Beware of what you wish for - Canary Islands (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
They just might be. However, the quest for a better class of tourist is for the birds. Tenerife is essentially a lump of rock covered in uninspiring hotels and cheap bars aimed at UK & German visitors looking to replicate whatever they get up to at home but in the sunshine. Apart from vulcanologists, I’m not sure what cultural highlights there are? Maybe they need a branch of Waitrose or Booths?
You clearly haven't seen it all. Vast parts of the north are really beautiful. Lovely fishing villages. Lush forests and vineyards as well as a stunning coastline.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You clearly haven't seen it all. Vast parts of the north are really beautiful. Lovely fishing villages. Lush forests and vineyards as well as a stunning coastline.
But presumably bringing relatively little in terms of income from tourism compared to the much more developed south

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

That was the original tourism before they built Tenerife South airport which opened in 1978.

The South airport attracted the mass tourism which expanded the areas in the south which has more sunshine.

The North airport has few direct flights, usually necessitating a transfer either via mainland Spain or another Canary Island.

We know La Palma, Gran Canaria and La Gomera and will one day visit the North of Tenerife, but never the South.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
They just might be. However, the quest for a better class of tourist is for the birds. Tenerife is essentially a lump of rock covered in uninspiring hotels and cheap bars aimed at UK & German visitors looking to replicate whatever they get up to at home but in the sunshine. Apart from vulcanologists, I’m not sure what cultural highlights there are? Maybe they need a branch of Waitrose or Booths?
Have you been and looked around?

Or just waffling?

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
They should try living in a cold part of Northern Britain where the industry has died and no one comes to spend one bean on tourism and then complain about making zillions from visitors .

True, but even here in East Cleveland, a hardy ex iron ore mining area we get locals whinging on Facebook about tourists in Saltburn, Skinningrove, etc.

Some people just want to moan, maon and moan again.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.

But isn't the folly of promoting the unspoiled parts that in a few years there will be protests about over tourism there?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
True, but even here in East Cleveland, a hardy ex iron ore mining area we get locals whinging on Facebook about tourists in Saltburn, Skinningrove, etc.

Some people just want to moan, maon and moan again.
The thing is that around us the landscape was really shaped by industry mining, farming,iron smelting, fishing etc but now if anyone tries to develop any industry in the north Yorkshire moors national park they seem pretty much against it. In Whitby the biggest industry by far is tourism I often say to people would you rather Whitby was like Redcar where the industry has largely gone and there doesn't seem to be a lot left. Maybe as a newcomer I ought to keep quiet!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Small town up the road road has become a big mountain bike centre
It keeps some cafes takeaways and pubs going along with accommodation.
There used to be a couple of mills that in there time were big employers but long gone.
There is a minority that spend there days moaning about the biking and that the town is not liked it used to be.
Without the biking/tourists there would be nothing left in the place.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Some moaning people in the high rise above Tiki Bar in Benidorm tried to get it shut down a few years ago because of the music during the daytime (was quiet at night and even during the day it's not that loud) just checked on Facebook, it's still open 👍
People have got to accept they are a minority sometimes.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Similar to residents that live near Oulton Park complaining about engine noise , HELLO you bought a house next to a motorsport race track , HELLO ! 🤣🤣🤣

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Similar to residents that live near Oulton Park complaining about engine noise , HELLO you bought a house next to a motorsport race track , HELLO ! 🤣🤣🤣
The same thing happened at Croft circuit. The local lady won the case. It turned out that that the lady was the owner's recently divorced wife ;)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
But presumably bringing relatively little in terms of income from tourism compared to the much more developed south
There is quite a bit of tourist activity and the city of Puerto de la Cruz of course

Its not full of British Chavs though. Only a couple of small nightclubs and loads of great restaurants. Restaurants that are frequented by a good healthy mix of Europeans, local Spanish, Spanish tourists and the odd person form the Isle of Man (Me!)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
There is quite a bit of tourist activity and the city of Puerto de la Cruz of course

Its not full of British Chavs though. ……… and the odd person form the Isle of Man (Me!)
Exactly how “odd” are you?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Another, more detailed article here..

:)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
Why the need to have millions in banks etc that you will never ever need. That money could better the lives of a lot of people.
Correct me if I'm wrong but what do the banks then do with that money? Don't they lend it out to people to make lives better? ie mortgages, business loans etc?

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Isn't all this an unintended first world problem?

General wealth in society means we all want similar luxuries and so many can afford them, everywhere is becoming an oversubscribed hot-spot...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Correct me if I'm wrong but what do the banks then do with that money? Don't they lend it out to people to make lives better? ie mortgages, business loans etc?
Not really. I'd rather return to a time when there wasn't mortgages . Before greedy people claimed and stole everything. But I'm aware I'm in the minority. There's no ethical way to become a billionaire.. and the jury is still out on millionaires. At somepoint it will come to a head , you can see the rumblings going that way already I think there will be worldwide civil war before there's a next world war.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It's not very nice now ....for millions of people
Assuming those "millions" consider material wealth/ownership important in their lives...

I do, but only where it allows me to pursue my interests, outside of that, I have no interest in other people's wealth

I agree we're heading for a crash, but only because the modern penchant for green-eyed-monster-ism is driving us into the arms of communism/marxism...

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I speak to a lot of workers here and their main complaint is lack of affordable housing.
Too many folk turning long term lets into holiday homes pushing up demand and prices of dwellings.
Same in Shetland, any houses that come on the market, if you can see the sea, it ends up on Airbnb thus no local can live in it, so it’s a fairly universal issue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back