Getting stuck in Mud (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
now in past i was happy with thin yellow slip maps but earlier this year had to get a tugger to move me. so i bought 2 x Waffle Boards Recovery Mats Bridging Ladders 1220mm x330mm . Observation they are bloody heavy and big. its there in the size. Sensibly where can i store them? we have no garage and no space in the ski cupboard. Underneath somewhere is the answer but how. Rapido on a Standard Fiat low chassis. Ive got a couple of metres of studding and R clips, Is it feasible to stick some Aly angle to floor or chassis (puraflex 40). Any other suggestions or pickies of existing solutions.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I don't think any of the motorhomes would got off that field this morning. I reckon half the tuggers had 4x4. Maybe 40-50 units to get off so if you were last....oh dear deffo need a tow! Before anyone asks I drove on ok:LOL: then a thunderstorm of Friday night and field couldn't recover! It's a lovely thing to see everyone helping each though.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I don't think any of the motorhomes would got off that field this morning. I reckon half the tuggers had 4x4. Maybe 40-50 units to get off so if you were last....oh dear deffo need a tow! Before anyone asks I drove on ok:LOL: then a thunderstorm of Friday night and field couldn't recover! It's a lovely thing to see everyone helping each though.
Even a 4X4 is only as good/bad as its tyres...
A 2WD car with good all terrain type tyres will be better than a 4X4 with summer road tyres...

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
There was two friends who both has xc90s they took turns helping people on and off field. I did pay attention to the tyres which weren't off road jobs. The guy did say I was the only unit he failed to tow off or on when I left. 2014 vehicles, the guys loved it! The farmer used these little 'Polaris' things. I did ask inquisitively why he didn't use his tractor. He replied if I use that the field will get worse plus it's ploughing the next field. I ploughed his field for free :LOL:

Upvote 0

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
With regards to storing the get out of mud boards under the motorhome. If you get stuck in the mud then you are going to be lower to the ground so getting said boards out is going to be harder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
With regards to storing the get out of mud boards under the motorhome. If you get stuck in the mud then you are going to be lower to the ground so getting said boards out is going to be harder.
As I said in post #10, ............. not a problem when you have a hydraulic jack in each corner. (y) ;) :giggle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
A lot of issues can be reduced by assement and planning and not listenning to someone unknown halfway through a movement (other than stop). Get your stuff ready and have someone you trust nearby (don't let her go to the toilet or stop if you do). Only once did i get stuck with a Bongo when VWs were getting 10 foot from the gate, then i detached the trailer and got to better places. So after this next modification i will be looking for all terrain tyres when next needed. What is the now preferred Toyo version (15").
PS thanks for all the sensible answers and some bloody good ideas.
As poppycamper says do i need them , for where i go definitely yes, surprised i havent had more grief this last 6 years.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
When I asked a similar question I was told old carpet works so maybe carrying a couple of strips of that might be an easier option ?

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
When I asked a similar question I was told old carpet works so maybe carrying a couple of strips of that might be an easier option ?
Nope fraid not... old carpet just gets thrown out by wheel same as the thin Fiamma treads...

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Can it walk out on its rams then?

You lift the van up on the jacks and place the waffle boards under the wheels and then lower the van down onto the waffle boards and drive off, simples.
If you get stuck a little farther on your quest to get onto firmer ground, then repeat, been there done it and it works. (y)
Sorry, I thought that you would have been able to have worked out why I would be using the jack. ;) :giggle:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I'm not convinced about building a carrying spot underneath!

If you sink first they may not be available and worse thought, the van starts sinking while you're underneath getting them!
Were on a campsite at the weekend, part of it was closed due to wet ground. We have bread boards and extra wide gripper mats drove onto them had rain one night but ground where we were was ok.was a bit annoyed that, despite the soggy ground, some were happily making it more so with grey water, Carthago driver responsible had to drive over the grey water emptying point to get off the site.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Once you've got your boards stored I'd say when in doubt you need to drive onto 'em. Without jacks it's a real task to try and dig them in afterwards, and in my case the Camping Club wouldn't allow that so I had to call a tow truck. Got cross climate tyres now and would like a fixed diff, though being easy on the throttle, softening the tyres and using reverse could be as important.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
This isn't a reflection of the op several of the situations I've seen where vehicles have been stuck were just down to poor driving. The most common issue being drivers churning up mud by wheel spinning in first gear, using full wheel lock or not using momentum to get over things.

