Motorhome Payload Stop Checks (3 Viewers)

Apr 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Rapido
Exp
since 2018
Have any of you funsters ever been stopped in the UK and had your weight checked. Just been on weighbridge and wondered if there is any leeway with regard to carrying extra food and fuel on a 3500 van weight

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Can’t find a public weighbridge locally but noticed one last week on the way to Bridlington, the East of York so called in on Monday. Reassuring that gross weight was 3160 in holiday trim. Can understand if we had electric bikes, awning etc we could soon be near the limit. Biggest surprise was that both front and rear axles weighed the same but a full tank of diesel rather than half a tank would have changed that. The chap on the weighbridge couldn’t believe both were the same as never seen it before so did extra checks to check it was correct.
If you live in or near Leyland have you checked on Berry's on Golden Hill?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Not all weigh bridges advertise or are shown on local lists but many are happy to take few quid and give you an unofficial ticket.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
If you live in or near Leyland have you checked on Berry's on Golden Hill?
To be honest I haven’t asked them as it looks out of use and have never seen it in use on any of my many visits. Had thought of asking when collecting items only available in the office there. Have you used it ?

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
To be honest I haven’t asked them as it looks out of use and have never seen it in use on any of my many visits. Had thought of asking when collecting items only available in the office there. Have you used it ?
I have but as you say not recently it was back in 2015.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
I don't know exactly what the allowable margins are in that country. Likely, as with all else in life, it depends. Depends on what side of bed Monsieur Gendarme got out of, how your van presents, is it riding low, and does the driver come across as a cock to him…

As mentioned, what matters far more than some errant kgs and the possibility of a fine or insurance company wriggling out of a claim is the overall safety of the vehicle especially in respect of other road users. Hence the awareness thing, and why extra careful and ever more careful and safer driving habits is critical if you suspect you are getting close to or may even sometimes be a little over the weight limits. I could take a fine for being a few kgs over, but I couldn’t live with myself if an accident happened injuring someone and I hadn’t done all I could to minimise risk. It isnt black and white, a few kg over can be more than compensated for by risk averse slow driving, large stopping distances and new tyres and brakes. It’s all about how you understand risk and your approach to risk and how to manage it.

Before all the holier than all brigade chime in with screams to always obey the law as proscribed, maybe citing braking distance and kids running unexpectedly into the road - if such circumstances haunt us so, then we should not be driving any sort of hideously slow to stop camper van - even completely unloaded. They all handle terribly and even being driven by a master they present a much elevated risk to others in comparison to pretty much any modern car.

As I tried to point out in the earlier post - if you aren’t sure and are very risk averse, the only solution is to make sure you are safely within the law at all times.

Nobody wants to break the law, but the 3500kg limit and ever more tiny payloads and evaporating granddad rights has for a while made absolute compliance ever more tricky. I dont condone or recommend anyone knowingly breaks the law, I just offer common sense advice on how to mitigate some of the risks associated with ‘flying close to the wind’.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t often contribute but I’m with dawsey. As a retiree but survivor over 40 years of 50000 mile a year driving in Uk and Europe in cars, vans, yes tugging! & motorhomes, the risks associated overloading are awful. I’ve seen many nasty piles of matchwood and peoples prized belongings and hard-earned holidays strewn over roads. Not to mention injuries. On one occasion in tugging days I was late home from work and at risk of missing the planned Dover crossing. So familiar with loading the van I too didn’t check nose weights and piled everything in to where I expected they usually go and made quick getaway from Worcestershire. I reached the M42 and on the first big downhill I picked up a very very nasty snake which fortunately I managed to drop off but on stopping at Hopwood I dived into the van and realised the loading was completely wrong for the axle position and centre of gravity was up near the roof! And the van was not actually overloaded ( nearly though) but distribution in motorhomes is just as important. The consequences could have been grave - and the end of the holiday too.
The Hobby MH has a good payload potential but you tend to fill what is available.
Driving Aragon on the backroads is challenging in theMH and you know what level of control you have when descending long steep narrow hills and have to pull up suddenly for the local farmer who pops out of his field. However the years have provided valuable lessons. To be fair to Laurence whilst some comments may not be legally enforceable, his message is one of general common sense and I believe well meant. You might not get such a cautionary response from the Gendarmerie or Guardia Civil who are a little more black and white!
This is one area of legislation which is based on good sense internationally and for the benefit of all of us
Rant over - enjoy the freedom and your fellow funsters!

