Don't worry about motorhome payload (1 Viewer)

haybal

Free Member
Aug 28, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi Funsters,

We have been to look at 2 MH's today at the same dealership, we were told by the sales man if we needed anything just ask, he then left us to look around which was great. Every now and then someone came to check we were ok and to see if we needed any help, then I asked a question about usable payload and was told " Don't worry about payload most people run over weight with the amount of gear they carry.
This wasn't the response I was expecting, so when I ask that if there was an accident and the MH was over weight could that not invalidate the insurance his reply was "probably not".

would appreciate your thoughts on this please, this is our first MH we are looking to buy and want it all above board so to speak.

Cheers,
Barry and Hayley

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When offered such advice from anyone selling me anything I ask them to put it in writing. This normally invokes a hesitation, as the thought process clunks through their minds, and a retraction.

This then means you can ask if they normally "lie" to which they with mock outrage say that they don't lie, so I ask them again, to put their statement in writing

I never end up getting anywhere of course, but it does ensure that the salesman/woman is very careful about what they say to me afterwards

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No harm in asking. I don't think that's too much. I did that with my last (new) van. It came in 15kg under the max stated unladen weight but could have been 285kg lighter if I'd been lucky. If a dealer wants to sell (and you are interested in buying) there should not be a problem getting it weighed.
Whatever weight you record, be sure you know what's on board at the time. How heavy was the driver, full were the tanks, number of batteries & gas cylinder types...
500kg of payload can disappear very quickly if a previous owner has gone overboard and added lots of 'tasty' accessories, so whatever is stated in a brochure should only be used as a very rough guide.
Being within the payload limit will give you peace of mind and better fuel consumption, but it would seem that there are many that don't bother or advise "do as I say". I'm not sure that I can believe the statement "80% are overweight". We seem to be surrounded by smoke 'n mirrors where practice and opinion are concerned.

I think that figure referred to 80% of motorhomes checked by DVSA(VOSA). Maybe they are well-experienced at spotting those motorhomes that look as though they are not riding well on the road and pulling only those. At Heathrow where they do checks on the western approach road to the Cargo area the check point is just after a roundabout, so an overweight vehicle might well be rolling too much on the suspension - a giveaway.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Reddave999

Free Member
Mar 24, 2018
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
As a Newbie myself I have noticed that the payload on a lot of the MHs doesn’t look great, can you get the MH modified to carry a greater load? And if so at what sort of cost? Please advise

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As a Newbie myself I have noticed that the payload on a lot of the MHs doesn’t look great, can you get the MH modified to carry a greater load? And if so at what sort of cost? Please advise

Simple answer is, probably, but depends on each model.b As to cost, it depends on what needs doing - you may get away with a simple paper exercise. But you may need uprated suspension, higher rated tyres. SvTech are the experts and can tell you about each specific vehicle and offer a guideline of costs, but you will need to have a specific van in mind.

Your first question to answer though is, if you are going above 3500kg do you have category C1 on your licence? Without that 3500kg is your limit.

Been lots of discussions on the forum - search for "Upgrade". There have been some comments within this thread too!

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

SV tech are the people to talk to for this information.

But it can add up if you need air assist suspension and up-rated tyres.

http://www.svtech.co.uk

Upvote 0

Reddave999

Free Member
Mar 24, 2018
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Thanks for that chaps, I have the C1 on my licence but looking at a PVC as parking anything bigger is an issue at the moment but thus far haven’t seen anything with a decent payload. I need the payload for kayaks, bikes and fishing gear and am looking to do some serious touring. Hopefully by the time I have visited the Peterborough show I will have more idea.

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
My Burstner was supposed to be 3155 unladen and 3500 GVW max ready to roll. After loading up the “normal” stuff for 2 for a weeks holiday, I thought a trip to a weigh bridge might be in order.
The result was 3650, 150 over. 345kg payload pitiful. Updated to 3850 now.

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I'm surprised that licence requirement has hardly been touched on. Many people are unaware that 3500 kgs and above require a C1 licence. I don't remember any dealer mentioning this when we first started looking for our motorhome. Between that and payload we could have been led into a dreadful situation. My background ensured I was well aware of these pitfalls, not everyone is. That is one of the big benefits of this forum. I am surprised but pleased at the number of long term members looking for their first motorhome.

I fell foul of that "trap" !!:(

As a tugger of 35 years when I reached the age of 70 I did not feel the need to renew my C1 category as it meant a new application form and a medical and I was never likely to exceed 7500 Kg gross train weight.

Roll on 3 years and the boss decided that we should become motorhomers - found the "ideal" van at a Lake district dealer and left fat & happy! :)

As it turned out we had a lot of problems with the van so decided to change it for a similar newer one - at a different dealership - the 1st question the sales person asked me was "have you still got a C1 category licence?" and went on to explain that the van I was looking at was over 3500 Kg as indeed was the one I already owned!!!!:eek:

I bought one with a 3500 Kg limit!!

Eventually I realized that I needed a better payload so I took my medical, passed OK and upgraded my van to 4000 Kg themax allowed without any mechanical changes! (y):)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The whole of this thread , the one thing that comes out is motorhomes are made with no thought of how they are going to be used, if the manufacturers and dealers send them out as right why would any purchaser think any different and then have to go to all the trouble and time to get them changed or even sell them at great loss when they pass 70.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But on the other hand with my experience of motorhomes, I just can't make out what some of you guys put in your van that gets you over 3500, it's supposed to be a holiday thing one up from a tent, not a four bedroom house.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Another little eg for folk to ponder...but it just adds strength to a view that not many motorhomes can come in under 3500kg if folk kit them out with the various extras that most now consider as essential..
Its a chausson 620 welcome... on a ford base..
I removed the gas locker and fitted a 44l underslung gas tank, an additional battery and two 140w solar pannels..
I bought a spare wheel and and a jack...
A ladder to access the roof and had a roof rack fitted to carry a kayak...
Sat dome and tv aeriel... and i carry a small portable genny.
I filled with water gas and diesel and off to the weighbridge..
Like the eg quoted above it came in at over 3600 kg...
And thats without the bike and kayak on the roof..

