BBQ season. Gas, electric or charcoal? (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
If you want to bbq then it's got to be charcoal (pref lump wood), wood or at a push briquettes. Everything else is grilling, not bbqing in my book.

Having got that out, many sites here and places in the sticks you're not allowed open fires in summer due to the fire risk. So we use a Cadac plugged into an external gas point most of the time, but with my added lava rock 'hack' which gives a better taste due to the fat burning off and makes cleaning a doddle. Still using the same lava rocks 4 years later - I just tip them out the last night before we move onto the earth then next morning when they're cold pop them into screw top container. See https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cadac-lava-rocks.206724/ ffi.

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
If you want to bbq then it's got to be charcoal (pref lump wood), wood or at a push briquettes. Everything else is grilling, not bbqing in my book.

Having got that out, many sites here and places in the sticks you're not allowed open fires in summer due to the fire risk. So we use a Cadac plugged into an external gas point most of the time, but with my added lava rock 'hack' which gives a better taste due to the fat burning off and makes cleaning a doddle. Still using the same lava rocks 4 years later - I just tip them out the last night before we move onto the earth then next morning when they're cold pop them into screw top container. See https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cadac-lava-rocks.206724/ ffi.
I missed that lava rock thread! I’m off to order some now for my Cadac! 👍

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
This is the best option in our humble opinion,

Absolutely, or one of the cheaper copy versions.
I have one from Leisurewize called a
“ Yoga Grill”.
Were about £65 and absolutely brill with a cast iron grill plate.
Piece if cake to use and clean!
AND, is completely self-contained with the lumpwood charcoal held in a cylindrical mesh tube on the inside, and a removable battery powered fan for assisting in getting the charcoals going.
Also is cold to touch on the outside when full lit.
😊

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Another vote for Weber Q series. Charcoal whilst out on the road is just too much hassle and bbqing over a gas flame is next best thing.

Sep 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
For many years when caravanning I used to take a Weber Q200 - which was rather large and heavy. Then with a new caravan without large opening front window I switched to a Weber Q1100 which is brilliant, but still relatively heavy. Last year I watched a guy on site near us use a Cobb for all meals, breakfast lunch and dinner. I have purchased one for my PVC as it is considerably lighter and smaller than the Q1100 - even with all the fancy accessories I purchased. I've used it once in the garden and was extremely impressed with the speed at which it heated up, its cooking ability and the fact it remains cool on the base so can be used on a table etc. I'm looking forward to trying out all my different cooking options (beer can chicken/pizza/paella) when on holiday soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a suitcase gas cannister one, like the suitcase gas stoves (which we also have) but wider with a rack top. We have a griddle pan for use on them too.

3 in 1 bbq stove grill.jpg

gas stove.jpg

Cadacs are okay but they are just glorified griddles IMV so you might as well get one of the above and plonk a griddle pan on, much easier to stow and clean too and of course you can use it for non-BBQ stuff (eg boiling a kettle when waiting for a ferry after your gas has been turned off).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Small van small solution. Get a small table top gas ring with disposable cartridges and a griddle pan. Our pan is an oversized oblong shape so one end is for cooking(frying) and the other end to keep cooked warm.
Never going to match charcoal for taste or smell but u can cook outside if that's your thing.
Just make sure that the 'hanging' end of the pan is over the side away from the canister housing otherwise you could overheat it and cause it to explode.

OP
OP
Wessexwanderer
Nov 8, 2022
Winchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 540
Exp
We recently bought one of these:

Broken Link Removed

Not used in anger yet - although that will be rectified over Easter. I was pretty impressed with it as I unboxed and it came in a bit cheaper than the Cadac.

As it is a gas grill, I am going to try liquid smoke (bought from Amazon) to try and replicate the bbq taste. I'll post again once we've cooked on it !
Liquid smoke?! Do let us know how it goes !

OP
OP
Wessexwanderer
Nov 8, 2022
Winchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 540
Exp
We have a suitcase gas cannister one, like the suitcase gas stoves (which we also have) but wider with a rack top. We have a griddle pan for use on them too.

View attachment 730594

View attachment 730595

Cadacs are okay but they are just glorified griddles IMV so you might as well get one of the above and plonk a griddle pan on, much easier to stow and clean too and of course you can use it for non-BBQ stuff (eg boiling a kettle when waiting for a ferry after your gas has been turned off).
I like the look of his one - is it supplied with hte griddle pan?