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
This thread has moved on a bit since I last contributed! 😀

But as promised a week or so ago, I’ve knocked together a (hopefully) useful “Bluffer’s Guide to Weighbridges and Vehicle weighing” to dispel some of the myths that seem to perpetuate on the forum.

First, a bit of back ground – I’ve been involved in “Legal Metrology” for most of my working life. Until retirement I was a qualified Inspector of Weights and Measures for 30 years, testing everything from medical weighing scales in hospitals, heating oil tanker meters, supermarket scales, retail forecourt fuel dispensers (including LPG autogas pumps) to vehicle weighbridges. In the earlier part of my career I weighed HGVs at the roadside who had been pulled over for weight checks, and then issued Prohibition Notices and summonses to court for infringements (this being pre-fixed penalty notices). It’s a long time now since I was involved in actual vehicle overloading checks, but the principles and actual practice haven’t really changed. More recently I’ve tested the calibration of weighing equipment used by VOSA / DVSA, in particular Dynamic Axle Weighers, and have provided witness statements to VOSA/DVSA for court use.

So, what is the likelihood of getting stopped and weighed in a camper / motorhome?

Years ago only commercial vehicles were stopped and weighed. In my enforcement days I certainly never weighed a motorhome. That is still mainly the case today. However, there are occasionally “themed” enforcement days aimed at particular vehicles, and these may be multi-agency (nickname, “Operation Mermaid”) Examples may include a day dedicated to stopping and weighing agricultural vehicles, animal transporters, horse boxes etc. HMRC may also attend and dip tanks for red diesel, and Local Authority Animal Health Inspectors may be present to check on welfare of livestock in transit.

Very occasionally these themed enforcement days will target leisure vehicles – e.g. caravans and motorhomes. Outside of these themed operations you chance of being stopped and weighed are minimal. However, if you are obviously taking the mickey (motorbike strapped on the back of the motorhome with the rear bumper scraping the tarmac) then you are increasing the risks of being stopped and weighed at anytime.

What happens if you get stopped?

You will be directed to a weigh station. This may be a standard static weighbridge (which will weigh the vehicle stationary and obtain only the total gross weight), a dynamic axle weigher (a smaller weigh plate which the vehicle drives over at a steady 2 or 3mph and which weighs each axle individually and then sums the total as the vehicle gross weight). The weighbridge may be owned and operated exclusively by VOSA / DVSA, or in some areas they may direct you to a public weighbridge.

The vehicle is weighed exactly “as is”, with driver (and any passengers) remaining in the vehicle, together with its load. The weight readings are then compared against the stated vehicle weights.

There has always been a 5% allowance. This was originally an unwritten understanding, but is now official published policy. Beyond this allowance there is a sliding scale of penalty notices depending on the level of overloading, already linked to in earlier posts in this thread. It’s also worth noting that whilst an overloaded gross vehicle is a contravention, each individual overloaded axle is also a separate contravention meaning that a single weighing can potentially lead to several offences. I believe that summons to court is now only reserved for extreme overloads or persistent offenders. Both the driver and the vehicle operator (if a commercial company) are potentially liable. If the vehicle is overloaded the driver will be issued with a Prohibition Notice. The vehicle will then not be allowed to proceed without reducing the load to within the stated limits and being reweighed.

Weighing your motorhome on a Public Weighbridge, etc.

It’s a really good idea to get your campervan / motorhome weighed in holiday trim. As is well known the manufacturers published MIROs and theoretical payloads are often wildly optimistic.

All commercial trade weighbridges, whether “Public” or “Private” have to comply with the same legally prescribed requirements. Weighbridges are in effect just “big weighing scales” and it is therefore the same set of regulations that cover all trade weighing equipment including butchers scales, supermarket checkout scales, industrial platform weighing machines and vehicle weighbridges. Essentially, the bigger the device, the larger the permitted increments and the errors allowed.

