Is LPG being phased out? (2 Viewers)

LeahRose

Free Member
Apr 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hi all

Thanks for the heads up about the very disappointing news that Calor is discontinuing the 3.9kg & 4.5kg bottles, having finally managed to get hold of 2 for my Ducato Expedition 66.

So now I need to find an alternative asap. The gas locker is too small for a 6kg bottle and as the van is less than a year old I really don’t want to start modifying anything inside.

Having done some more searching on my, go to ‘font of all motorhoming knowledge’ aka Motorhome Funsters forum (you have no idea how much I have learnt from you guys 🙏😁) I found a thread about underslung LPG tanks and although expensive it looks like it might be the best option for my van. I’ve since emailed and chatted to the guys at Autogas they sound great, thanks again for the recommendation.

I’ve also however read that LPG is due to be phased out at filling stations in 2024. I was wondering if any of you guys know if that means it will be phased out completely or will we still be able to fill tanks? Obviously I don’t want to spend all that money if I’m unable to use it in 2 years.

I’d be really grateful for any advice. Thanks 🙂

Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
you could suggest that. I could suggest that as you did nothing outside the law, they would be unable to so. who cares. I don't.
It is not a matter or what is a good idea or bad idea, it is a matter of what is legal and what is not. Lots of things that are perfectly legal to do are very bad ideas (for example, allowing incompetent people to buy explosives and set them off is a very stupid thing to allow, as it demonstrated every November vividly, but there are no laws against it)
Yep, but for claims payout, insurance companies are a law unto themselves. My NFU house policy requires any gas or oil work to be undertaken by a gas safe registered engineer, all electrics by a NECIEC registered electrician and wood burning stove work to HETAS regulations by a registered installer... I dont disagree you can do it yourself but just pointing out possible insurance implications if God forbid a claim is needed...

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Yep, but for claims payout, insurance companies are a law unto themselves. My NFU house policy requires any gas or oil work to be undertaken by a gas safe registered engineer, all electrics by a NECIEC registered electrician and wood burning stove work to HETAS regulations by a registered installer... I dont disagree you can do it yourself but just pointing out possible insurance implications if God forbid a claim is needed...
Simple answer, do it right, or get someone who can.

you may be aware that the whole construction industry is suffering with lack of competent resource, so don’t be too trustworthy of so called “professionals”.

also specifying one electrical competency body is probably wrong, ECA, NAPIT etc would certainly not be amused.

Upvote 0

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
all academic to me as I have no insurance on any self-installed boiler installations :)

Some regulations are totally rediculous. Wood Burning Stoves .... I had a Multi-fuel stove that I used to use maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Preferred central heating, but it was there and I had wood for it so it got a very occasional run. Looked into cavity wall insulation and I was told I could not have it unless I had a permanently open vent of 8" diameter in the sitting room where the stove was. And it had to be open regardless of the stove being used or not. Stupid or what!

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
all academic to me as I have no insurance on any self-installed boiler installations :)

Some regulations are totally rediculous. Wood Burning Stoves .... I had a Multi-fuel stove that I used to use maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Preferred central heating, but it was there and I had wood for it so it got a very occasional run. Looked into cavity wall insulation and I was told I could not have it unless I had a permanently open vent of 8" diameter in the sitting room where the stove was. And it had to be open regardless of the stove being used or not. Stupid or what!
I'm glad my house is detached :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
indeed. when it blows up due to your poor boiler install it won't affect any ajoining ones ;)
I'm sure the guy that will be installing my boiler will be pleased to know you think his workmanship is poor.

Do you know him??

As the present boiler does have all the certificates provided by the developer and I am fully insured if the worst were to happen I would hope that my neighbours as myself would have appropriate cover if the house blew up.

But then everyone knows that you only know how good an insurance policy is when you need them and the purchaser has bought the correct policy with sufficient cover.

As long as any damage to my neighbours were covered I'd take the money and run sell the land as a building plot win win :rofl:

Upvote 0

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I'm sure the guy that will be installing my boiler will be pleased to know you think his workmanship is poor.

Do you know him??

As the present boiler does have all the certificates provided by the developer and I am fully insured if the worst were to happen I would hope that my neighbours as myself would have appropriate cover if the house blew up.

But then everyone knows that you only know how good an insurance policy is when you need them and the purchaser has bought the correct policy with sufficient cover.

As long as any damage to my neighbours were covered I'd take the money and run sell the land as a building plot win win :rofl:
does it include a funeral plan in case you are inside at the time it blows up? always worth covering all bases :)

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
So much cheaper to do it yourself, it’s not too difficult….😎
I fitted a 60ltr tank under the van a few if years ago, T'd into existing pipe with shut off valve, added shut off valve to existing gas locker pipe to close off bottled gas supply. So I can carry 1 or 2 13kg calor bottles or close them off and run on the tank or vice-versa. Most of the time I am on the tank, with a bit of planning I have never had a problem getting gas. Some Morrison Supermarkets have Lpg. No problem Abroad. Bruce.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well, very disappointed to be unable to top up our Alugas bottle today. We want to spend three nights near Whitby so tried to fill up yesterday on A64 at Bilborough Top. My LPG app shows this as having a supply but not the case on the ground. No pump.
So today, en route to Whitby, drove to the souless abyss that is Monks Cross shopping centre to hopefully fill up at Asda that the app was showing LPG as at 5/2/2023. Arrived there to be told by the 11 year old 🙂 on the till that they had no gas!
So hopefully, we‘ll be able to find some at Boroughbridge on Wednesday night. Today, we’ll just enjoy the clear, cold evening at Russwarp.
9F8DE078-93C3-490B-B46E-41DD31F7D6EC.jpeg
21E01029-B451-4648-B08D-C721CAC4D133.jpeg
775C8B9A-039C-4270-9545-235DAF8A7FA1.jpeg

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Well, very disappointed to be unable to top up our Alugas bottle today. We want to spend three nights near Whitby so tried to fill up yesterday on A64 at Bilborough Top. My LPG app shows this as having a supply but not the case on the ground. No pump.
So today, en route to Whitby, drove to the souless abyss that is Monks Cross shopping centre to hopefully fill up at Asda that the app was showing LPG as at 5/2/2023. Arrived there to be told by the 11 year old 🙂 on the till that they had no gas!
So hopefully, we‘ll be able to find some at Boroughbridge on Wednesday night. Today, we’ll just enjoy the clear, cold evening at Russwarp. View attachment 713959View attachment 713961View attachment 713962
how close are you to thirsk

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
how close are you to thirsk
On Wednesday evening and Thursday morning, we’ll be at Boroughbridge so not that far. I know that I can get LPG at Autogas 2000 at Thirsk as they kindly confirmed we can call in there. But other outlets, always welcomed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Driving back from Gloucester today..
LPG next to Gloucester RFC Kingsholm..empty.. A40 by Witney Shell station..I think they no longer sell...only 1 station in Oxford and waiting 2 weeks for delivery...found some at Tiddington garage between Oxford and Thame.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Does the bp garage at flaxton?? On the a64 next to the leisure world do lpg still
I believe so. When we passed today, it was so full, I couldn't see onto the forecourt. But app still shows it as having LPG.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Filled up at Autogas in Thirsk yesterday and had the pleasure of meeting Basildog. We discussed, briefly, the shortages of LPG and the likely development of motorhome suppliers, nurseries and leisure outlets replacing garage forecourts as LPG suppliers. 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back