Firestick (2 Viewers)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I've been using the Firestick 4K powered through the Avtex USB socket without problem for the last year. Works so well, have hardly used the RoadPro satellite dome. It is dependent on getting an adequate mobile signal. But used it over winter in Portugal, Spain and France with 2 bars of 3G mostly.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We have a small battery pack you can charge your phone with, as the van is new and I didn’t have time before our recent holiday to fit a socket I used this and it powered the FS no problem.
Bingo...... Did this and it worked brilliantly did Software updates on installation l then logged into Amazon Prime loaded Apps etc,watched Premiership catch-up and then a film and it barely touched the power of the battery pack. Delighted.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bingo...... Did this and it worked brilliantly did Software updates on installation l then logged into Amazon Prime loaded Apps etc,watched Premiership catch-up and then a film and it barely touched the power of the battery pack. Delighted.
Glad to be of help, not sure size of your battery but ours last a few nights no issues but easy to charge when not in use.

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
Has anyone managed to get the FireStick remote to work with the Avtex TV? I know there was some discussion about the codes needed a while ago, but no one seemed to have one that worked. I got no reply from Avtex when I asked them.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Has anyone managed to get the FireStick remote to work with the Avtex TV? I know there was some discussion about the codes needed a while ago, but no one seemed to have one that worked. I got no reply from Avtex when I asked them.
I never got the Firestick remote to work the Avtex. The name simply didn't appear in the list of makes. Be interested if anyone has got it to work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Whats the difference between an Amazon and a Roku firestick, Is it just something like VHS v Betamax?

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I never got the Firestick remote to work the Avtex. The name simply didn't appear in the list of makes. Be interested if anyone has got it to work.
If you select the Avtec from the list it should work.....dunno if it’s an Amazon typo or a different brand but it works.

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
Whats the difference between an Amazon and a Roku firestick, Is it just something like VHS v Betamax?
We have a Roku stick at home prefer it to fire stick as I can also get NOW TV on it as well as all the others including prime. It works the same as fire stick. I’ll be using it in the MH when we get it.

Mar 7, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware S
Exp
3 years
I prefer the Roku stick as its powered from the usb on the Avtex. No faffing with a 3 pin plug socket and trailing lead. Now TV added to the available apps another reason for my preference. As an aside I often download progs/ films etc onto my phone whilst at home and use smart view to connect to Roku or Firestick to view wirelessly. Sat dish rarely used in the UK.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
If you scroll to the very end of the long long list you will find my brand not listed click on that one to complete the process.
My TV is an Alphatronics that wasn’t listed and this worked for me.

Deleted User
And don't forget the UKTV and Radio android app, works on almost anything wherever you are without the need for a firestick.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
It would be great to use our Sky account when we are away in the van. As far as I know Sky have it sewn up so would have to pay a higher subscription to get Q. We don’t have a smart TV in the van so even if we did pay for Q, how would you watch it?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
It would be great to use our Sky account when we are away in the van. As far as I know Sky have it sewn up so would have to pay a higher subscription to get Q. We don’t have a smart TV in the van so even if we did pay for Q, how would you watch it?
Sky GO is your sky account on a portable device for live Sky channels.
Sky GO Plus is the one with download & record.

sky said:
What is Sky Go?
sky said:
Download the Sky Go app today to watch the TV you love on your phone, tablet or laptop

• Use Sky Go in the EU at no extra cost
• Live and on demand TV, on 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi
• Sky Mobile customers can watch Sky TV on the go without using their data

• Yours at no extra cost as part of your Sky TV subscription

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Sky GO is your sky account on a portable device for live Sky channels.
Sky GO Plus is the one with download & record.
Cheers yes but I‘d like to watch it on a proper TV rather than iPad/laptop. Would be much better if you had an App on these smart TV’s or streaming sticks. I did see a Now TV one, but it’s not clear if you can use it with an existing Sky account.
Actually just discovered the Google Chromecast which apparently works with Apple. So could use use Sky Go on iPad and then cast it onto the TV. Cant watch stuff already recorded at home on Sky Box though.

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Cheers yes but I‘d like to watch it on a proper TV rather than iPad/laptop. Would be much better if you had an App on these smart TV’s or streaming sticks. I did see a Now TV one, but it’s not clear if you can use it with an existing Sky account.
Actually just discovered the Google Chromecast which apparently works with Apple. So could use use Sky Go on iPad and then cast it onto the TV. Cant watch stuff already recorded at home on Sky Box though.
Oh! That is different.
There may be a smart TVs app but for the Firestick I think Sky & Amazon still need to sort that app out.
Maybe on that mirroring your devices works or an unofficial sidebar Kodi type thing.
I haven’t yet tried the former & the latter is outside my “subject matter expertise” 😳

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I use downloader and have sideloaded stuff but don’t have sky so have never done this.....

You will need to enable install apps from unknown sources on the firestick first tho.....and install downloader from the App Store

How to Install the Sky Go On Firestick using Downloader
Step 1: Once done with the prerequisite, you have to go to the home screen of Firestick to click on the search bar.

Step 2: Open the Downloader app from the Apps section. If you don’t have it installed already, on the search bar, type in as Downloader and click on the search icon to find it.

Step 3: On the Downloader home, you have to provide the URL of the Sky Go apk to download it. Type in the URL https://bit.ly/2sOUxV2 (Updated link) and click on the Go option to proceed further.

Step 4: Scroll down the website and click Download APK (67.9 MB).

Step 5: Tap click here if the apk file is not downloaded.

Step 6: Wait for the server to download the Sky Go apk file on your Firestick.

Step 7: Click on the Next button to start the installation of Sky Go.

Step 8: Click on the Install button when the Next button changes to install.

Step 9: Wait until you see App installed on the Firestick. Click on the Open button.

Step 10: Open the app and enjoy streaming your favorite channels

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have a firestick and an android box and also use my phone in mirror mode. I can say the firestick is the most restricting and slow option.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I have a firestick and an android box and also use my phone in mirror mode. I can say the firestick is the most restricting and slow option.
A few of us have got the Firestick 4K and that is a lot faster in the menus than the original Firestick. In our opinions

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
fire tv cube as it has facility to record more, though i havent tried it via the avtex usb for power yet. its on a list of 'must try'

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
If you select the Avtec from the list it should work.....dunno if it’s an Amazon typo or a different brand but it works.
If you mean 'Avatec' then I did try this, but it didn't work for me. It is a brand of TV (as is 'Ken Brown' and 'Kevin' that are also in the list!)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
I use downloader and have sideloaded stuff but don’t have sky so have never done this.....

You will need to enable install apps from unknown sources on the firestick first tho.....and install downloader from the App Store

How to Install the Sky Go On Firestick using Downloader
Step 1: Once done with the prerequisite, you have to go to the home screen of Firestick to click on the search bar.

Step 2: Open the Downloader app from the Apps section. If you don’t have it installed already, on the search bar, type in as Downloader and click on the search icon to find it.

Step 3: On the Downloader home, you have to provide the URL of the Sky Go apk to download it. Type in the URL https://bit.ly/2sOUxV2 (Updated link) and click on the Go option to proceed further.

Step 4: Scroll down the website and click Download APK (67.9 MB).

Step 5: Tap click here if the apk file is not downloaded.

Step 6: Wait for the server to download the Sky Go apk file on your Firestick.

Step 7: Click on the Next button to start the installation of Sky Go.

Step 8: Click on the Install button when the Next button changes to install.

Step 9: Wait until you see App installed on the Firestick. Click on the Open button.

Step 10: Open the app and enjoy streaming your favorite channels
Thanks for this comprehensive advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back