Anyone got confirmed news Re Fiat Ducato build delays (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I am awaiting a new Adria PVC which should have been here last October but keeps on getting put back on a monthly basis. Now end of June and I don’t believe it will come then if I’m honest. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it finally arrived in 2023!

Trying to get any information of the true delay situation from the manufacturers, let alone information that you can trust to be correct and up to date, I am finding impossible. Nothing on the news for Europe but some in America Re shifts being closed at factories there from 2 to 1 a day, but that is about Stellantis car plants I believe.

The delays all appear to revolve around Stellantis production in Italy at their Sevel plant but still none the wiser as to specifically why. Saying the Pandemic repeatedly does not do it for me now.

I would just like to get some honest understanding of why the monthly delays continue and I think all Fiat based manufacturers are pretty much the same.

I wanted to start this Thread for comments from anyone who has got confirmed news or information, rather than rumours and speculation, although if my experiences are the same as others no one will be able to confidently add an update, but here goes 👍🏻

Regards in advance if anyone can add anything

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I seem to remember a conversation you, Dave and I had at Stratford on Avon as to wether this deal would would be honoured
back in June and am sorry to say I was right unfortunately,
but gives me No pleasure in saying this, But you owe me a pint as that was the bet.
I do hope you find another van for a similar deal.👍
Only went tits up after Simon left.
Seems a big compromise/ backwards step Lenny going for RHD and a big no no for me would be the light chassis on a A class will really struggle for weight but if it's what you want hope it works for you but spending that much dosh I would be having exactly what I wanted.
Problem is we are 73 and don't want to have to wait another year for a van.
Its under 6.7 m and going to be registered at 3850, with air rear axle can go to 2240 & gross to 4000.

Also the one we have found is on a 2022 fixed price, so about 8k less than current prices.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010

Its under 6.7 m and going to be registered at 3850, with air rear axle can go to 2240 & gross to 4000.

Also the one we have found is on a 2022 fixed price, so about 8k less than current prices.
If it's got the 9 speed auto you can uprate the light chassis to 4250 it's already got 16" 130pcd hubs etc .

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If it's got the 9 speed auto you can uprate the light chassis to 4250 it's already got 16" 130pcd hubs etc .
Yep it is, 180 hp & 9 speed auto is standard on RHD.

Does make sense as the heavy chassis is 40 kg more than the light and for the 180+auto adds 15kg.

On the light chassis it adds 55kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
need to move on and let us focus on Mr Kerrs business.
If Jim let's you post again perhaps you can explane to me why my order was cancelled.

I have spoken to colleagues in the trade no one has ever know Carthago to cancel an order

Why did Alan Kerr not bother to inform me.
I only found out by accident 5/6 weeks after it had been cancelled and I had spoken to one of the sales people during that time.

I have never received such bad treatment from a company.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

What air and where from please Lenny HB

Upvote 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What air and where from please Lenny HB
Carthago only approve VB air, you can have semi air or full air on the rear or full 4c air not sure of current cost but I think semi is over £2½k, full is around £8½ to £9k.
SAP at Doncaster are one of the best for fitting not the cheapest but they are good.

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Lenny HB i will sell your van for free to make sure you are ok. @SteveAndd
As I said we have been here before!
I now have nothing more to say on this subject 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
you seem to have some issue with me, I can’t change that. I am sure you will not say a word the next time I offer free advice for a Funster

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Dave, I went into Carthago City yesterday, they had one Compactline plated at 3500
with uprated front springs giving 1960 on the front axle.

If I measured correctly it does have the 130 PCD wheels and it looked like the bigger brakes so that would explane the 40 kg.
Had a grovel underneath and it is the light chassis with 2000kg axle rating.

So with standard front springs can be uprated to 3850 & with heavy duty front springs 3960.

So with air on the rear axle could go to 2240 and gross to 4200 with the uprated front springs.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Dave, I went into Carthago City yesterday, they had one Compactline plated at 3500
with uprated front springs giving 1960 on the front axle.

If I measured correctly it does have the 130 PCD wheels and it looked like the bigger brakes so that would explane the 40 kg.
Had a grovel underneath and it is the light chassis with 2000kg axle rating.

So with standard front springs can be uprated to 3850 & with heavy duty springs 3960.

So with air on the rear axle could go to 2240 and gross to 4200 with the uprated front springs.

