Anyone got confirmed news Re Fiat Ducato build delays (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I am awaiting a new Adria PVC which should have been here last October but keeps on getting put back on a monthly basis. Now end of June and I don’t believe it will come then if I’m honest. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it finally arrived in 2023!

Trying to get any information of the true delay situation from the manufacturers, let alone information that you can trust to be correct and up to date, I am finding impossible. Nothing on the news for Europe but some in America Re shifts being closed at factories there from 2 to 1 a day, but that is about Stellantis car plants I believe.

The delays all appear to revolve around Stellantis production in Italy at their Sevel plant but still none the wiser as to specifically why. Saying the Pandemic repeatedly does not do it for me now.

I would just like to get some honest understanding of why the monthly delays continue and I think all Fiat based manufacturers are pretty much the same.

I wanted to start this Thread for comments from anyone who has got confirmed news or information, rather than rumours and speculation, although if my experiences are the same as others no one will be able to confidently add an update, but here goes 👍🏻

Regards in advance if anyone can add anything

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been told it delivery could be at the end of 2025. I've resigned myself to a long wait and be happy I got the van of my choice. I'd rather have the 9 speed than the new 8 speed. Hopefully I'll get a chassis allocation before the 8 speed comes in. Fingers crossed.
If it's not going to be built until the end of 2025 I think you will be getting a Series 10 with the 8 speed as they will be in production this year.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
If it's not going to be built until the end of 2025 I think you will be getting a Series 10 with the 8 speed as they will be in production this year.
Nothing wrong with the 8 speed, don’t know if that’s the one which has been in use for years but if it is, it really is a fantastic bit of kit, got a 8 speed ZF in my BMW

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Pretty sure the 9 speed is also ZF. It's fantastic!

I am no expert but I would have thought 9 speed is preferable to 8 speed. Maybe its not really noticeable but 8 speed might be a bit cheaper to make.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
God dammit like they say in American movies! Again I was awake in the middle of the night, thinking of my miserable life and marriage and so on. Also thinking about the the van order which has sometimes made me feel slightly stupid waiting and waiting and waiting for something that obviously isn't coming. Then I decided to check my e-mails and omg! After 3 years and 3 months there is finally an email saying that the van is done and coming! Oh my god!

Now we just wait what they have come up what. The chassis has changed since our order, the engine has changed and even the whole interior has changed during these years. Not the mention the gearbox, ordered a 9-speed and guess it's one of those since afaik the 8-speed has just been started to be produced (my friend works at a Fiat garage). Not to mention all the upgrades I've made to the specs while waiting.

Should be a Fiat based Hymer Grand Canyon with Truma Diesel, full digital dash and Hymer Smart battery, factory installed inverter AND so on. And with prices valid from 7/2020 so 20+ k€ cheaper than the current price. Oh my god.

Something must still go wrong.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Congratulations PDrill! Sounds like you will get a nice van after the wait. We love the new Fiat 9 speed auto and digital display etc.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
God dammit like they say in American movies! Again I was awake in the middle of the night, thinking of my miserable life and marriage and so on. Also thinking about the the van order which has sometimes made me feel slightly stupid waiting and waiting and waiting for something that obviously isn't coming. Then I decided to check my e-mails and omg! After 3 years and 3 months there is finally an email saying that the van is done and coming! Oh my god!

Now we just wait what they have come up what. The chassis has changed since our order, the engine has changed and even the whole interior has changed during these years. Not the mention the gearbox, ordered a 9-speed and guess it's one of those since afaik the 8-speed has just been started to be produced (my friend works at a Fiat garage). Not to mention all the upgrades I've made to the specs while waiting.

Should be a Fiat based Hymer Grand Canyon with Truma Diesel, full digital dash and Hymer Smart battery, factory installed inverter AND so on. And with prices valid from 7/2020 so 20+ k€ cheaper than the current price. Oh my god.