The standard vehicle weighbridge in the UK will most likely be of 50 tonnes capacity with an increment size of 20kg. Depending on the length of the weighing surface it will be supported on either 4, 6 or 8 load cells. It will only be certificated for use for a minimum weight of 400kg upwards – therefore it’s not suitable for weighing humans! The maximum errors allowed for this standard “50 tonne x 20kg divisions” weighbridge in normal use are -

Between zero and 10 tonnes = +/-20kg

Between 10 tonnes and 40 tonnes = +/-40kg

Between 40 tonnes and 50 tonnes = +/-60kg

Therefore, as you can see the legally permitted calibration error for the weight equating to all typical motorhomes from 3500kg PVCs right through to 7,500kg RV’s is only +/-20kg and can therefore be essentially disregarded.

Additionally, Public Weighbridges are specifically regulated. They will generally still be privately owned, but in order to operate as a Public Weighbridge will have to have got all their weighbridge operators certificated. They must also publish their opening hours and list of fees. Anyone can then turn up, and on payment of the fee demand to be weighed. In contrast non-Public weighbridges are not legally allowed to charge a fee for weighing a vehicle. (In practice, if you ask nicely at a non-Public weighbridge and they are not busy they may let you weigh your motorhome, and no one is going to get too excited if you offer them a tin of biscuits or box of Quality Street for their trouble. Don’t expect a weigh ticket though).

What’s the best method of weighing your motorhome?

To determine only the total gross vehicle weight just about any weighbridge will do. Position it in the centre rather than one end so that your weight is spread across all the loadcells.

If you also want to ascertain axle weights then this is more problematic and inaccurate. To have any chance of obtaining accurate axle weight readings the weighbridge needs to be level and flush to the surrounding approaches. Also, to minimise any errors from individual load cells, and any uneven approaches to the weighbridge, its best to position the axle being weighed as far onto the weighbridge as possible. Ask the weighbridge operator to note the front axle weight as you drive on and just before the rear axle contacts the plate. Remain stationary long enough for the reading to settle. Drive fully on so that both axles are on the plate, again stop so that the gross weight can now be noted. Then as you drive off, ask the weighbridge operator to note just the rear axle weight as soon as your front axle has driven off the plate, again stopping long enough for the reading to settle. (If you are lucky the weighbridge may also have an external remote indicator so that you can note the weights yourself - as in the attached photo below). Add up the weight reading of both individual axles. If the result matches (or nearly matches) the total gross vehicle weight you can be reasonably confident that these axle readings are fairly accurate. If they are miles out, then take them with a pinch of salt.

If the weighbridge is not flush to the approaches, but approached on ramps (again as in the photos below), then your chances of obtaining accurate axle weights are pretty negligible. Best to find another weighbridge with a flush plate and flat approaches.

Hope the above is useful. Any questions – I’ll try to answer.

IMG_20200206_083021~2.jpg

IMG_20200206_083248~2.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking

But as promised a week or so ago, I’ve knocked together a (hopefully) useful “Bluffer’s Guide to Weighbridges and Vehicle weighing” to dispel some of the myths that seem to perpetuate on the forum.

First, a bit of back ground – I’ve been involved in “Legal Metrology” for most of my working life. Until retirement I was a qualified Inspector of Weights and Measures for 30 years, testing everything from medical weighing scales in hospitals, heating oil tanker meters, supermarket scales, retail forecourt fuel dispensers (including LPG autogas pumps) to vehicle weighbridges. In the earlier part of my career I weighed HGVs at the roadside who had been pulled over for weight checks, and then issued Prohibition Notices and summonses to court for infringements (this being pre-fixed penalty notices). It’s a long time now since I was involved in actual vehicle overloading checks, but the principles and actual practice haven’t really changed. More recently I’ve tested the calibration of weighing equipment used by VOSA / DVSA, in particular Dynamic Axle Weighers, and have provided witness statements to VOSA/DVSA for court use.

So, what is the likelihood of getting stopped and weighed in a camper / motorhome?

Years ago only commercial vehicles were stopped and weighed. In my enforcement days I certainly never weighed a motorhome. That is still mainly the case today. However, there are occasionally “themed” enforcement days aimed at particular vehicles, and these may be multi-agency (nickname, “Operation Mermaid”) Examples may include a day dedicated to stopping and weighing agricultural vehicles, animal transporters, horse boxes etc. HMRC may also attend and dip tanks for red diesel, and Local Authority Animal Health Inspectors may be present to check on welfare of livestock in transit.