OP
OP
Wessexwanderer
Nov 8, 2022
Winchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 540
Exp
Another vote for the Cadac range.
We have the Safari 2
Superb bit of kit. (But is an outdoor grill, not a true BBQ)
We never fry anything inside our van. Not even an egg. (Smell, danger of fire and sticky residue)
We always use the Cadac outside for all frying and BBQ'ing .

What you could also get is the Snow Peak fire pit
They are expensive, but well worth it, both my brother and sister have one.
(Make sure you get the large one, the small one is just for picnic use)

They can be used as a log fire pit (without burning the grass), as a charcoal or coal BBQ if you add the grill on top, and as a place to boil a kettle or even roast meat on a spit.
They fold completely flat. and take seconds to erect.
Best of all as they are an inverted pyramid the fire keeps concentrated as it burns lower, so that you have very little ash and it will keep giving out heat to the very end.
Firepit looks good but a bit pricey for me!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We got a Cadac 2 cook 2 pro. Perfect for us 2. Did have a Cadac safari chef, but found that too big, too messy, and took up too much room.

Craig

Keith and Jules

Free Member
Jul 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 100
Our 6m moho is fairly short of storage space so I'm looking for alternatives! Can't stand the taste from disposable bbqs, can't be bothered to keep cleaning out a " proper" charcoal bbq so a small electric or gas (canister - no extl bbq point in this moho!) Seems like a good idea. Pros, cons , experiences please!
Check out what camping Gaz have to offer 👍 more affordable that cadac, pack into a small bag

Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
we use a gas BBQ as in the height of summer in NZ there are a lot of places that can be a high fire risk, so charcoal and such is not alowed due to the possibility of flying embers
(when freedom camping)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have a Cadac 2 Go which is superb for 2. It’s Gad though not charcoal. We bought a Cobb this year and the food was great but the main issue was that - if cooking in the evening - it wasn’t cool enough to pack away for several hours which isn’t always ideal.

Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
Just ordered one, at the price we'll throw it away if it's no good

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Unless you are always on Hook Up, or have a decent inverter with loads of battery capacity electric will be out. A gas thingy isn't really a BBQ ;) It's more of an outdoor grill.

I use a Cadac Safari Chef (there will be many detractors from Cadac, but it works for me), which can be floor standing or in my case I put on a table. It gets used most trips out. Plenty big enough cooking area for a couple. Two versions High Pressure and Low Pressure. HP the cannister screws directly into the underside valve. LP you have a hose and regulator into which the cannister can screw, but alternatively the hose could connect to the BBQ point you don't have. As standard a grill plate or flat plancha is used, and there is a lid useable as a paella pan. Also a stand so you could boil a pot or kettle. I also acquired a 50/50 grill/plancha which is ideal for the morning bacon and eggs breakfast. I find it works well, and is stored in a circular bag that will get into the under bench seat of my smaller than yours PVC. But, it is tempermental in windy weather so I often deploy a windbreak. After a couple of years it is getting more challenging to clean the grill plates, certainly not the easy wipe implied by some videos.

There are outdoor gas stoves that use cylindrical cartridges. Some have fittings for a grill, rather than as a stove. I suspect those are challenging to clean. Also limited with the size of the pot or pan so it doesn't overhang the cartridge area. But advantage is these can be very cheap and quite compact. I used a couple regularly when I had a tent, before upgrading to the Cadac.
Have to agree that this cadac is very good , use it all the time and in fact have just taken out the charcoal bbq from the moho as we always favour the cadac . Never had a problem cleaning it (I think that’s a case of how you cook) and always comes up sparking . In high winds I wrap tin foil around the bbq which keeps the heat it - bit of a faff but then , we are camping .

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Cobb is the choice for whole chicken or joints of meat if charcoal is allowed. The Napoleon TravelQ 285PRO on the scissor cart is used all the time with a griddle in one side and a plancha in the other - does sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and eggs all in one go.

IMG_9402.jpeg

IMG_9315.jpeg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Lotus Grill look-alike available from ebay for £19 if anyone's after one.
Same as the Leisurewize Yoga model that I have. Brilliant bit of kit.
HERE.
We've got the Aldi equivalent but I think it still cost more than that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back