Beware of what you wish for - Canary Islands (3 Viewers)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I mentioned similar here.

Cant win

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think, recent Statistics mentioned Benidorm gets 52% of its business from Brits !

If just 1/2 decided to go elsewhere. Turkey, Egypt, North Africa etc. That would be a massive loss of tourism.

Places like Alicante, Valencia and Barcelona are hot Spots for Americans and other nationalities who are re-locating there.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I see the locals are kicking off again today about the downsides of mass tourism. Lanzarote & Fuerteventura are two of my favourite spots in the winter months. However, folks won’t go where they’re not welcome so I hope they’re not shooting themselves in the foot. As the saying goes….you can’t have your cake and eat it. Tourism is 34% of the economy and accounts for 40% of all jobs. I live in Cornwall and understand the ambivalence to tourism but they need to make a choice. The notion that you can impose NIMBY style controls on tourism without taking a big hit economically is a bit niave.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I see the locals are kicking off again today about the downsides of mass tourism. Lanzarote & Fuerteventura are two of my favourite spots in the winter months. However, folks won’t go where they’re not welcome so I hope they’re not shooting themselves in the foot. As the saying goes….you can’t have your cake and eat it. Tourism is 34% of the economy and accounts for 40% of all jobs. I live in Cornwall and understand the ambivalence to tourism but they need to make a choice. The notion that you can impose NIMBY style controls on tourism without taking a big hit economically is a bit niave.
They were happy to see me in Lanzarote during Covid when businesses were struggling to stay afloat.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Over exaggerated according to the locals

"Absolute krapp. The protest is tiny and consists of six tents, a foldup table and some hippy-types collecting signatures. A similar protest in Tenerife's La Laguna (six miles from the capital Santa Cruz) was also laughed off in their local paper El Dia.
Their only sensible point is the lack of social housing by the krapp Cabildo (local canary government). In the UK, social housing is at 7% - close to the European average. Spain is 3% and it really does show here."

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I sympathise with their sentiments but if tourism stops there will be massive unemployment.

I don't think they want to stop tourism. They want to limit it in certain areas as the amount of building is just getting too much.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I think, recent Statistics mentioned Benidorm gets 52% of its business from Brits !

If just 1/2 decided to go elsewhere. Turkey, Egypt, North Africa etc. That would be a massive loss of tourism.

Places like Alicante, Valencia and Barcelona are hot Spots for Americans and other nationalities who are re-locating there.
We have been in Benidorm for the last week and apart from visiting the medical centre we have hardly heard any language except English. Gwen broke her ankle in a fall a week ago and needed an operation to insert a plate screws and pins. No alcohol was involved in the accident! Spanish hospital is a culture shock and care is very different to what we are used to. But alls well that ends well

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout

"Absolute krapp. The protest is tiny and consists of six tents, a foldup table and some hippy-types collecting signatures. A similar protest in Tenerife's La Laguna (six miles from the capital Santa Cruz) was also laughed off in their local paper El Dia.
Their only sensible point is the lack of social housing by the krapp Cabildo (local canary government). In the UK, social housing is at 7% - close to the European average. Spain is 3% and it really does show here."
Really? Just watched a CH4 report with literally thousands marching in protest. Not sure which island it was on.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Yeah, right. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1713677632849.png

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it's the same in a lot of tourist areas it certainly is around here (Whitby). There's a recognition that the area needs tourism but equally that the popularity reduces the housing available to locals and drives prices a lot higher than nearby areas that have less tourism. I suspect the same is due in most areas popular with tourists. It's the same in Cornwall certainly a lot of locals working in low paid jobs in hospitality unable to afford to buy or rent in desirable areas. I'm not really sure what the answer is.

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
Let's face it. If Spain had the same weather as Scotland, no one would go there. It has zero to recommend it, practically zero culture, unless you call killing bulls culture. If smoking were an art form then they might be looked upon as cultured. Everyone dresses like they shopped at a 1970's C&A store. Spain doesn't even have a breakfast preferring horrible muddy coffee and a fag. The tutting and chin pointing, and everywhere the faint smell of sewage. Weather is the only thing it has going for it. I go only for sun. Hopefully global warming will sort that out soon and we won't need a ferry to find some.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Let's face it. If Spain had the same weather as Scotland, no one would go there. It has zero to recommend it, practically zero culture, unless you call killing bulls culture. If smoking were an art form then they might be looked upon as cultured. Everyone dresses like they shopped at a 1970's C&A store. Spain doesn't even have a breakfast preferring horrible muddy coffee and a fag. The tutting and chin pointing, and everywhere the faint smell of sewage. Weather is the only thing it has going for it. I go only for sun. Hopefully global warming will sort that out soon and we won't need a ferry to find some.
The smell of sewage is the best part for me.

My wife has a very sensitive sense of smell and she has a bit of a fit if she can smell drains or toilets.

It is a source of much amusement to me.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Odd to come from a country with numerous wetherspoons and look at a country with thousands of tapas bars as inferior!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Gwen broke her ankle in a fall a week ago and needed an operation to insert a plate screws and pins. .....Spanish hospital is a culture shock and care is very different to what we are used to.
I'm not sure whether you mean it's better than or not so good as in U.K............. :unsure:

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Really? Just watched a CH4 report with literally thousands marching in protest. Not sure which island it was on.

Gran Canaria I believe and yes the protest was significant.

And yes I am happy to stay away and assist with their shooting themselves in their feet.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Now what does their dislike of overwhelming numbers of foreigners remind you of?
It's sadly human nature to some extent. People in Whitby who complain about too many visitors have really odd ( to me)) attitudes. They don't like visitors staying near where they live as they say they're noisy but I suspect then go away themselves and are noisy near other people. I suspect there's a bit of a dislike of people not local let alone from other countries!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Oh God. The usual false news and knee jerk reaction :(

NOBODY is against tourists.

Read this for the truth...

Yesterday’s protests about the effects of mass tourism on the Canary Islands have received wide coverage in the British and international press.
positive-coverage-of-demonstration.jpg

The BBC, Sky, Reuters, the Guardian, the Independent, Euronews and several other organisations all reported on the protests, and coverage was generally fair, stressing that the marches were not against tourists or tourism, but the effects of the island’s current model of mass tourism.

Even the Mail Online produced a balanced report, although it did not miss the opportunity to reprint photos of the rare examples of anti-tourist graffiti that popped up in Tenerife a few months ago.

The Daily Telegraph published a strongly supportive opinion piece by senior travel writer, Greg Dickinson which described the protests as “entirely sensible”.

Dickinson wrote that tourists can also “be part of the solution rather than the problem.”

“What this looks like, in practice,” he wrote “is staying with locally owned hotels. It is eating in independent, family run restaurants and cafes. It is tipping the waiter. It is travelling in the shoulder season, where possible. It is limiting our water usage while on holiday. It is using one towel. It is behaving in a way that we would behave in our home town (and, hell, maybe even calling out those who aren’t doing so).”

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back