Anyone got confirmed news Re Fiat Ducato build delays (3 Viewers)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I am awaiting a new Adria PVC which should have been here last October but keeps on getting put back on a monthly basis. Now end of June and I don’t believe it will come then if I’m honest. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it finally arrived in 2023!

Trying to get any information of the true delay situation from the manufacturers, let alone information that you can trust to be correct and up to date, I am finding impossible. Nothing on the news for Europe but some in America Re shifts being closed at factories there from 2 to 1 a day, but that is about Stellantis car plants I believe.

The delays all appear to revolve around Stellantis production in Italy at their Sevel plant but still none the wiser as to specifically why. Saying the Pandemic repeatedly does not do it for me now.

I would just like to get some honest understanding of why the monthly delays continue and I think all Fiat based manufacturers are pretty much the same.

I wanted to start this Thread for comments from anyone who has got confirmed news or information, rather than rumours and speculation, although if my experiences are the same as others no one will be able to confidently add an update, but here goes 👍🏻

Regards in advance if anyone can add anything

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry, no help to anyone, but for me I couldn't stand the wait, if I can't have something at least next week, I just couldn't order it, I would change my mind a dozen times by next year and just think how many new models of different vans will come out before you get yours.
On another drift does anyone watch the roaming Radford's on YouTube, they have just taken delivery of an all singing and dancing new swift that hasn't even been announced yet.

Upvote 2
Feb 13, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115 Vogue
Exp
Since 2010
Where did it all go wrong? Wiring looms from Ukraine, chips from China, bits from Italy, more bits from France, nailed together in Germany to make a motorhome for sale in Britain. We’ve all seen the films of men and women streaming out of the Raleigh factory building British bikes or the Coventry car factories building British cars. This should have translated into modern high tech factories supplying British factories with raw materials and parts to build everything we need here. Rant over!

Upvote 2
Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, I am awaiting a new Adria PVC which should have been here last October but keeps on getting put back on a monthly basis. Now end of June and I don’t believe it will come then if I’m honest. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it finally arrived in 2023!

Trying to get any information of the true delay situation from the manufacturers, let alone information that you can trust to be correct and up to date, I am finding impossible. Nothing on the news for Europe but some in America Re shifts being closed at factories there from 2 to 1 a day, but that is about Stellantis car plants I believe.

The delays all appear to revolve around Stellantis production in Italy at their Sevel plant but still none the wiser as to specifically why. Saying the Pandemic repeatedly does not do it for me now.

I would just like to get some honest understanding of why the monthly delays continue and I think all Fiat based manufacturers are pretty much the same.

I wanted to start this Thread for comments from anyone who has got confirmed news or information, rather than rumours and speculation, although if my experiences are the same as others no one will be able to confidently add an update, but here goes 👍🏻

Friend of mine is awaiting his Adria Twin PVC, ordered late last year, and was initially told May 2022 delivery.... has recently been told not to expect his van until September 2022. This from his dealer, sorry, don't know which one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
I don't see why people buy new, though pleased they do, I wouldn't like to pay a fortune and then have to wait for ages to get anything. I like to buy something I can see, and if I then have to wait a few days this is bad enough.
Perhaps people don't want to be saddled with a second-hand lemon, that has lots of undeclared/undisclosed problems? I'd rather buy new, knowing that if mine is a lemon, I'm at least covered by the guarantee and/or warranty.

Upvote 1
Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Awaiting Deliver

Hi
New on here. We've an Adria Twin on order since early Sep 21. Delivery was first quoted as Jan Feb 22 and latest is Oct 22. Last week we were told our 160bhp auto had been withdrawn by Fiat so dropped to 140bhp. Told this was down to Fiat but can find nothing online. Rather suspect Adria are trying to reduce options available. Maybe down to RHD availability after all UK is a tiny market far away on the edge of Europe. Fiat engines are in short supply-those identical engines Citroen and Peugeot are supplied from France. Online info about plant closures due to supply of engines for the Ducatos and other news on extra shifts. Adria and their dealers seem to be determined to avoid providing any updates.
Norman & Margo

Upvote 1
Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
We are waiting on a delayed new one. (Carado T459 Edition 15) Ordered August 21 for Jan 22, Feb, April now possibly May 22. We have now been given an actual VIN number, but who knows??? A friend who used to be a UK agent for a major European brand says that the Fiat van factory keeps shutting for months. (His Frankia has been delayed from Feb to October).

