Is LPG being phased out? (1 Viewer)

LeahRose

Free Member
Apr 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hi all

Thanks for the heads up about the very disappointing news that Calor is discontinuing the 3.9kg & 4.5kg bottles, having finally managed to get hold of 2 for my Ducato Expedition 66.

So now I need to find an alternative asap. The gas locker is too small for a 6kg bottle and as the van is less than a year old I really don’t want to start modifying anything inside.

Having done some more searching on my, go to ‘font of all motorhoming knowledge’ aka Motorhome Funsters forum (you have no idea how much I have learnt from you guys 🙏😁) I found a thread about underslung LPG tanks and although expensive it looks like it might be the best option for my van. I’ve since emailed and chatted to the guys at Autogas they sound great, thanks again for the recommendation.

I’ve also however read that LPG is due to be phased out at filling stations in 2024. I was wondering if any of you guys know if that means it will be phased out completely or will we still be able to fill tanks? Obviously I don’t want to spend all that money if I’m unable to use it in 2 years.

I’d be really grateful for any advice. Thanks 🙂

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
It being phased out from traditional forecourts but there are a few initiatives to increase the availability at bulk fuel sites, motorhome dealers and even some builders merchants.

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
One of the major forecourt management companies said it would remove lpg from all its sites to fit ev chargers by 2024 but ,if I remember right, they only had about 70 out of its 900 sites selling lpg anyway

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Check if your locker might take a larger bottle. We once had a panel van and there was a lip at the bottom where you had to lift over a 6kg bottle. I cut the wooden lip out and could easily slide in an 11kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Would a 5 kg refillable safefill bottle fit in your locker? :unsure: Dimensions are in the links. ;)

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Get refillable bottles.
There are a number of systems/suppliers

There will always be enough suppliers of LPG, you will just have to look at the MyLPG.eu app on your phone for the latest updates
Yep…. I keep a lookout when the underslung tank gets a bit on the low side. Never had a problem yet, but the Truma regulator is still in the (non) gas locker and all I need is a pigtail and the BBQ cylinder and good to go at a price. Pretty lucky to be in this situation but use the LPG apps to see what is around and no issues

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hi all

Thanks for the heads up about the very disappointing news that Calor is discontinuing the 3.9kg & 4.5kg bottles, having finally managed to get hold of 2 for my Ducato Expedition 66.

So now I need to find an alternative asap. The gas locker is too small for a 6kg bottle and as the van is less than a year old I really don’t want to start modifying anything inside.

Having done some more searching on my, go to ‘font of all motorhoming knowledge’ aka Motorhome Funsters forum (you have no idea how much I have learnt from you guys 🙏😁) I found a thread about underslung LPG tanks and although expensive it looks like it might be the best option for my van. I’ve since emailed and chatted to the guys at Autogas they sound great, thanks again for the recommendation.

I’ve also however read that LPG is due to be phased out at filling stations in 2024. I was wondering if any of you guys know if that means it will be phased out completely or will we still be able to fill tanks? Obviously I don’t want to spend all that money if I’m unable to use it in 2 years.

I’d be really grateful for any advice. Thanks 🙂
Nanniemate is looking into this at the moment with her van which takes 3.9 kg bottles.
My locker is only 50cm high with a lip but Charlie at Autogas thinks he ca get a 6Kg in there to try and keep the costs down for me as the cost of 2 smaller bottles in only a little cheaper than the bigger bottles

I am hoping the calor I have will last until I can get up there

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66

Two Gaslow 2.7kg refillable cylinders will fit in the gas locker of an Expedition 66. Other than adding an external fill point (can be very neatly done in the side rear plastic panel next to the locker), there's no other modification needed to the van.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Two Gaslow 2.7kg refillable cylinders will fit in the gas locker of an Expedition 66. Other than adding an external fill point (can be very neatly done in the side rear plastic panel next to the locker), there's no other modification needed to the van.
That was my plan until Charlie at Autogas after getting pics and measurements and a long chat felt that to save me some £'s he could get the larger cylinder in. If not it back to 2x 2.7 ones

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
6E4EFB3A-237D-43C8-87D4-A2036FB47F7B.png

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I found a lump hammer helped me get an 11kg Gaslow bottle into a locker in my then PVC which was only meant to take 6kg ones. 😁

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2021
Orpington, UK
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
It should be on the increase ,I know its not totally clean but certainly better than diesel and petrol only vehicles.Still widely available in EU and here in WA Australia.

Upvote 1
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
It should be on the increase ,I know its not totally clean but certainly better than diesel and petrol only vehicles.Still widely available in EU and here in WA Australia.
shrek snr .. in UK the problem is that very few vehicles use it for propulsion now..
We motorhomers use it for cooking and heating and as such some forecourts are removing there pumped LPG pumps.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Autogas is definitely getting harder to find in the UK as filling stations remove the dispensers due to lack of mainstream demand. When was the last time you saw a car fill up with LPG here?

It's becoming a niche product for motorhomes, so hopefully more motorhome dealers and campsites will install pumps to meet our demand.

However, on the continent Autogas is still very easy to get hold of. Recently in France and Spain I had to wait several times for a car to fill up before I could fill myself. Renault and Dacia in particular seem to have really pushed into the LPG car market.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I see lots of salads eaten in the cold. It’s definitely becoming more difficult in some areas. Even Calor at Risby Suffolk have stopped selling it. Useless lot !
Phil upmetank.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
We use it for propulsion.
Yep thought you did.... we used to use for propulsion as well but now gas propulsion declining in UK but still have leisure use for it. However as demand for it decreases some think it will soon not be available..
WONT HAPPEN. There will always be requirements for pumped LPG..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LeahRose

LeahRose

Free Member
Apr 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Thanks for the replies

A ton of great information, advice and ideas from everyone as always Thank you 🙏 Plenty of food for thought Now to go away have a think and deliberate 🤔 Happy days 😁

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I suspect the ratio of the cost of the containers to the profitabilty of selling small amounts of gas even at the daft prices we pay on the UK is at least part of the issue. Phasing out LPG when so many rural communities rely on it would be difficult.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back