Getting stuck in Mud (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
now in past i was happy with thin yellow slip maps but earlier this year had to get a tugger to move me. so i bought 2 x Waffle Boards Recovery Mats Bridging Ladders 1220mm x330mm . Observation they are bloody heavy and big. its there in the size. Sensibly where can i store them? we have no garage and no space in the ski cupboard. Underneath somewhere is the answer but how. Rapido on a Standard Fiat low chassis. Ive got a couple of metres of studding and R clips, Is it feasible to stick some Aly angle to floor or chassis (puraflex 40). Any other suggestions or pickies of existing solutions.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
now in past i was happy with thin yellow slip maps but earlier this year had to get a tugger to move me. so i bought 2 x Waffle Boards Recovery Mats Bridging Ladders 1220mm x330mm . Observation they are bloody heavy and big. its there in the size. Sensibly where can i store them? we have no garage and no space in the ski cupboard. Underneath somewhere is the answer but how. Rapido on a Standard Fiat low chassis. Ive got a couple of metres of studding and R clips, Is it feasible to stick some Aly angle to floor or chassis (puraflex 40). Any other suggestions or pickies of existing solutions.

Do you really need such boards? They seem excessive and would reduce your payload for things you'd use regularly.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Can't show pictures at tha moment as we're away. However in answering your question, I screw and glued some cargo lashing rail to under side of the floor in the gap between the skirts and chassis rails. I have suspended trays off them for a spare cassette and rolled up sand mats.Also some useful timber bits for popping under the chassis if needed, or alternative ramps. I use ratchet straps to pull the trays up snug to the floor underside. No problems thus far. Small grabber screws work best, and plenty of them, it's only a skinny sheet of plyboard.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Is it not easier to not get in a stuck situation in the first place. It seems a lot of effort to go to for a just in case moment that could have been avoided possibly. šŸ‘

Not always an option. I was at Donington circuit last weekend for motor racing. It was reasonably dry when we arrived but pissed it down on Sunday. I got stuck. I new it was a possibility as the same happened the year before but there is no alternative unless you just don't go. Not letting a bit of mud spoil my life!

Someone else asked this question this the other day, (somewhere) and they attend rallies etc which are often in fields so unless you just don't go on these events you haven't got much choice.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not convinced about building a carrying spot underneath!

If you sink first they may not be available and worse thought, the van starts sinking while you're underneath getting them!

Not a problem when you have a hydraulic jack in each corner. (y) ;) :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Until the jacks sink in the mud

Which is why I have four of these in a side locker for such occasions, and soft ground. (y)

1714982410217.png

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Which is why I have four of these in a side locker for such occasions, and soft ground. (y)

View attachment 893858
Oooh great idea, weā€™ve got some sheets of that stuff at work ready to make some walkways, Iā€™ll be hoping thereā€™s some off cuts that go sparešŸ‘šŸ‘

Iā€™ve already got two lengths of that stuff (50mmšŸ˜³šŸ˜³) from eBay in the van to get me out the šŸ’© if neededšŸ˜

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Here's my setup for carrying my waffle boards under our van as we don't have a garage on our van.

Rivnuts into the chassis rail and cross members to take a couple of aluminium brackets and bolt the waffle boards up. The rear mounting uses an aluminium tube as a stand-off to the chassis rail.

1714983158289.png

1714983177842.png

1714983192497.png

I carry another pair of waffle boards on the back of our van.
A few Funsters have made use of the in the past, only had to use them once myself so far to get out of the mire.

1714983422236.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Iā€™m a cheapskate. I cut the bottoms out of old bread crates. Voila. Instant waffle board substitutes ā€¦ and they ainā€™t heavy vis a vis payload.

Dunno about your storage question, though. In the 3 vans Iā€™ve had over the years, Iā€™ve always found locker space for them somewhere or other.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Do you really need such boards? They seem excessive and would reduce your payload for things you'd use regularly.
I would say the answer to that is.... It depends!
If you predominantly use hardstanding pitchs then definately not...
If however, like a lot on here you attend Rally's, THS's, Festivals, Motor Sports Events, Dog Shows, Horse Trials and the many many other events where grass and mud is all part of it and is a given...
The yes definately....

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I wish I had waffle boards this morning šŸ˜ž
View attachment 893862
Well I was up and at it this morning, I wanted to be one of the first off before it became a mini Glastonbury. At 10 it started to rain and we watched a tugger get stuck which wasn't good viewing. Anyways I called a code red, let's get the feck out of here. We hastedly dropped the water etc and I waited my turn with engine warming. The tugger had been pulled off (hehe) by another tugger in his very capable Volvo XC90........then I was off following my line I'd walked earlier in the morning. My van was cleverly placed on 1 metre ground Matt's. With a roar of my engine I was off ......I valiently travelled 0.50 metres:cautious:. Kind tugger in Volvo hooked up and got me right into the middle of the mire when we got stuck. Farmer came with 'toy tractor' thing.....my old girl was stuck despite the attention of the tugger and the farmer. It took two farmers with toys to relieve the old girl!
A great weekend with a bit of drama at the finish, but lovely helpful people all round.They wouldn't take a penny in thank you.
Yes I will be investing in some hard recovery boards!

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Just get a twin wheel rear wheel drive and plough on....... Shocked at how good the 7500kg RV coped with wet Peterborough show last year. šŸ˜
Initially wanted a 4X4 Sprinter for my conversion but hard to source and I most definately did not want anything FWD, so ended up with a dual rear wheel Movano at 4100kg and yes I can certainly vouch for its quite stunning grip performance on less than ideal conditions, as witnessed by a grateful Ducato owner couple years ago when I pulled him out of a very wet rally field....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back