Lenny's heading South yet again (1 Viewer)

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you every tried the aire at Nonencourt. Next to the mairie
It’s a free one with 6amp electric if you need it.
Stopped there quite a few times electric & water turned of in the winter. Spaces a bit tight but nice location & the town is lovely, quite a few pics on my threads.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the inspiration Lenny HB that was wonderful. We haven't yet been to the continent in our van. Having only toured in the UK as you know it is necessary to plan ahead to a fairly high degree. You said at the start when you were setting off that you had no plans for where you were going to. How does that work, what's your mindset?
When you're on the boat or Tunnel and get off at the other side, you start the engine, then what?

I assume that the weather forecast plays its part. Help me get my head around how it works.
Are there key places you wouldn't like to miss? Are there areas you prefer to avoid? What's the longest you will stay in one place. Do you ever book a site in advance for any reason? What's the minimum distance you'll travel in a day? At what point during the day do you decide how far you're going?
Sorry for so many questions. Having spent my life with most things planned, I can't imagine setting off on a 6 week trip without a solid plan.
I'd love to know your secret as I'm getting no younger ;)
At the risk of hi-jacking Lenny's thread the reason why you don't need to plan, unlike the UK, is because as a rule you will always find somewhere to stay. The only exceptions are the really popular spots, for example the best aires and campsites in southern Spain in winter where making a reservation will help.

Otherwise, just drive anywhere! Some don't look for a place to spend the night until towards the end of the day. I prefer to have located a destination in advance so we know where we are heading. On this trip I haven't often driven more than 90 minutes a day. The shortest trips we've done were probably down the Mosel where we often didn't drive more than 10 or 15 kms a day. The usual apps are all you need to find somewhere but ASCI membership can be useful for campsites but there are lots of sites which are not ACSI and are fine.

I do like to have a vague plan, one year we drove up the Loire from the sea to it source, another year drove down the Lot. On this trip we are going clockwise around Spain and there was no firmer plan than that.

From mid-Wales a ferry from Portsmouth would probably be the most convenient. I would advise just taking the plunge and if you just explored Normandy and perhaps bits of Brittany you won't be disappointed. :)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
From mid-Wales a ferry from Portsmouth would probably be the most convenient. I would advise just taking the plunge and if you just explored Normandy and perhaps bits of Brittany you won't be disappointed.
We won't be taking the plunge until next Spring when my wife retires from her school job as we're tied to school holidays. You're suggestion of Normandy and Brittany are what I've had in mind for some time, but having a wee dog which hates being left alone limits our crossing options :rollingeyes:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We are at Saint Martin d'Ardeche on our way north. We are staying as long as we can as weather north of here not great. 26c today. Have to be back in UK on the 21st so hope its warmed up by then
20230506_081411.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Set off on another trip today don't where we are going no plans so could be France, Spain or Portugal.

Left home at 9:15 this morning and by 10:40 we were bobing about in a boat on the English channel.
Not only did the ferry leave 20 min early it arrived at Dieppe 35 min early.

As we docked at Dieppe several fishing boats came into the harbour quite close to the ferry and started letting of smoke flares. Lost track of what the French are protesting about they do it so many times.

View attachment 732424
Just welcoming you , perhaps?

Jun 7, 2022
Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Loved following your travels and the pics have made me very impatient to get going. For various reasons we haven't been able to get across the channel for 3 or 4 years although we managed a short break in Normandy last September. Now waiting for the beginning of June and a month of wandering round France or maybe Germany, can't wait! Any idea why the morning crossing from Newhaven has changed to 11.00? Decided that was a bit late so back to Dover. Just hope the queues aren't too bad.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Plitvice is OK if you enjoy being mobbed by coach loads Chinese pushing shoving doing anything to get their selfie - no thanks.
Yes, I nearly got involved in a number of international incidents first time we went. Second time we wised up, bought tickets in advance and were there at 06:30. They sometimes open before the official opening time of 07:00 so we were in by 06:40 and it was spectacular, very quiet, peaceful and calm. Some great pics, Lenny, thanks.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Lenny HB somewhere in this thread you mentioned a lakeside spot at Nuevalos and the gardens at Monasterio de Peidra. Been to both today although the overnight there were 4 MHs there. Gardens with cascades amazing, but you didn’t tell us how long it would take to walk around and that we would need waterproofs for the section in the cave behind the big waterfall! I got soaked with all the water coming down through the cave roof.
Thanks anyway 🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back