If you're going to be in situations where getting stuck is likely, I'd recommend a driving experience with someone who can help advise on how to drive in more challenging environments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2018
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria izola 5687sp
Exp
since 2018
This isn't a reflection of the op several of the situations I've seen where vehicles have been stuck were just down to poor driving. The most common issue being drivers churning up mud by wheel spinning in first gear, not using momentum to get over things or using full wheel lock.

If you're going to be in situations where getting stuck is likely, I'd recommend a driving experience with someone who can help advise on how to drive in more challenging environments.
“using full wheel lock.“ never tried that and I previously thought would dig you in more

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I used these, very successfully, when I got stuck in mud on a French aire earlier this year......
Oziral Snow Chain for Tyres 7 Pcs Universal Anti-Skid Emergency Traction Tire Chain for Cars SUV Truck Driving on Snow and Ice Road, Sand and Mud Road, Fit Tire Width 165mm-265mm/6.5-10.4'' https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B6DTDFK7?tag=mhf04-21

20240104_085053.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are in north yorkshire at the moment on a camc rally and we got stuck getting onto the pitch. We didnt have any waffle boards but the friendly marshals had some milk trays so we lowered our legs, raised our wheels and hey presto was out. A great use of our levelling system. We are now nose down ready when we leave. The ground is drying so should get out ok.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We are in north yorkshire at the moment on a camc rally and we got stuck getting onto the pitch. We didnt have any waffle boards but the friendly marshals had some milk trays so we lowered our legs, raised our wheels and hey presto was out. A great use of our levelling system. We are now nose down ready when we leave. The ground is drying so should get out ok.

I tried them once, but I found the soft centres don't take the weight of our van, but the harder ones like the Caramilk chocolate, and Fruit & Nut held up better. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
This isn't a reflection of the op several of the situations I've seen where vehicles have been stuck were just down to poor driving. The most common issue being drivers churning up mud by wheel spinning in first gear, using full wheel lock or not using momentum to get over things.

We found that with us been automatic was difficult to get out. Maybe we need an automatic course. We have m and s Michelin tyres, but are definitely upgrading our tyres later this year to all terrain. Just glad we could vertically lift out🤣

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We found that with us been automatic was difficult to get out. Maybe we need an automatic course. We have m and s Michelin tyres, but are definitely upgrading our tyres later this year to all terrain. Just glad we could vertically lift out🤣

Be careful with all terrain tyres... You will probably find the they are noisier and less fuel efficient than road tyres, they'll wear out faster and give a stiffer, less comfortable ride.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Be careful with all terrain tyres... You will probably find the they are noisier and less fuel efficient than road tyres, they'll wear out faster and give a stiffer, less comfortable ride.
I Was very wary when I heard similar advise when I was thinking about fitting Goodyear KO2 AT tyres to my XC90.
Fortunately decided to ignore advice and fitted them.
In all honesty they were not notably any noisier or less comfortable than the road tyres they replaced.
As for fuel consumption, I cannot comment as I am not one to monitor fuel consumption that closely to be able to determine the 2 or 3 mpg differrance..for various tyres makes..

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I Was very wary when I heard similar advise when I was thinking about fitting Goodyear KO2 AT tyres to my XC90.
Fortunately decided to ignore advice and fitted them.
In all honesty they were not notably any noisier or less comfortable than the road tyres they replaced.
As for fuel consumption, I cannot comment as I am not one to monitor fuel consumption that closely to be able to determine the 2 or 3 mpg differrance..for various tyres makes..
Are they good on soft ground and snow?

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Are they good on soft ground and snow?
90% of my vanning is at THS, rallys or festivals.
When I was a tugger I had a large twin axle rallye and XC90 and got out of many many rather wet and muddy fields and also recovered numerous moho's...
So IMO, yes good on soft ground..
As for snow can't really comment as never used them in anger on snow..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back