I have suspicions re the availability of RHD versus LHD, but we have had both, so I have scoured Europe for our model and we cannot get either left or right any quicker......

We have a major wedding anniversary this year, so our plans are more fixed than usual, so October delivery would really mess these plans up for us.
As for the daft second hand prices currently, our number of summers on this earth are finite, which can make a 'van in the hand' extremely precious.
Also, just as an aside, I would rather buy a quality, cherished second hand van where all the teething troubles and dealer aggro has been tackled by the first owner🤭🤭

Upvote 1
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Picking up our new Fiat PVC tomorrow(y) Ordered June '21 with eta early 2022, then May, then August. We really wanted a manual gearbox although the dealer special (which were the only ones he had ordered) was an auto. When he phoned to say a new manual edition had been delivered and we could have it immediately I took a nano second to say yes please::bigsmile: It appears the supply vehicles is spasmodic and mostly manuals.
Sue
Excellent news. The new Auto's are highly regarded and the most popular option apparently, so you have gained an advantage by wanting manual. I have paid for the Auto upgrade and would get a refund if I settled for a manual. Will just wait for the Auto but delighted you have got what you actually wanted. (y)

Upvote 1
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The factory in Ukraine that supplies the VAG group with wiring looms is at less than half capacity due to being shelled.
A lot of the looms that they are producing at the moment are going to Bentley.
Does make you wonder why,when they have got up to all sorts of tricks & skullduggery before ,that they haven't invested in there own armed wing to wreak havoc on russian blockades & actions affecting there production facilities & impacting on there company performance? all tax deductable-(y)

Upvote 1
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
That’s what I’m afraid of Jim. I have asked the question and been told by the dealer that is not the case. I have got so many questions. How do I find out of that has happened. Is it the dealer, the motor home fitter or the chassis manufacturer? I don’t really know how the industry works or who I should be chasing down. I’m relying on the word of the dealer currently. Any advice on how things work and what I might do?
Do you have any documentation or contract or deposit paid that secures your order. Even in these times of component shortage having placed your order in 2020 I think something is amiss with your dealer. I think I would be contacting Autotrail and asking where your 2020 order through your dealer actually is in their schedule. They will probably just refer you back to dealer but but you might get some general indication as to whether the are receiving the PVC's from Fiat. There are many of us waiting but at least we were given projected delivery times and subsequently revised ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
On Friday last week there were 15 to 20 Fiat PVC in the Autotrail works compound at Immingham waiting to get their conversions. There were also a number of Fiat cab chassis too and plenty of workers cars at the factory, so presumably they were working. 3 weeks ago, or there about, there were no fiats there at all apart from some registered ones presumably for warranty repair.

Upvote 1
May 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
I would guess that once a chassis number is given the vehicle exists and will be ready for the convertor. I have received a recent message from my dealer on the 'Delivery Delays' posting that once a chassis number is allocated it would normally be converted and with the dealer within about 4 weeks. Having said that he did add that they are having vehicles showing as completed but still awaiting a component which holds up delivery. But your 2020 still outstanding is a mystery. There were 4 new Adria PVC's the other week at Highbridge so they are dripping through.
My dealer told me I had a chassis number allocated but now it’s been removed. I hope that it hasn’t been assigned to another vehicle or even worse that my van has been converted and somehow been sold on to another buyer. Does this sort of thing happen? And is it the company converting the van or the dealer that does this?

