LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I think it depends how much you use them, if you are in a trade using them all day every day then I think diamond tipped ones are best but I bought some DeWalt ones from Toolstation and for my occasional use and for what I have done they have ben fine, small holes and larger ones up to 10mm.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It’s not always the bits that are the problem, the inner skin of my bungalow is solid and very hard brick, my normal Ryobi decent size hammer drill is no good but if I bring out the really heavy duty one which I bought from B & Q a few years ago it only takes a few seconds to drill a hole.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The problem is that I hit something hard and northing will shift it, then the hole gets bigger..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It’s not always the bits that are the problem, the inner skin of my bungalow is solid and very hard brick, my normal Ryobi decent size hammer drill is no good but if I bring out the really heavy duty one which I bought from B & Q a few years ago it only takes a few seconds to drill a hole.
Second that.. its the drill that's the important bit..
If I've got a lot of brickwork to drill it's the old de Walt sds rotary hammer gets an airing.. (y)
Andy

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
In terms of occasional use I've found B&Q or similar masonry drills more than adequate for most domestic jobs if you have a half decent percussion drill. The only time I ever get stopped is if I hit a wall tie or similar. Obviously for concrete or ceramic tiles you need the relevant drills.

Deleted User
Slightly off topic and I don't know the circumstances but chemical fixings with a threaded bar then fix with a washer and nut can be effective sometimes.

Deleted User
Agreed but you still need a hole
Agreed, agreed. I have used chem fixing and didn't need such a deep hole as anticipated and it fixes without exerting outward pressure. Not suitable in all situations though.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm tempted to 'stick' the piece of wood onto the wall and then add the curtain rail...

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
These.

In soft brick, you don't even need to use hammer. They drill ceramic tiles really easily too. They don't wander and again, no hammer required.

I've been using them daily for years for work.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm tempted to 'stick' the piece of wood onto the wall and then add the curtain rail...
Got you now Dave....your drilling either a steel lintel (RSJ) or a re-enforced concrete lintel....most likely re-enforced concrete
RSJs are generally faced with plasterboard on wooden noggins hammered into the void of the H section. You soon know if it's an RSJ
Re-enforced concrete just need a slow, even pressure on the drill and not too fast.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The problem is that I hit something hard and northing will shift it, then the hole gets bigger..
I have a similar issue. I suspect that the only way is a good heavy duty hammer drill

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Always had problems using them, I suspect it's the quality of the bit, any suggestions of a make?

It must be SDS in a decent mains drill. Life's too short to use old school masonry bits in a standard drill, whoever made them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ceramic tiles you need the relevant drills.
Never used anything but masonry bits with the hammer turned off.
Very light pressure and slow speed until through the glaze then you can speed up. Once through the tile put hammer on and drill as normal
Haven't cracked a tile yet

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
its the macine that makes the diffence sds punches through virtually any thing ive got a pre litium bosch sitting here thats good enough for occasional work only one battery but it held a charge when i last used it yours if you want to pay poatage

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Never used anything but masonry bits with the hammer turned off.
Very light pressure and slow speed until through the glaze then you can speed up. Once through the tile put hammer on and drill as normal
Haven't cracked a tile yet
and a bit of tape over the hole position to help stop the drill skittering.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
SDS is for 'regular hole-drillers'.
You could compromise with a hammer drill.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
A lot depends on the quality of your Hammer drill!

However when that happens (as soon as lack of progress evident) select a much smaller drill (1/8) and see how that copes . once you have a pilot hole generally sorts the issue.

Deleted User
The inner course of most houses are made from common bricks, seconds, which are quite often from the outside of the kiln and over cooked, and contain bits that are like glass virtually impenetrable.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The inner course of most houses are made from common bricks, seconds, which are quite often from the outside of the kiln and over cooked, and contain bits that are like glass virtually impenetrable.

I would think most houses with cavity walls actually have concrete block inner courses (either dense or aerated), both of which are usually much easier to drill than any brick. However, an SDS drill will make light work of any masonry at all (assuming you're not trying to drill steel reinforcement). Standard non-SDS masonry bits struggle with butter when it drops below 21C.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Pointing out the obvious but it is sometimes overlooked; many drills start working well enough but are ruined by overheating.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back