Anyone got confirmed news Re Fiat Ducato build delays (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I am awaiting a new Adria PVC which should have been here last October but keeps on getting put back on a monthly basis. Now end of June and I don’t believe it will come then if I’m honest. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it finally arrived in 2023!

Trying to get any information of the true delay situation from the manufacturers, let alone information that you can trust to be correct and up to date, I am finding impossible. Nothing on the news for Europe but some in America Re shifts being closed at factories there from 2 to 1 a day, but that is about Stellantis car plants I believe.

The delays all appear to revolve around Stellantis production in Italy at their Sevel plant but still none the wiser as to specifically why. Saying the Pandemic repeatedly does not do it for me now.

I would just like to get some honest understanding of why the monthly delays continue and I think all Fiat based manufacturers are pretty much the same.

I wanted to start this Thread for comments from anyone who has got confirmed news or information, rather than rumours and speculation, although if my experiences are the same as others no one will be able to confidently add an update, but here goes 👍🏻

Regards in advance if anyone can add anything

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Still trying to find the truth but I think I've been stiched up.

Anyway I've found another van:-

A customer cancelled the order but the dealer kept the order live as it had price protection, it's Carthago's largest dealer so there shouldn't be any problems. Due next March so it will be a 2024 model at 2022 prices.

I've been able to make converter changes but not to the chassis as that has been locked into the system.
So it means it's RHD not very keen on that but don't want to wait another Year to 18 months for a van and by that time it will cost a lot more & my van will be worth a lot less.
It's also on the light chassis but the dealer will register it at 3850kg and it's possible to go to 4000 with air.
As for other chassis bit's I can't change, Fiat 10" infotainment system with electronic dash (not keen on that and it's £2½k)
Central locking (pointless when you only use one door, another £400),.
Rear corner steadies (something that will never be used another £385),
Alloy wheels (wouldn't order myself but look pretty, another £775),
Heavy duty front springs (£540).
Can't add front fog lights but I'm sure I can sort something out myself, need something with the diabolical headlights.

On the hab side decided to keep the Media package, TV, & cabinet + reversing camera & monitor, it's nearly £2k didn't have on the original I ordered.
Without it I would have to pay £650 for the cabinet and there are only a coulple of TV's that may fit & may not be able to wire a reversing camera into the Fiat unit so would probably only save 500 to 600 and give myself a lot of grief (I must be getting old).

Keeping the dropdown bed, saves £575 and I've had nothing but ear bending from 'er indoors since I ordered cupboards instead on the other one.

The only thing I can't change on the hab side is the electric option on the Truma Combi it's standard on RHD but you have to pay £645 for it, we have only ever had gas heating which suits us fine.

Reduced the rest of the spec to save cost & get rid of things we didn't want:

Got rid of the Oven & Grill, don't like where or how it's fitted. £950.
Garage upgrade, needle felt & net pockets. £305
Socket upgrade. £430 for 3 mains sockets & 2 USB.
Gas bottle pull out system. £570, my 14kg Alugas won't fit with that.
World of sleeping. £360 for fitted sheets and a couple of cushions.
Carpets. £495.
TV connection to rear bed area £300.

Changed the upholstery for a slightly better one & only got charged the 2022 price.

Although a year on and we are now getting less for our trade in, if we don't have full air and just fit semi-air on the rear our cost to change will only be a couple of k more. (Still working on her for full air).

Compactline's are as rare as rocking horse shit as they can only build them on the Fiat. Scoured Germany only a few new ones for sale and most were either manual or 140hp engine, only suitable one was speced to the hilt and would have been 8k more.
Lenny HB , if its got heavy duty front springs( come with these if 9 speed auto) it should be able to go to 1960kg on the front. VWE did my engineering docs for DVLA. Add air to the rear and you are nearly at the heavy chassis specs.
Mine came with the oven/grill. Only used as a bread bin and a waste of space.

20230920_141611.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Lenny HB , if it’s got heavy duty front springs( come with these if 9 speed auto) it should be able to go to 1960kg on the front. VWE did my engineering docs for DVLA. Add air to the rear and you are nearly at the heavy chassis specs.