The chassis is capable of been plated at 4100kg with no modifications at all...which points to the manufacturer turning them out at 3500kgvw to appeal to the larger market with folk not having a c1 entitlement
I uprated to 4000kg...

Another point im aware of is someone who bought a motorhome plated at 3850kg and they didnt have a c1...
I thought the dealer would have been obliged to point out to the buyer that they would need their c1 to drive it ..apparently not..
Anyways just some more eg to add to the thread..
Andy

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We weighed our IH as soon as we got home.

Solar panel, bedding, awning, some food and full gas and diesel tank and it came up at almost dead three tons.

That gave us 500kg loading.

But to be honest I suspect we are a little overloaded on every trip.

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
But on the other hand with my experience of motorhomes, I just can't make out what some of you guys put in your van that gets you over 3500, it's supposed to be a holiday thing one up from a tent, not a four bedroom house.
I think it all depends on your start point, my previous MH an Adria had a payload of over 700kgs, so keeping under 3500 was a breeze. The Burstner has only 345 before 3500kgs.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
May be some want to enjoy it not suffer it. We all want different things.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I might be in a minority but I never considered 'payload' on any MH....... just bought it assuming that whatever I bought was 'fit for purpose'.............ignorance is sometimes bliss

The 3500 kg 'limit' means what?...............over and a C1 licence needed.........which again means what ?.............you don't need a medical if you drive anything less than that........... you could carry on forever

Regulations and rules don't always equal commonsense..........if I needed a medical at 70 for my C1 why not everyone?..........or is a 70 year-old driving a Range-Rover any safer ?

Upvote 0

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We have everything we own in our motorhome, didn't realise we were doing it wrong - sorry.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just started the process on my PVC...

SvTech charge £260 + VAT - same fee regardless of which option.
There is another guy who does it cheaper but there are mixed reviews*.

Your options will depend on your particular base vehicle & chassis. SvTech will advise what's possible free of charge.

My plate is 3500kg. Front 1850, rear 2000.
My options are:
  1. + 200kg overall, just a paper upgrade
  2. + another 150kg if air assist is fitted, to plated axle limits.
  3. + additional 250kg if larger tyres, increases rear axle maximum to 2250kg (up from 2000kg)
Air assist is £500+
Tyres £100+ each (only the rear two are absolutely necessary but getting all four corners & spare is most logical).

So most cost effective is option #1
Option #2 is least cost effective but you do gain improved ride & handling.
#3 If you really need to max the limits, and worth considering especially if tyres are due replacement.
Obviously you can choose #1, then #2, then #3 but you'll pay the upgrade fee each time.

I've chosen #2, max the axle weights, gain 350kg payload and better ride & handling.

Small bonus is that taxation reduces to £165.

Limits - licence has to be C1.
Some speed restrictions in Europe.
May not be (technically) allowed into some urban areas abroad.

Hope this is helpful.

*other guy is:
John Ruffles (JR Consultancy)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We have everything we own in our motorhome, didn't realise we were doing it wrong - sorry.[/
We have everything we own in our motorhome, didn't realise we were doing it wrong - sorry.
I think what chaser is referring to is a caravan which is for holidays, a motorhome is a way of life therefor is a home from home and carries everything a home does.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I might be in a minority but I never considered 'payload' on any MH....... just bought it assuming that whatever I bought was 'fit for purpose'.............ignorance is sometimes bliss

The 3500 kg 'limit' means what?...............over and a C1 licence needed.........which again means what ?.............you don't need a medical if you drive anything less than that........... you could carry on forever

Regulations and rules don't always equal commonsense..........if I needed a medical at 70 for my C1 why not everyone?..........or is a 70 year-old driving a Range-Rover any safer ?
Not sensible I agree but driving a vehicle over 3500 without C1 means that you're unlicensed and uninsured - pretty serious stuff. Another bit of nonsense: my C1 eye test meant I need to wear glasses. If I stay under 3500 I don't need to wear them. Obviously I need better eyesight to drive a heavier vehicle. Don't I?

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I might be in a minority but I never considered 'payload' on any MH...

No, you're not in the minority at all. There are hundreds of new motorhomers each year who don't have a scoobies about the motorhome they own or how to operate them within legal and safe boundaries. They are not likely to consider payload issues either.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Not sensible I agree but driving a vehicle over 3500 without C1 means that you're unlicensed and uninsured - pretty serious stuff. Another bit of nonsense: my C1 eye test meant I need to wear glasses. If I stay under 3500 I don't need to wear them. Obviously I need better eyesight to drive a heavier vehicle. Don't I?
I know what you mean, friend of ours lost an eye so no longer could drive his 10 ton lorry so he brought a 7.5 ton and was ok !

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Everyone has to renew their licence at 70.

Those not needing a C1 licence have to make a declaration of any medical conditions.

For a C1 licence a doctor medical must be undertaken.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004

If the vehicle is plated at 3500kgs then I don’t think that is the case , you would only be guilty of driving an overweight vehicle.
As far as insurance is concerned , time would pass between accident and claim and weight could probably not be accurately assessed.
This I believe has been stated on previous threads on the subject.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It's down to you whether you are legal on the road not the dealer. Many years ago a guy took a dealer to court for selling him an RV over the max width allowed on UK roads, he lost, it finished up in the court of appeal, he lost and the legal costs bankrupted him.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back