Upvote 1
Jul 29, 2021
Halesowen, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Lyseo Time
Exp
2022!
Update: I have just received an email saying that my order (Sonic) has been delayed a third time. I have been moved back to Feb. 2023, and the delay by Stellantis has been quoted. My order was accepted in October 2021! This means a 16 month wait, and even then there are no guarantees. Really not sure we can carry on like this. We do not currently have a van and time is ticking by 🙁 I am a pretty patient bloke, but we have a decision to make. Do we drop out of the loop and possibly end up with a van we won't get on with, and at an inflated price, or do we carry on waiting?

Upvote 1
May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
The patience ran out and we went out hunting for alternatives. Now have a Bürstner, second-hand but less than 2 years old, and it is ticking most of the boxes atm! The Adria is still on order but will it ever arrive? And will the current moho convince us to keep it?
With you on this. Our patience ran out too. Hymer on order & keeps getting delayed. So bought an excellent used Carthago a couple of months ago & love it (except don't love the comformatic gear box as much as our previous manual one!). Hymer on Fiat chassis still on order & dealer rang last week to say delayed again🤷‍♀️....So glad we have got one to use now as we have been Vanless since last Sept.

Upvote 1
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Depending on when you ordered I would have thought that dealers and manufacturers would have been reasonably aware of the issues of supply etc. and that would have been factored into the agreed/contracted price. Adria and dealers certainly appear to be continuing to sell on a ‘price protected’ basis. However, if the agreed specification has been ‘improved’ and the price increased accordingly it’s something open to discussion with them. BTW have a look at the price of the vehicle if ordered today and judge if a £2k increase is in order - our Adria was up £20k on the order price when it showed up a tad over a year later!

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Few Ducato chassis waiting to go into production at N&B:

96F6650C-B1DA-4A16-B817-B19A434BAE7A.jpeg

They also mentioned that chassis/cabs are only part of the story. As an example Seitz cannot supply certain parts for the blinds on the ISmove and as such they have 10 vans finished but can’t go out until these parts arrive, parts are at least 6-8wks away….. so it’s not only Fiat causing this.

Upvote 1
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Almost all the 'sold' vehicles at the show had hoards of visitors in and out of them, we also quite a few vans with damage to flyscreens and window blinds.

I guess the dealers will have to pick up the repair costs.
Marketing costs but should also indicate to the manufacturers weak points so also useful R&D!

Upvote 1
Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Now I have a chassis number. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Just had a call. Apparently the van just rolled off the low loader at the dealers.

Pilote G740 Expression (RHD 4.4 tonne heavy chassis 180bhp with 9 speed auto). Can't sit still right now, although unfortunately another 4 to 6 weeks before we can collect.

Upvote 1
Mar 19, 2020
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Newbie to MoHo, not to life!
We ordered an Adria Compact DL in October 2022. The delivery indication from the dealer then was ‘early 2024’. He’s just written to advise of an estimated delivery date of 19/10/23, to him. The dealer did mention Fiat supply issues, especially for autos. If this delivery date is met, we’ll be happy!

Upvote 1
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
It appears we are one of the worst examples ordered Feb 21 for a Feb 22 delivery.

We have been getting increasingly excited as the latest week 24 production date estimate on the Hymer Portal was fast approaching with no negative news.

Phone rings this morning its from the dealer....... its now November build and my understanding is that it is no more certain than the myriad of other estimates that have already been and gone.

What an industry and Fiat are a disgrace.

If you search for Motorhomes on Autotrader (new and used) above £75,000 and from 2021 year, there are 108 pages of listings with 11 on a page.

It would appear the bottom has fallen out of the market.

Upvote 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I understand they are still offering that engine for certain customers but told all along that our original spec order would be honoured. Isn't the difference between the 140 and 160 just the chip?
Different turbo and quite a few other bit not sure exactly with the 160 but the 180 is quite a different beast.

Given the choice of a 140 or 180 instead of a 160 it would have to be the 180.