More than 3 years!? I was waiting one year and was awful! That's too much. Anyway, congratulations!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

That has got to be a record long wait will be interesting to see which gearbox you get.
What does it say on your order Series 9 or Series 10?
Our Carthago that's been on order for 18 months which we may get next month order says Series 9.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
PDrill The new Grand Canyon interior is very attractive and you will be getting a bargain if the price has been protected for three years. As Lenny HB said, that must be a record! A current model is now in excess of £100k. Bare in mind that the price of the new 8-speed gearbox is about half the price of the current 9-speed. When you collect it, check the fit of the middle left drawer in the garage as it was misaligned in all the Hymer campervans at Caravan Salon. Otherwise quality was much better than the previous year.
IMG_1649.jpegIMG_1648.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
What does it say on your order Series 9 or Series 10?

No idea about series. When I placed the order it was just a rumor that something new might be coming in 22 as it eventually did. Since then there seems to have been so many upgrades and news that I've lost count of all the changes :)

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
No idea about series. When I placed the order it was just a rumor that something new might be coming in 22 as it eventually did. Since then there seems to have been so many upgrades and news that I've lost count of all the changes :)
On my new order it does not say series either just the engine variant.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

My Malibu Van has recently arrived with the dealer and is awaiting registration. It is a series 9 with the 9 speed box. I would guess yours will be a series 9 if it is on its way.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Series 9 has the 9 speed box, Series 10 has the 8 speed. I don't think any Motorhomes have been produced on the Series 10 yet.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Might end up having the new hydrogen engine with infinitely variable transmission 😉

Upvote 0
May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
e-mails and omg! After 3 years and 3 months there is finally an email saying that the van is done and coming! Oh my god!

Got the VIN today. Chassis seems to be manufactured in September so 'a slight delay' at Hymer seems to have happened.

Instead the Maxi 35 chassis we ordered we are getting a 40 chassis, and it also has the electrical parking brake which we didn't order but all these new Grand Canyons have it as standard. We also ordered with a factory build Webasto but that isn't coming. Hymer doesn't offer it on these new GC's even though Fiat still installs them if ordered. Most likely because the control panel is installed in the roof and this new GC doesn't have that parcel shelf above the cabin any more. We'll see what the dealer thinks when I try to get them to install one afterwards.

At this point I don't have info about all the habitation extras (the order has been modified a few times during these years) nor the price (again, stuff has been added) so I'm slightly nervous about how the monthly payment will end up with current interests and so on. The van should arrive in Finland at the end of this month and guess it's a week or two from that.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
For the 40 Maxi there's an optional extra to downplate it to 3.5 (probably something to do with drivers licenses), so I'd say there are some technical differencies between 35 and 40 rather than just paper work.

Wouldn't make much sense to sell 35 Maxi, 40 Maxi and a downplated 40 Maxi all the same van :)

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2024
Norwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo coming
Exp
We are expecting our first campervan in July 2024. This will be our first so we’re new!
Been following this thread for a loooong time!

We had good news this week that our Ducato van (6.36m,180HP auto) has been delivered to the converters and that we should be able to pick it up sometime in July.

We ordered in August 2022 so it’s been a long difficult wait but hopefully will be worth it.

I’m sure that the next two months will feel longer than the first 20 though!

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Might end up having the new hydrogen engine with infinitely variable transmission 😉
Not so sure about the hydrogen.

But we have a Honda (car) with the infinitely variable transmission. Amazing. Do not want to go back to anything else.

Mind You. The Ducato 9 speed transmission on the Hymer is amazing as well. You can hear the changes, but it is a pleasure to drive.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Maxi is also available as 3.5t and has been as long as I can remember.

View attachment 886444
I have one (Citroen badged though). It's plated at 3500, but I have much higher axle limits than the light chassis (2100Kg front, 2400Kg rear). Also the bigger brakes.

Apart from the plated weight, I don't know what is different between mine and the 40 maxi

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back