Is LPG being phased out? (1 Viewer)

LeahRose

Free Member
Apr 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hi all

Thanks for the heads up about the very disappointing news that Calor is discontinuing the 3.9kg & 4.5kg bottles, having finally managed to get hold of 2 for my Ducato Expedition 66.

So now I need to find an alternative asap. The gas locker is too small for a 6kg bottle and as the van is less than a year old I really don’t want to start modifying anything inside.

Having done some more searching on my, go to ‘font of all motorhoming knowledge’ aka Motorhome Funsters forum (you have no idea how much I have learnt from you guys 🙏😁) I found a thread about underslung LPG tanks and although expensive it looks like it might be the best option for my van. I’ve since emailed and chatted to the guys at Autogas they sound great, thanks again for the recommendation.

I’ve also however read that LPG is due to be phased out at filling stations in 2024. I was wondering if any of you guys know if that means it will be phased out completely or will we still be able to fill tanks? Obviously I don’t want to spend all that money if I’m unable to use it in 2 years.

I’d be really grateful for any advice. Thanks 🙂

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Hi, I don’t disagree, but having just fitted a Gaslow can and therefore connected two hoses, I don’t see this as beyond the ability of someone with minimal skills. Additionally the instructions from Gaslow where very well written.

the most tricky bit been the 70mm hole in the skirt, but Screwfix provided the right holesaw for under a tenner.

I had been quoted £750 for this install, yet I have done it for £305…. So the £445 is a massive incentive to diy.
Single 11 kg Gaslow kit approximately £450.00 including installation
Single 6kg kit approximately £430.00 including installation
You would be amazed how many people cannot follow the instructions and know better .
There’s an unhealthy obsession in fact I think 🤔 it’s actually an addiction to PTFE tape ⚠️
More likely to cause a leak than belt and braces that the idiots all try to tell you 😂

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Single 11 kg Gaslow kit approximately £450.00 including installation
Single 6kg kit approximately £430.00 including installation
You would be amazed how many people cannot follow the instructions and know better .
There’s an unhealthy obsession in fact I think 🤔 it’s actually an addiction to PTFE tape ⚠️
More likely to cause a leak than belt and braces that the idiots all try to tell you 😂
I was quoted £750 by a well known dealer, just off the A46…which included a 20% discount on the goods.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
Newbie again
I’ve flown through the six pages as I was curious on this one. Calor supply refills on exchange basis, as we all paid our deposits for our initial bottles. Are we all able to rock up and get our refunds of deposits? I have 4 x 4.5kg Calor bottles, that I think I’d like to return now to get an alternative product that still meets my requirements. Just asking like. Could we all ask Calor?

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
Newbie again
If you have the original paperwork, you may get some back
As they accept them on an exchange basis, without paperwork, I’d think there is precedent to get a refund. I’ve had mine for thirty years, moved house several times. Never been asked for the receipt on exchange. Not sure the original paperwork requirement would stand up in a small claims court?

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I was quoted £750 by a well known dealer, just off the A46…which included a 20% discount on the goods.
That wouldn't be a well known dealer who's name sounds similar to Broonfools, would it? ;) If yes, I wouldn't even buy a packet of fuses from them :doh:

If you have the original paperwork, you may get some back
It'll be an absolute pittance, compared to your initial cylinder rental outlay. As always, there is only one winner..........and it's never the customer
:mad:

Jock. :(

Upvote 0

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
As they accept them on an exchange basis, without paperwork, I’d think there is precedent to get a refund. I’ve had mine for thirty years, moved house several times. Never been asked for the receipt on exchange. Not sure the original paperwork requirement would stand up in a small claims court?

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I’ve flown through the six pages as I was curious on this one. Calor supply refills on exchange basis, as we all paid our deposits for our initial bottles. Are we all able to rock up and get our refunds of deposits? I have 4 x 4.5kg Calor bottles, that I think I’d like to return now to get an alternative product that still meets my requirements. Just asking like. Could we all ask Calor?
Yes if you can produce the original lease contracts , but not on the little bottles

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Rhino Installs supply and fit 2 x 6kg bottles, filler etc plus auto change over for £845, 2 x 11kg £885.

£510 for a single 6kg. £530 for 11kg, fitted

£945 for a 30 litre underslung, fitted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Rhino Installs supply and fit 2 x 6kg bottles, filler etc plus auto change over for £845, 2 x 11kg £885.