Very occasionally these themed enforcement days will target leisure vehicles – e.g. caravans and motorhomes. Outside of these themed operations you chance of being stopped and weighed are minimal. However, if you are obviously taking the mickey (motorbike strapped on the back of the motorhome with the rear bumper scraping the tarmac) then you are increasing the risks of being stopped and weighed at anytime.

You will be directed to a weigh station. This may be a standard static weighbridge (which will weigh the vehicle stationary and obtain only the total gross weight), a dynamic axle weigher (a smaller weigh plate which the vehicle drives over at a steady 2 or 3mph and which weighs each axle individually and then sums the total as the vehicle gross weight). The weighbridge may be owned and operated exclusively by VOSA / DVSA, or in some areas they may direct you to a public weighbridge.

The vehicle is weighed exactly “as is”, with driver (and any passengers) remaining in the vehicle, together with its load. The weight readings are then compared against the stated vehicle weights.

There has always been a 5% allowance. This was originally an unwritten understanding, but is now official published policy. Beyond this allowance there is a sliding scale of penalty notices depending on the level of overloading, already linked to in earlier posts in this thread. It’s also worth noting that whilst an overloaded gross vehicle is a contravention, each individual overloaded axle is also a separate contravention meaning that a single weighing can potentially lead to several offences. I believe that summons to court is now only reserved for extreme overloads or persistent offenders. Both the driver and the vehicle operator (if a commercial company) are potentially liable. If the vehicle is overloaded the driver will be issued with a Prohibition Notice. The vehicle will then not be allowed to proceed without reducing the load to within the stated limits and being reweighed.

It’s a really good idea to get your campervan / motorhome weighed in holiday trim. As is well known the manufacturers published MIROs and theoretical payloads are often wildly optimistic.

All commercial trade weighbridges, whether “Public” or “Private” have to comply with the same legally prescribed requirements. Weighbridges are in effect just “big weighing scales” and it is therefore the same set of regulations that cover all trade weighing equipment including butchers scales, supermarket checkout scales, industrial platform weighing machines and vehicle weighbridges. Essentially, the bigger the device, the larger the permitted increments and the errors allowed.

The standard vehicle weighbridge in the UK will most likely be of 50 tonnes capacity with an increment size of 20kg. Depending on the length of the weighing surface it will be supported on either 4, 6 or 8 load cells. It will only be certificated for use for a minimum weight of 400kg upwards – therefore it’s not suitable for weighing humans! The maximum errors allowed for this standard “50 tonne x 20kg divisions” weighbridge in normal use are -

Therefore, as you can see the legally permitted calibration error for the weight equating to all typical motorhomes from 3500kg PVCs right through to 7,500kg RV’s is only +/-20kg and can therefore be essentially disregarded.

Additionally, Public Weighbridges are specifically regulated. They will generally still be privately owned, but in order to operate as a Public Weighbridge will have to have got all their weighbridge operators certificated. They must also publish their opening hours and list of fees. Anyone can then turn up, and on payment of the fee demand to be weighed. In contrast non-Public weighbridges are not legally allowed to charge a fee for weighing a vehicle. (In practice, if you ask nicely at a non-Public weighbridge and they are not busy they may let you weigh your motorhome, and no one is going to get too excited if you offer them a tin of biscuits or box of Quality Street for their trouble. Don’t expect a weigh ticket though).

To determine only the total gross vehicle weight just about any weighbridge will do. Position it in the centre rather than one end so that your weight is spread across all the loadcells.

If you also want to ascertain axle weights then this is more problematic and inaccurate. To have any chance of obtaining accurate axle weight readings the weighbridge needs to be level and flush to the surrounding approaches. Also, to minimise any errors from individual load cells, and any uneven approaches to the weighbridge, its best to position the axle being weighed as far onto the weighbridge as possible. Ask the weighbridge operator to note the front axle weight as you drive on and just before the rear axle contacts the plate. Remain stationary long enough for the reading to settle. Drive fully on so that both axles are on the plate, again stop so that the gross weight can now be noted. Then as you drive off, ask the weighbridge operator to note just the rear axle weight as soon as your front axle has driven off the plate, again stopping long enough for the reading to settle. (If you are lucky the weighbridge may also have an external remote indicator so that you can note the weights yourself - as in the attached photo below). Add up the weight reading of both individual axles. If the result matches (or nearly matches) the total gross vehicle weight you can be reasonably confident that these axle readings are fairly accurate. If they are miles out, then take them with a pinch of salt.

