Good movies you've watched, please add more. (2 Viewers)

Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Prey - A Predator prequel. My favourite Predator film by far, since the first film of course.

Moon - An older film I seem to go back to every few years. Low budget but you wouldn't know it. Directed by Duncan Jones (David Bowies son) An astronaut working alone on the moon for a mining company is coming towards the end of his contract. He falls into ill health leading up to his journey home date and then runs into a younger/healthier version of himself.......

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I quite enjoyed avatar the way of water, but not as much as the original

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am coming late to this thread, so I apologise if any of my selection has already been mentioned

The Red Balloon

The Dresser

Lord of the Flies

The Servant

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Night Porter

Missing

Ryan's Daughter

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

I have probably missed some.

Then there are two classics -

The Third Man

Breakfast at Tiffany's

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Can I throw in a Netflix series? I've just finished binge watching Santa Clarita Diet. It's the best thing I've watched in ages, so well written and funny. I'm now going back through it again with my husband. I get it won't be everyone's cup of tea, and I won't even try and describe it, just have a go!!
Thank you for throwing this in onto Episode 6 already and the opening episode had a couple of well politically incorrect quips which caught my attention and havent been let down on since.
It is certainly my cup of tea and is so wrong it is right

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If not mentioned before, Enemy of the State, brill (y)

Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
An American Werewolf in London. An oldie and one of my all time favourites. The 'transformation' scene is still jaw dropping and the soundtrack is just great. One of those 'WTF was that!' films. Not to mention an early Rik Mayall appearance. And Jenny Agutter as one of movie lands hottest nurses. This is prime entertainment.

Jul 19, 2019
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Carthago M-Liner 52w
Exp
Film Buff Hat On...🕵️‍♂️

Cinematography, Music, Plot, Dialogue, Acting and... Message or Moral. Few modern films have them. The 20 best films, imho, which have stood the test of time...

in no particular order

1. The Third Man (1949)

Harry Lime: "Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax!"

2. Vertigo (1958)

Scottie: "Don't you think it's a waste, to wander separately?"
Madeleine: "Only one is a wanderer. Two together are always going somewhere."

3. Paths of Glory (1957)

General Broulard: "These executions will be a perfect tonic for the entire division. There are few things more fundamentally encouraging and stimulating than seeing someone else die...You see, Colonel, troops are like children. Just as a child wants his father to be firm, troops crave discipline. And one way to maintain discipline is to shoot a man now and then."

4. The Dambusters (1955)

Ministry Official: "You say you need a Wellington Bomber for test drops. They're worth their weight in gold. Do you really think the authorities will lend you one? What possible argument could I put forward to get you a Wellington?"
Barnes Wallis, C.B.E., F.R.S.: "Well, if you told them I designed it, do you think that would help?"

5. Casablanca (1942)

No need for quotes. This film contains all the 9 stories of Greek antiquity. Therefore, there is only one story: Casablanca !

6. Out of the Past (1947)

Robert Mitchum at his finest. Brilliant entrance by Kirk Douglas, who lived to 103...
Meta: "Do you always go around leaving your fingerprints on a girl's shoulders? Not that I mind particularly. You've got nice strong hands."

7. 12 Angry Men (1957)

claustrophobic and brilliant
Juror #9: "This gentleman has been standing alone against us. It's not easy to stand alone against the ridicule of others. So he gambled for support - and I gave it to him."

8. Chinatown (1974)

Noah Cross: "You see, Mr. Gittes, most people never have to face the fact that at the right time, the right place, they're capable of... Anything!"

9. Breaker Morant (1980)

True story. We like to think we're "the good guys", but war is hell...
Morant: "It's a new kind of war, George. A new war for a new century. I suppose this is the first time the enemy hasn't been in uniform. They're farmers. They come from small villages, and they shoot at us from behind walls and from farmhouses. Some of them are women, some of them are children..."

10. Blade Runner (1982)

very intelligent sci-fi
Tyrell: "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very very brightly, Roy..."

11. The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Spade: "The... stuff that dreams are made of."

12. The Elephant Man (1980)

Merrick: "I am not an elephant! I am not an animal! I am a human being! I... am... a man!"

13. Odd Man Out (1947)

unusual British film sympathetic to the IRA. James Mason's finest performance
Inspector: "In my profession there is neither good nor bad. There is innocence and guilt. That's all."

14. The Terminator (1984)

very clever sci-fi plot
Reese: "Come with me if you want to live..."

15. The Day of the Jackal (1973)

even though we know de Gaulle lives, it keeps you on the edge of your seat
Col. Rodin: "Speaking as a professional, do you think it's possible?"
The Jackal: "It's possible. The point is getting away with it. And speaking as a professional, that's a very important consideration."

16. Farewell, My Lovely (1975)

Marlowe: "This past spring was the first that I felt tired and realized I was growing old. Maybe it was the rotten weather we'd had in L.A. Maybe the rotten cases I'd had. Mostly chasing a few missing husbands and then chasing their wives once I found them, in order to get paid. Or maybe it was just the plain fact that I am tired and growing old."

17. The Devils (1971)

Baron De Laubardemont: "I also have a maxim, father: give me three lines of a man's handwriting and I will hang him..."

18. The Shining (1980)

Grady: "I'm sorry to differ with you, sir... but you are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know, sir. I've always been here."

19. The Hill (1965) Sean Connery's best film. Superb acting from everyone. Very un-PC, so never shown on TV.

RSM Bert Wilson: "Then there's the Commandant. The Commandant signs bits of paper. He'd sign his own death warrant if I gave it to him."
Trooper Joe Roberts: "We're all doing time - even the screws..."

20. The Asphalt Jungle (1950) an early role for Marilyn Monroe

Doc Riedenschneider: "Experience has taught me never to trust a policeman. Just when you think one's all right, he turns legit."

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Heads up Funsters, just watched this again on BBC1, hopefully its on The BBC I player, The Heat....please don't miss it, its hilarious, starring along with Sandra Bullock, is Mellisa McCartney (Mullen) she is unforgettable in this role:rofl:
LES

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Without trawling back through the thread, I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but we have just watched ‘The Secret’ starring James Nesbitt and Genevieve O’Reilly on Netflix.
Based on a true story set in Coleraine, N.Ireland in the 1990s. Truly engrossing with superb script and acting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back