Or depending on O/E wheels and tyres, (plus the air on the rear), it might be possible to go to a GVW of 4250kg with 2400kg on the back axle. The V5C for our Adria Compact is currently with the DVLA along with the VWE supplied engineer’s report etc. to do just that.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Or depending on O/E wheels and tyres, (plus the air on the rear), it might be possible to go to a GVW of 4250kg with 2400kg on the back axle. The V5C for our Adria Compact is currently with the DVLA along with the VWE supplied engineer’s report etc. to do just that.
That must be a heavy chassis never heard of a light chassis going up that much even with air on the rear unless they have changed the brakes, axle, hubs etc?

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
£360 for fitted sheets and a couple of cushions.
Is that for the rear beds, with the bit extra in between them? I'd like to get something like that for our Adria Twin 640 SLB when it turns up. Are they from Carthargo or elsewhere?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2022
Spalding, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika L4009DS
Exp
Is that for the rear beds, with the bit extra in between them? I'd like to get something like that for our Adria Twin 640 SLB when it turns up. Are they from Carthargo or elsewhere?
They are a Carthago or Malibu option. There are a few companies who make fitted sheets for this style of motorhome. Maybe Jonic have them?

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
That must be a heavy chassis never heard of a light chassis going up that much even with air on the rear unless they have changed the brakes, axle, hubs etc?

AFAIK it is the light chassis. This is a 9 speed auto and the original Fiat plate states GVW 3650kg with 1960kg front and 2000kg rear. The Adria converters plate is identical, and although the model is usually sold as a down rated 3500kg for obvious reasons we took the F.O.C ‘option’ :ROFLMAO: to go back to 3650kg!

I submitted all the required specifications to VWE, including my added Dunlop rear air and the O/E items which may have assisted in it getting to the high GVW, which are: ventilated 300mm disc brakes all round; 225/75R16CP 116Q Michelin Agilis tyres; Fiat 16” 1250kg rated alloy wheels.

The new plated GVW is 4250kg with 1960kg on the front and 2400kg on the rear. Apparently the highest rated Fiat alloys helped to go to the Dunlop limit of 2400kg on the rear. Not sure how much other rear air is rated, maybe not as much as that?

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
AFAIK it is the light chassis. This is a 9 speed auto and the original Fiat plate states GVW 3650kg with 1960kg front and 2000kg rear. The Adria converters plate is identical, and although the model is usually sold as a down rated 3500kg for obvious reasons we took the F.O.C ‘option’ :ROFLMAO: to go back to 3650kg!

I submitted all the required specifications to VWE, including my added Dunlop rear air and the O/E items which may have assisted in it getting to the high GVW, which are: ventilated 300mm disc brakes all round; 225/75R16CP 116Q Michelin Agilis tyres; Fiat 16” 1250kg rated alloy wheels.

The new plated GVW is 4250kg with 1960kg on the front and 2400kg on the rear. Apparently the highest rated Fiat alloys helped to go to the Dunlop limit of 2400kg on the rear. Not sure how much other rear air is rated, maybe not as much as that?
Wow that's a first for me never new the rear axle could go to 2400kg on the light chassis even with air, I have a heavy chassis with VB full air and the max I could go to was 2500kg I didn't realise the light chassis 16" alloys (118 PCD heavy chassis 130PCD) would be rated the same I wonder if SV Tech would allow the same increase would be interested to know if anyone else has uprated the light chassis to this ?

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
These are the wheels.

image.png

All in all I think I’ve been very lucky with the O/E components that the van came with, and possibly by choosing the Dunlop rear air to install if it’s rated higher than other brands.

Will we need the maximum extra payload? I doubt it with just the two of us, but I do know we were the wrong side of borderline when I put it on our local weighbridge fully loaded!

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
These are the wheels.

View attachment 812278

All in all I think I’ve been very lucky with the O/E components that the van came with, and possibly by choosing the Dunlop rear air to install if it’s rated higher than other brands.

