myself to take it to a local garage to have it 'fixed' as don't like the warning light on all the time. (I checked the engine software version when I got home with AlfaOBD Demo and an old Samsung tablet. )
As for your Fiat Pro garage refusing to to an update; seems rather odd as it would be money for rope

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
My warning light came on in Switzerland. I called a local garage at 07.30hrs and was invited to come "now". The mechanic plugged in, identified the fault as being harmless and OK to drive home but applied the software update for good measure. And apparently the hassle of invoicing me wasn't worth the effort! It just seems to run better since then. Just bracing myself to take it to a local garage to have it 'fixed' as don't like the warning light on all the time. (I checked the engine software version when I got home with AlfaOBD Demo and an old Samsung tablet. )
As for your Fiat Pro garage refusing to to an update; seems rather odd as it would be money for rope
Thanks. Seems strange that they could update but not turn off the warning light if it's a "harmless" it issue. Hopefully a scan will give you a better idea of the issue.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Mine is a 2017 150, it only changes down on motorways on steepish inclines spends most of its time in 6th but on long hills it doesn't

change down soon enough, it's better with the UP button on.
It was really sluggish when we first had it, got a bit better at 10k but even better after 15k now done 35k.
Mine is manual but what is the up button?

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Quite a few people with these, both on this site and elsewhere, find them either underpowered or too high geared. Mine certainly is compared to my previous 2014 150bhp Ducato which flew along motorways without the need to change down on hills.

Has anybody any experience or knowledge of remapping these particular engines? There are many companies listing them and showing expected performance figures.
Our 2.3 2017 Ducato based Burstner was a bit sluggish, but to remap it was a problem as the CPU/brain has to be removed to do this.
I went to TDI Tuning {{{Located in: Broken Link Removed'
Unit 223, waterhouse business centre, 2 Cromar Way, Chelmsford CM1 2QE Broken Link Removed: Broken Link Removed}}
I bought a tuning box that just plugs in to the boost control and fuel pump, it is not a remap but it make a lot of difference, since fitting we are now getting 28.5 mpg and that included crossing the Pyrenees 3 times, it has made a world of difference to the driveability, without changing any of the original settings.
If you want to reset to original spec you can just unplug the box.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner 747-2

We have done lots we good results fuel consumption goes up 3-6 mpg depending on driving style

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve just changed from a 2.3 150 Ducato to a Ford 170 Auto. Too early to comment on Ford but I was very happy with the Ducato engine. Over 6 years ownership average was 27.2 mpg with no problems either on Motorways or hilly rural roads. I did “consider” remapping but couldn’t really justify it. It’s a Motorhome, not a car and not designed to replicate car-type performance.
I am enjoying the Auto on the Ford but I am amazed at Motorhome owners who tank past at 70+ mph - do they fully realise what it takes to stop a 3.5 tonne vehicle in an emergency? Yes, by all means remap if you want more torque/power but NOT if it’s just to go faster!
End of rant!

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since1999

We had ours remapped and torque so much better, don’t need to change gear so much now as it flys up the hills
Also fuel consumption went from an average 27 to 31mpg

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
My only concern would be (if the van were new) that fitting an aftermarket performance aid (ecu remap) would invalidate the warranty. As for achieving better mpg my advice would be to use cruise control wherever possible and keep speed to say 55 mph. Additionally set up an mpg log and measure your mpg. It’s amazing once you get your head tuned into your own driving style vs mpg how your figures can improve. I’m driving a Peugeot (Euro 6 Boxer) which is a different engine I know and have had 32 mpg. I’ve also noticed an improvement when using the Supreme grade diesel.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2018
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 301
Exp
since 2017

I have the same spec engine and year with comfortmatic.
Found it difficult on inclines or behind lorries trundling along at 57 mph.
Had it remapped by Quantum for £230 up to 180 hp once the 3 year warranty expired.
So much improvement-can breeze past lorries uphill at 65mph in 6th gear. Slightly better fuel consumption and a pleasure to drive

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 02
Exp
Total newbie
Why does my tracker show my vans mileage at 16944 yet this van was delivered ( Brand new ) with 504 miles on the clock and now has covered15420 according to the speedo. When the van was delivered to us it was found to have badly repaired accident damage which no one knew anything about. It was bought (new) by me Sept 2019

Please this is about the mileage query only.
Perhaps this was on a transporter for delivery hence the mileage difference,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I’ve just changed from a 2.3 150 Ducato to a Ford 170 Auto. Too early to comment on Ford but I was very happy with the Ducato engine. Over 6 years ownership average was 27.2 mpg with no problems either on Motorways or hilly rural roads. I did “consider” remapping but couldn’t really justify it. It’s a Motorhome, not a car and not designed to replicate car-type performance.
I am enjoying the Auto on the Ford but I am amazed at Motorhome owners who tank past at 70+ mph - do they fully realise what it takes to stop a 3.5 tonne vehicle in an emergency? Yes, by all means remap if you want more torque/power but NOT if it’s just to go faster!
End of rant!
I think you're somewhat missing the point of this thread which is about a percieved defficiency in a certain engine which causes poorer than expected performance, not a desire to turn a motorhome into a hot rod. But thanks for commenting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I have the same spec engine and year with comfortmatic.
Found it difficult on inclines or behind lorries trundling along at 57 mph.
Had it remapped by Quantum for £230 up to 180 hp once the 3 year warranty expired.
So much improvement-can breeze past lorries uphill at 65mph in 6th gear. Slightly better fuel consumption and a pleasure to drive
I hear this so often on here yet there are voices that suggest that you're a bad person if you do this, or you're telling porkies if you make these claims, or if it were that simple the manufacturers would have already done it. So confusing!

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
I hear this so often on here yet there are voices that suggest that you're a bad person if you do this, or you're telling porkies if you make these claims, or if it were that simple the manufacturers would have already done it. So confusing!
We had our 130hp Comfortmatic remapped by Celtic recently to 165hp. Driveability improved, less down changing, mid more mid range pull.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2021
Framlingham, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 774
Exp
Since 2017

TDI Tuning based in Chelmsford do “plug & play” tuning device. Had one fitted to my 2017 130 Fiat which performed like a milk float and output now is brilliant. I get 25mpg and I think the increase was around 30bhp? Cost around £300 then. They ship these out on line, if you are comfortable with engines easy to fit or if you are anywhere in Essex go and get it fitted while you wait free. By now they might have other locations. Nice firm to deal with. No issues with MOT’s emissions.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back