Upvote 1
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I seem to remember a conversation you, Dave and I had at Stratford on Avon as to wether this deal would would be honoured
back in June and am sorry to say I was right unfortunately,
but gives me No pleasure in saying this, But you owe me a pint as that was the bet.
I do hope you find another van for a similar deal.👍
Yeah remember it well get the pints in Lenny 🍻

Still trying to find the truth but I think I've been stiched up.

Anyway I've found another van:-

A customer cancelled the order but the dealer kept the order live as it had price protection, it's Carthago's largest dealer so there shouldn't be any problems. Due next March so it will be a 2024 model at 2022 prices.

I've been able to make converter changes but not to the chassis as that has been locked into the system.
So it means it's RHD not very keen on that but don't want to wait another Year to 18 months for a van and by that time it will cost a lot more & my van will be worth a lot less.
It's also on the light chassis but the dealer will register it at 3850kg and it's possible to go to 4000 with air.
As for other chassis bit's I can't change, Fiat 10" infotainment system with electronic dash (not keen on that and it's £2½k)
Central locking (pointless when you only use one door, another £400),.
Rear corner steadies (something that will never be used another £385),
Alloy wheels (wouldn't order myself but look pretty, another £775),
Heavy duty front springs (£540).
Can't add front fog lights but I'm sure I can sort something out myself, need something with the diabolical headlights.

On the hab side decided to keep the Media package, TV, & cabinet + reversing camera & monitor, it's nearly £2k didn't have on the original I ordered.
Without it I would have to pay £650 for the cabinet and there are only a coulple of TV's that may fit & may not be able to wire a reversing camera into the Fiat unit so would probably only save 500 to 600 and give myself a lot of grief (I must be getting old).

Keeping the dropdown bed, saves £575 and I've had nothing but ear bending from 'er indoors since I ordered cupboards instead on the other one.

The only thing I can't change on the hab side is the electric option on the Truma Combi it's standard on RHD but you have to pay £645 for it, we have only ever had gas heating which suits us fine.

Reduced the rest of the spec to save cost & get rid of things we didn't want:

Got rid of the Oven & Grill, don't like where or how it's fitted. £950.
Garage upgrade, needle felt & net pockets. £305
Socket upgrade. £430 for 3 mains sockets & 2 USB.
Gas bottle pull out system. £570, my 14kg Alugas won't fit with that.
World of sleeping. £360 for fitted sheets and a couple of cushions.
Carpets. £495.
TV connection to rear bed area £300.

Changed the upholstery for a slightly better one & only got charged the 2022 price.

Although a year on and we are now getting less for our trade in, if we don't have full air and just fit semi-air on the rear our cost to change will only be a couple of k more. (Still working on her for full air).

Compactline's are as rare as rocking horse shit as they can only build them on the Fiat. Scoured Germany only a few new ones for sale and most were either manual or 140hp engine, only suitable one was speced to the hilt and would have been 8k more.
Seems a big compromise/ backwards step Lenny going for RHD and a big no no for me would be the light chassis on a A class will really struggle for weight but if it's what you want hope it works for you but spending that much dosh I would be having exactly what I wanted.

Upvote 1

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Only went tits up after Simon left.

Problem is we are 73 and don't want to have to wait another year for a van.
Its under 6.7 m and going to be registered at 3850, with air rear axle can go to 2240 & gross to 4000.

Also the one we have found is on a 2022 fixed price, so about 8k less than current prices.
What air and where from please Lenny HB

Upvote 1
May 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2017
We were told today the Malibu 640 LE ordered in October 22- expected this November - has slipped to a January build so probably not ready to collect until early May!

The wait goes on - glad we haven’t sold out current Motorhome!

Upvote 1

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I've been told it delivery could be at the end of 2025. I've resigned myself to a long wait and be happy I got the van of my choice. I'd rather have the 9 speed than the new 8 speed. Hopefully I'll get a chassis allocation before the 8 speed comes in. Fingers crossed.
It should be on your order form what engine and gearbox you are getting.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back