£510 for a single 6kg. £530 for 11kg, fitted

£945 for a 30 litre underslung, fitted

£213 for a single 10kg Safefill light weight bottle --- fitted?

2 X 10kg with tee and hose's less than £530

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
It'll be an absolute pittance, compared to your initial cylinder rental outlay. As always, there is only one winner..........and it's never the customer
:mad:

Jock. :(
I am definitely not a fan of Calor but think about the business model here for a moment .
Along comes our leisure user and pays his cylinder deposit but gives the cylinder away when he sells it , has never actually empties it over the 5 years he had it .
New owners bright idea is to make a wood burning stove with his free cylinder as he already has 2 his mate gave him .
Personally I can see why Calor seem to have lost interest in the cylinder market , it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they want rid of the small cylinder market completely it’s so seasonal in the U.K. as it’s predominantly used for leisure purposes in the smaller sizes .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2015
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 884
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, I don’t disagree, but having just fitted a Gaslow can and therefore connected two hoses, I don’t see this as beyond the ability of someone with minimal skills. Additionally the instructions from Gaslow where very well written.

the most tricky bit been the 70mm hole in the skirt, but Screwfix provided the right holesaw for under a tenner.

I had been quoted £750 for this install, yet I have done it for £305…. So the £445 is a massive incentive to diy.
I fit my own system in my last Autotrail, doddle to fit, the problem I had was finding someone to sell me the kit, it seems a lot easier now. I have worked offshore oil and gas for 30 years, so I can understand some think fitting a gas cylinder is more dangerous. £445 for fitting is insane, when I bought my last kit I went to Autogas2000 they charged £100 for installation, the weather had been crap all week so it was a no brainer, I let them do it.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I fit my own system in my last Autotrail, doddle to fit, the problem I had was finding someone to sell me the kit, it seems a lot easier now. I have worked offshore oil and gas for 30 years, so I can understand some think fitting a gas cylinder is more dangerous. £445 for fitting is insane, when I bought my last kit I went to Autogas2000 they charged £100 for installation, the weather had been crap all week so it was a no brainer, I let them do it.
That’s exactly what we charge at Autogas 2000 £100.00 + vat

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Lunar Landstar ews
I cannot see it being Phased out as there are Road vehicles running on LPG, it Is more Prevalent in France sometimes have to queue behind cars which are filling up with their equivalent GLP ,and its always cheaper than here , Local garage here has put his Price up to £1.07 a Litre, Greedy Begger.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I cannot see it being Phased out as there are Road vehicles running on LPG, it Is more Prevalent in France sometimes have to queue behind cars which are filling up with their equivalent GLP ,and its always cheaper than here , Local garage here has put his Price up to £1.07 a Litre, Greedy Begger.
Many are over £1.20 a litre now .
He’s not going to get rich @ £1.07 I can assure you .
We are actually considering a minimum charge .

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It's gone back down from £0.80ppl to £0.78ppl at our local Flogas Depot back home.

It's around €1.00pl just about everywhere you go out here in Spain.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's gone back down from £0.80ppl to £0.78ppl at our local Flogas Depot back home.

It's around €1.00pl just about everywhere you go out here in Spain.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Just paid 88c a litre, we use the Fuel flash app as recommended by someone on here which is very accurate and easy to use.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
the pipe going to your reg pull through and fix rex next to under slug and connect with a pig tail
Under slug? Doesn't the slime make it slippery??? 😆 Sorry couldn't resist! 😄

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
all the above may well be correct. does not stop someone perfectly legally actually doing the installation.

As I said, rightly or wrongly - or if you prefer ... like it or not.
I could suggest your house insurer may decline, God forbid if anything went wrong necessitating a claim, if you have self installed without the relevant qualifications.

Upvote 0

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I could suggest your house insurer may decline, God forbid if anything went wrong necessitating a claim, if you have self installed without the relevant qualifications.
you could suggest that. I could suggest that as you did nothing outside the law, they would be unable to so. who cares. I don't.
It is not a matter or what is a good idea or bad idea, it is a matter of what is legal and what is not. Lots of things that are perfectly legal to do are very bad ideas (for example, allowing incompetent people to buy explosives and set them off is a very stupid thing to allow, as it demonstrated every November vividly, but there are no laws against it)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back