Beware of what you wish for - Canary Islands (3 Viewers)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you are referring to immigration and tourism there is a vast difference. Tourists go home.
They do but the vast majority of migrants are through our own immigration scheme into places short of staff to help our economy. In just the same way that some people in places where the economy relies on tourists don't like tourists some people in a country that invites people to come to work ( through our own immigration scheme) don't like immigrants! I think both are very strange attitudes. The people coming here not through our immigration scheme are not invited but are generally used as scapegoats for anything not properly managed.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We have experienced this issue re tourists up here in northern Spain. Some people see tourism as a capitalist creation, and are seeing the wealthy taking over and/ or abusing the infrastructure amongst other things andIs generally the young people taking action. I only know this as we stopped at an Aire that said British government home so we left. I then spoke to some people in other villages we stopped in and all said above was what was causing this change in attitude, apparently it's all over Spain, the young don't want tourists.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have experienced this issue re tourists up here in northern Spain. Some people see tourism as a capitalist creation, and are seeing the wealthy taking over and/ or abusing the infrastructure amongst other things andIs generally the young people taking action. I only know this as we stopped at an Aire that said British government home so we left. I then spoke to some people in other villages we stopped in and all said above was what was causing this change in attitude, apparently it's all over Spain, the young don't want tourists.

Please explain that phrase.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Please explain that phrase.
Think it spell checked from "British go home"??

Now what does their dislike of overwhelming numbers of foreigners remind you of?
Nothing what they are complaining about spend money not become a drain on resources & pothole repairs.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I think it's the same in a lot of tourist areas it certainly is around here (Whitby). There's a recognition that the area needs tourism but equally that the popularity reduces the housing available to locals and drives prices a lot higher than nearby areas that have less tourism. I suspect the same is due in most areas popular with tourists. It's the same in Cornwall certainly a lot of locals working in low paid jobs in hospitality unable to afford to buy or rent in desirable areas. I'm not really sure what the answer is.

Yes, there are a number of different aspects to this, some trivial like folks being offended by the locals labelling them ‘grockles’, ‘emmets’ or whatever, and other more significant issues where tourism materially impacts the living standards for some locals. In the case of the latter there have been many initiatives to balance the situation, but they’re all flawed in some way - money talks. I think any economy that relies heavily on tourism will probably have some level of resentment to the hand that feeds them. The Canarian discontents have a tough and probably futile fight on their hands.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes, there are a number of different aspects to this, some trivial like folks being offended by the locals labelling them ‘grockles’, ‘emmets’ or whatever, and other more significant issues where tourism materially impacts the living standards for some locals. In the case of the latter there have been many initiatives to balance the situation, but they’re all flawed in some way - money talks. I think any economy that relies heavily on tourism will probably have some level of resentment to the hand that feeds them. The Canarian discontents have a tough and probably futile fight on their hands.
I suppose as the visitors don't have a vote it's down to the locally elected politicians to balance between the views

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It seems to me that their understandable main concern is to restrict the development of hotels and the volume of tourists to a sustainable level.
I speak to a lot of workers here and their main complaint is lack of affordable housing.
Too many folk turning long term lets into holiday homes pushing up demand and prices of dwellings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
No. They have valid points and the Govt here is fair.

I’m sure they have valid points. You may also be unusually blessed with honest & fair politicians, but unless the Canaries are some sort of utopia, business interests will always prevail where there’s big money to be made. In Cornwall there have been various attempts at balancing the social & economic impact of tourism (and its bedfellow second homes) but there’s always a work-around for those with money and influence. Legal appeals to grind down the resources of parish council planning committees is a common tactic. The notion of local people producing local development plans to provide affordable homes and protect areas of outstanding natural beauty is a laugh.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I’m sure they have valid points. You may also be unusually blessed with honest & fair politicians, but unless the Canaries are some sort of utopia, business interests will always prevail where there’s big money to be made. In Cornwall there have been various attempts at balancing the social & economic impact of tourism (and its bedfellow second homes) but there’s always a work-around for those with money and influence. Legal appeals to grind down the resources of parish council planning committees is a common tactic. The notion of local people producing local development plans to provide affordable homes and protect areas of outstanding natural beauty is a laugh.
Thankfully, this is not the UK

You have no idea what the problems are here. Just what you read in the press.