If the weighbridge is not flush to the approaches, but approached on ramps (again as in the photos below), then your chances of obtaining accurate axle weights are pretty negligible. Best to find another weighbridge with a flush plate and flat approaches.

View attachment 886869

View attachment 886870
Hi Varti.
Got my 3500Kg campervan weighed at Gateshead public weighbridge a year ago. Cost, £5.
In full holiday trim, the 2 of us, 3/4 tank fuel, 3/4 fresh water tank, 3/4 full grey water tank; 3/4 full cassette.
The weighbridge consists of 2 plates.
If memory serves right, had to position on the first plate fully, then moved forward when told to until front wheels a little on the second plate.
Printout gives total of 3120Kg, 1620 front and 1500 rear.
Happy that I'm well under 3500Kg but just wondering,
will that weighbridge be giving accurate enough individual axle readings?I
Happy Jack.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking

View attachment 886869

View attachment 886870
Sorry Barti, didn't notice my spell corrector has decided to spell your name Varti.
Happy Jack.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Hi Varti.
Got my 3500Kg campervan weighed at Gateshead public weighbridge a year ago. Cost, £5.
In full holiday trim, the 2 of us, 3/4 tank fuel, 3/4 fresh water tank, 3/4 full grey water tank; 3/4 full cassette.
The weighbridge consists of 2 plates.
If memory serves right, had to position on the first plate fully, then moved forward when told to until front wheels a little on the second plate.
Printout gives total of 3120Kg, 1620 front and 1500 rear.
Happy that I'm well under 3500Kg but just wondering,
will that weighbridge be giving accurate enough individual axle readings?I
Happy Jack.
It's a great facility in Gateshead. The calibration centre is managed by Andy Haywood , ex- Cardiff Trading Standards, and previously a Metrology lecturer at the University of Wales. He knows his stuff when it comes to W&M. Looks like they managed to weigh your axles well too. Readings appear to be bang on. 👍

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
It's a great facility in Gateshead. The calibration centre is managed by Andy Haywood , ex- Cardiff Trading Standards, and previously a Metrology lecturer at the University of Wales. He knows his stuff when it comes to W&M. Looks like they managed to weigh your axles well too. Readings appear to be bang on. 👍
Thanks Barti, the guy doing did seem to know his stuff, very friendly as well. They only took cash at the time.
It's actually titled "Gateshead Metrology Centre"
Happy Jack.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
As yet another ex traffic cop authorised to weigh I can confirm that the only evidence of being overweight is what the weighbridge reads. There can be no presumption of what might be put into the vehicle further down the road later today, tomorrow or next week. It just would not stack up in court.
I am new to motorhomes but made a point of weighing everything before my initial load up. I then went to local public weighbridge to confirm weight. I am just re loading and again i will visit the weighbridge.
it really isn't difficult to get this right (or is it!). A simple £10 luggage scale will allow you to weigh pretty much anything you put in or take out.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
As yet another ex traffic cop authorised to weigh I can confirm that the only evidence of being overweight is what the weighbridge reads. There can be no presumption of what might be put into the vehicle further down the road later today, tomorrow or next week. It just would not stack up in court.
I am new to motorhomes but made a point of weighing everything before my initial load up. I then went to local public weighbridge to confirm weight. I am just re loading and again i will visit the weighbridge.
it really isn't difficult to get this right (or is it!). A simple £10 luggage scale will allow you to weigh pretty much anything you put in or take out.
You run a real risk of overloading the rear axle on many mohos if you just weigh it with scales and chuck it in the garage. If you need to run close to the limit you also need to work out how far from the axle you can put whatever it is you've weighed

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
i think you misunderstood what i meant. The scales just a guide. You still need to pack thoughtfully and visit the weighbridge for gross and axle weights

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

View attachment 886869

View attachment 886870

Thank you for taking the time to provide quality information with unambiguous clarity for all who have and or may read this thread. 👌👍🏻

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back