Will we need the maximum extra payload? I doubt it with just the two of us, but I do know we were the wrong side of borderline when I put it on our local weighbridge fully loaded!
They are 130pcd so must have heavy chassis hubs as well, light chassis hubs are 118pcd if all that's been changed it would have been easy buying a heavy chassis.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I wonder if SV Tech would allow the same increase would be interested to know if anyone else has uprated the light chassis to this ?
When I uprated 2 years ago I asked SV Tech about uprating the light chassis beyond 3850kg, they said air would increase the rear axle limit a little. I have forgotten the exact figure they gave but it was less than 4000kg and they gave me the impression that there was a physical limit to what the light chassis could carry.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
When I uprated 2 years ago I asked SV Tech about uprating the light chassis beyond 3850kg, they said air would increase the rear axle limit a little. I have forgotten the exact figure they gave but it was less than 4000kg and they gave me the impression that there was a physical limit to what the light chassis could carry.

Could it be that with the 9 speed auto not just the heavy duty front springs have been fitted as per Russell's Dad post #1,021 above, to bring the front axle to 1960kg, but also the hubs and wheels have been upgraded as well?

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Could it be that with the 9 speed auto not just the heavy duty front springs have been fitted as per Russell's Dad post #1,021 above, to bring the front axle to 1960kg, but also the hubs and wheels have been upgraded as well?
It's not the air or the springs that limit the light chassis there is alot of mechanical differences as well.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I really don’t know. Fortunately 3850kg works for us.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Interestingly I am led to believe from the Malibu options list, the auto box seems to come with some chassis changes to accommodate it. Maybe this is why an autobox version can go to a higher max weight and axle weight?
AH just read that your right they do fit 16" 130pcd wheels to the new fiat with the 9 speed option everyday is a learning day 👍🏻

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Would*
Also, not sure who you are to simon however i can confirm alot of the reputation damage was because of his dealings as reflected in multiple reviews naming the people now at select motorhomes. I can also assure you social media does get looked at on a daily basis.
Hope this helps 👍p.s happy to help anybody who does have any issues with Alan Kerr Ltd.
I don’t know who you are, I presume you work or are a Director at Alan Kerr. I am not interested in getting into mud slinging however I have a very good reputation personally.
I hope you are able to help customers who are having problems like I do as some of them especially people like Lenny HB started as customers but have actually become friends!

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I don’t know who you are, I presume you work or are a Director at Alan Kerr. I am not interested in getting into mud slinging however I have a very good reputation personally.
I hope you are able to help customers who are having problems like I do as some of them especially people like Lenny HB started as customers but have actually become friends!
This is not really the place to be bitching or commenting on ex employers or making assumptions ☹️

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Would*
Also, not sure who you are to simon however i can confirm alot of the reputation damage was because of his dealings as reflected in multiple reviews naming the people now at select motorhomes. I can also assure you social media does get looked at on a daily basis.
Hope this helps 👍p.s happy to help anybody who does have any issues with Alan Kerr Ltd.
Well I am his father and have 32 years experience in the motorhome industry, in fact I knew the Rogers family that owned AK's before it was a car dealership

The weight of evidence being damaging is amusing to say the least

I would ask if Simon was such a 'problem' why AK made him a Director?

Perhaps that information lies at Company House and the associated accounts?

Who knows, but I think challenging an innocent customer that has had his motorhome order cancelled seems somewhat strange

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
This is not really the place to be bitching or commenting on ex employers or making assumptions ☹️
I agree, however a free member with 2 posts blaming all the problems on me. I have as per the above explained I am not getting into mud slinging. Anyway, other than trying to help Lenny HB I don't have anymore to say on this thread!

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Well I am his father and have 32 years experience in the motorhome industry, in fact I knew the Rogers family that owned AK's before it was a car dealership

The weight of evidence being damaging is amusing to say the least

I would ask if Simon was such a 'problem' why your father made him a Director?

Perhaps that information lies at Company House and the associated accounts?

Who knows, but I think challenging an innocent customer that has had his motorhome order cancelled seems somewhat strange
Hi Simons father.
Like Simon has said i am not interested in a mud slinging match. I think personally he needs to focus on his new venture and all the best to him & likewise those individually making childish remarks need to move on and let us focus on Mr Kerrs business.
Also, i am of no relation to the family. Glad we can clear this up and all move along like adults 👍

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Simons father.
Like Simon has said i am not interested in a mud slinging match. I think personally he needs to focus on his new venture and all the best to him & likewise those individually making childish remarks need to move on and let us focus on Mr Kerrs business.
Also, i am of no relation to the family. Glad we can clear this up and all move along like adults 👍
Corrected my post (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back