Don't judge us by UK standards.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Let's face it. If Spain had the same weather as Scotland, no one would go there. It has zero to recommend it, practically zero culture, unless you call killing bulls culture. If smoking were an art form then they might be looked upon as cultured. Everyone dresses like they shopped at a 1970's C&A store. Spain doesn't even have a breakfast preferring horrible muddy coffee and a fag. The tutting and chin pointing, and everywhere the faint smell of sewage. Weather is the only thing it has going for it. I go only for sun. Hopefully global warming will sort that out soon and we won't need a ferry to find some.
Thank goodness there is the oasis of Benidorm. A beautiful resort with great British culture AND great weather. Paradise 🌴😎

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's the same problem everywhere really not just tourist areas ...but its probably worse in tourist areas.
The younger generation can't get homes because the prices are being pushed up.

I get it , the Scottish Islands and Highlands have had the problem for decades , people paying over the odds for second homes etc meaning those growing up there can't afford the prices. And the wages haven't increased in line with it.

I'd hate to be a younger person trying to rent or get on the property ladder these days.

Tourism unfortunately does cause a lot of problems the world over. Not sure what the answer is but it will only get worse.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
The answer my friends is to ban all forms of transport except horses and shanks pony. Now that's a blast from the past. They say things go in circles.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Lots of places have banned tourists in the past.
Look how they prospered during covid?
The towns around us that still have shops etc are the ones that are attractive to tourists.
It's what keeps cafes shops and pubs ticking over.
If only they would bugger off when I want to use them :rolleyes:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No doubt like other places foreigners buying up properties and pushing prices up so locals cannot afford anything!!
Seems to be a pattern in most popular places.
I've always said people with too much money are the root of all problems.

And if you think about it it's true. If you have too much disposal income then you're more inclined to pay more than what something is worth.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I've always said people with too much money are the root of all problems.
Agreed mostly but how do you define too much money? To me someone who is self made and has a few £m in the bank I’m ok with but it’s the billionaires I don’t think is right, when you see them flaunt their 6 houses around the world and multi million pound watches!! Who needs all that??

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
ve aI'lways said people with too much money are the root of all problems.

And if you think about it it's true. If you have too much disposal income then you're more inclined to pay more than what something is worth.

Like people who can swan around EU for 90 days, then Asia for 90 days and then EU for another 90 days? :LOL:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Agreed mostly but how do you define too much money? To me someone who is self made and has a few £m in the bank I’m ok with but it’s the billionaires I don’t think is right, when you see them flaunt their 6 houses around the world and multi million pound watches!! Who needs all that??
Yeah that's always the problem , where do you draw the line.

Personally and yes it's just my opinion but there's no billionaire and probably many millionaires who didn't make their money off the hard work of others that probably got paid the minimum they could get away with.

Why the need to have millions in banks etc that you will never ever need. That money could better the lives of a lot of people.

It's also a bit of a wildcard but I'd actually ban second homes. I'd make it law worldwide that one person can only own one house. If you want to live somewhere else you have to rent it or sell the one you have. 😁 not sure how that would work either but homes should not be used as a business.

It's the Same as how every bit land has been claimed or stolen by councils , trusts etc everywhere. At somepoint in history something changed from when most people just had what they needed to now everyone wanting as much as they can get ...often at the expense of everyone else.

Too much greed in the world

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
They should try living in a cold part of Northern Britain where the industry has died and no one comes to spend one bean on tourism and then complain about making zillions from visitors .

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
But flip flops ? Really? Like brits are the only people who wear flip flops 🤣

They just might be. However, the quest for a better class of tourist is for the birds. Tenerife is essentially a lump of rock covered in uninspiring hotels and cheap bars aimed at UK & German visitors looking to replicate whatever they get up to at home but in the sunshine. Apart from vulcanologists, I’m not sure what cultural highlights there are? Maybe they need a branch of Waitrose or Booths?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back