With those wheels, brakes and HD front springs - 9 speed auto? - plus added air on the rear, it will be able to go to 2400 on the rear for a GVW of 4250 on the light chassis.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
With those wheels, brakes and HD front springs - 9 speed auto? - plus added air on the rear, it will be able to go to 2400 on the rear for a GVW of 4250 on the light chassis.
I'm fairly certain the Al-ko light can only go to 2240 on the rear with air.
Any extra on the front is useless as you can't make use of it.

Upvote 0
May 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2017
We were told today the Malibu 640 LE ordered in October 22- expected this November - has slipped to a January build so probably not ready to collect until early May!

The wait goes on - glad we haven’t sold out current Motorhome!

Upvote 1
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
If Jim let's you post again perhaps you can explane to me why my order was cancelled.

I have spoken to colleagues in the trade no one has ever know Carthago to cancel an order

Why did Alan Kerr not bother to inform me.
I only found out by accident 5/6 weeks after it had been cancelled and I had spoken to one of the sales people during that time.

I have never received such bad treatment from a company.
Sorry to hear that Lenny, some dealers really are pieces of work.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Many years ago, we had a Carthago on order from a UK dealer. As the delivery date approached we were told that our order had not been accepted by Carthago.

The dealer gave us back our deposit, so somebody had an order on the books.

My own thought was that the order went to somebody else who had the means not to wait in a queue.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I'm fairly certain the Al-ko light can only go to 2240 on the rear with air.
Any extra on the front is useless as you can't make use of it.
You be surprised at how much you can load in the front thro locker and hab door well so quite far forward and remove the front mattress and store clothing, blankets etc up front, unbelievable the amount of storage for the size of the van, and with those weights you have quoted your only a couple of hundred kg from the heavy chassis.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You be surprised at how much you can load in the front thro locker and hab door well so quite far forward and remove the front mattress and store clothing, blankets etc up front, unbelievable the amount of storage for the size of the van, and with those weights you have quoted your only a couple of hundred kg from the heavy chassis.
Rear axle will probably still be a bit tight as water tank goes half way under the garage behind the rear axle, that is a stupid bit of design obviously by some one who has never used a Motorhome.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
What difference does the gearbox make
I was told at 3850 the light chassis is at its limit
Just interested as I have that combo on a new fiat Motorhome

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
What difference does the gearbox make
I was told at 3850 the light chassis is at its limit
Just interested as I have that combo on a new fiat Motorhome
For some reason Fiat seem to have uprated the light chassis for the auto version ie 16" wheels the heavy chassis hubs and brakes which means you can uprate further than the manual version of the light chassis, it also looks like if it's a fiat chassis you can uprate it more than the alko chassis Orion made me aware of the new diffences think I a right in saying this only affects Ducati 8.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I’m pretty sure I read in the Carthago catalogue that it is possible to uprate the front axle to 2.3t.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
For some reason Fiat seem to have uprated the light chassis for the auto version ie 16" wheels the heavy chassis hubs and brakes which means you can uprate further than the manual version of the light chassis, it also looks like if it's a fiat chassis you can uprate it more than the alko chassis Orion made me aware of the new diffences think I a right in saying this only affects Ducati 8.

Agree with all of that. Just received my amended V5C back from the DVLA with revenue weight and mass now at 4250kg. The only item I can’t give confirmation on is whether the brand/specification of the rear air fitted has any bearing on it. I installed Dunlop but maybe those from other manufacturers may not achieve the same rear axle rating of 2400kg? Contact Dee at VWE for advice on that one.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Agree with all of that. Just received my amended V5C back from the DVLA with revenue weight and mass now at 4250kg. The only item I can’t give confirmation on is whether the brand/specification of the rear air fitted has any bearing on it. I installed Dunlop but maybe those from other manufacturers may not achieve the same rear axle rating of 2400kg? Contact Dee at VWE for advice on that one.
Do you have a website for VWE please as nothing came up when I googled it

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We were told today the Malibu 640 LE ordered in October 22- expected this November - has slipped to a January build so probably not ready to collect until early May!

The wait goes on - glad we haven’t sold out current Motorhome!
Once we had it confirmed that our van was in build it didn't take anywhere near 4 months before it arrived at the dealer, it might be worth asking why it will take so long. I've just double checked the info we received and we were told that it is generally 2-3 weeks in production and then 2-3 weeks to arrive at the dealer. In the event we received the email saying it was in production on 4 July and it arrived at the dealer on 4 August. Admittedly ours is an Adria but I can't see that Malibu will be that different.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back