Don't worry about motorhome payload (2 Viewers)

haybal

Free Member
Aug 28, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hi Funsters,

We have been to look at 2 MH's today at the same dealership, we were told by the sales man if we needed anything just ask, he then left us to look around which was great. Every now and then someone came to check we were ok and to see if we needed any help, then I asked a question about usable payload and was told " Don't worry about payload most people run over weight with the amount of gear they carry.
This wasn't the response I was expecting, so when I ask that if there was an accident and the MH was over weight could that not invalidate the insurance his reply was "probably not".

would appreciate your thoughts on this please, this is our first MH we are looking to buy and want it all above board so to speak.

Cheers,
Barry and Hayley

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
A lot of motorhomers do run overweight and a lot of them don't realise they are doing so.
Get a 3.5t motorhome empty at say 3.1t stick two adults and two kids in, fuel and water, all the gear and your likely overweight.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Many Motorhome owners run their vans over-weight, most likely without knowing it. But it is important; and to this end I am trying to organise a portable weighbridge at some rallies this year.

While what the salesman said is likely to be true, he certainly shouldn’t be encouraging such dangerous unlawful practice. A lot of motor dealers rewind odometers. I’m sure because plenty do it, he thinks that’s alright too. :). Avoid.

Please review your experiences here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/reviews/categories/motorhome-dealer-reviews.1/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
You should certainly know about payload and not exceed your permissible total weight,and axle weights. And,yes,if you have an accident and are found to be overweight,your insurers may not pay,especially if being overweight has been a contributory factor in the accident.
It seems that many people do exceed their limits and don’t give a fig,as with the dealers.

Upvote 0

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
would appreciate your thoughts on this please

wtf.jpg

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Stay legal and stay safe would be my advice. it's very easy to overload and be overweight and very dangerous too. Payloads are given for very good reasons so follow them. I'm sure you'd find your insurance company would not pay out. It's amazing how little Stuff you need or actually use when you're away. When you buy the right vehicle, do what we do and load it up and visit your local weighbridge. They're very helpful.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have one of these things that weigh your van one wheel at a time and are well under , we travel very light, but my son who is a mechanic and usually particular about keeping his van right won't even use it to try, he says he doesn't want to know, and save the worry if he knew he was over, a couple of mates say they aren't bothered either and don't know how heavy they are running.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't know what % it would be, but from our many years in caravans and now MH's I am of the opinion that the vast majority of sellers of these leisure vehicles will never have used one in anger, maybe only ever done the odd test dive and maybe not even that, certainly not slept in one or made up the beds, filled / emptied water etc

Even brand specific car salesmen don't seem to know their products in enough detail for me, MH's and especially used, not their own models would take a lot of learning in fairness, but they really should find out not just make something stupid up

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think most dealers would say the same thing, what other choice have they got when some manufacturers send out new vans that are already over weight when loaded with the simple basics.

no they wouldn't.. as I said.. go to another dealer..

if they have that attitude I wouldn't trust them .. and plenty of new vans have good payload.. that's why we have forums to help people.. not just to accept that they will be running both illegal and more importantly unsafe.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
no they wouldn't.. as I said.. go to another dealer..

if they have that attitude I wouldn't trust them .. and plenty of new vans have good payload.. that's why we have forums to help people.. not just to accept that they will be running both illegal and more importantly unsafe.
So what would you do about the vans that are overweight.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I don't know what % it would be, but from our many years in caravans and now MH's I am of the opinion that the vast majority of sellers of these leisure vehicles will never have used one in anger, maybe only ever done the odd test dive and maybe not even that, certainly not slept in one or made up the beds, filled / emptied water etc

Even brand specific car salesmen don't seem to know their products in enough detail for me, MH's and especially used, not their own models would take a lot of learning in fairness, but they really should find out not just make something stupid up
Why would they . They are just salesman who want your money by hook or by crook. Simples.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

haybal

Free Member
Aug 28, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I must admit I was a bit disappointed, 4 hr round trip to a dealer that has won awards for customer satisfaction and are a family business. Both MH's were ideal for us, but we are a bit unsure of dealing with this company now.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I must admit I was a bit disappointed, 4 hr round trip to a dealer that has won awards for customer satisfaction and are a family business. Both MH's were ideal for us, but we are a bit unsure of dealing with this company now.
Why not ask them to weigh them before you buy or you are not interested.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So what would you do about the vans that are overweight.

if I was aware.. keep well back.. tyre blowouts etc can have an impact on anyone close

The DVSA do the roadside checks..

further reading .. and if you Google there is plenty of info on Gov websites

Overweight Motorhomes – How To Avoid This Too Common Problem
October 23, 2009 Motorhome Planet 4 Comments 3500kg, axle weight, gross weight, motorhomes, overweight, weighbridge

80% Of Motorhomes Overweight

A recent campaign of roadside checks by VOSA found that 80% of the motorhomes they stopped were overweight. Such roadside checks are normally applied to lorries but can be applied to any type of vehicle, including motorhomes and caravans. If your motorhome is found to be overweight, you are likely to be fined and prohibited from moving on until your vehicle is no longer overweight – even if you have to dump possessions by the roadside.

In addition, overweight vehicles can be dangerous – handling and braking can be badly affected and tyre blowouts may be more likely.

https://www.motorhomeplanet.co.uk/archives/1756

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We went to look at a private sale 6 berth for a friend. Alarm bells rang when he told us it was 3.2 ton. We explained to seller it possibly would be overweight with a family of 6 but would he be prepred to take it to a weighbridge so we could work out the payload. He said went away with 6 big mates all their gear & beer etc went up hill no bother so weight would be fine. Left it for someone else to buy although it was a nice van & in very clean condition.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
If the van is second hand I wouldn't part with any cash unless a weighbridge certificate was forthcoming. Absolutely key that people unstand payload or lack of.

Great shout for raising it here and trusting your instincts!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just out of interest has anyone looking to buy or change made a shortlist of 3.5 tonnes models with a good payload ?

You could Have added

"....and built with good quality materials, and which can carry full tanks for wildcamping(if that is one's wish)"

I think the list might be very short.

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Ask them to put it in writing and see what they say....
Cheers, Dave(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

haybal

Free Member
Aug 28, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Thankyou all for you thoughts/suggestions so far, we didn't realise buying a MH is such a mine field.
We have learnt quite a bit so far from this forum, but we have soooo much more to learn.
A big thankyou to all that contribute their advise and knowledge to help beginners like ourselves.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Good luck. If you haven’t already done so,download Jim’s free guide about buying a Moho.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back