LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had a cycle ride into town today which took about fifteen minutes. We some tapas for lunch which I forgot to photo but a Russian salad, potatoes in garlic mayonnaise, a slice of tortilla and a seafood cocktail. We then needed a walk along the front to walk it off! A few photos from the day.
View attachment 887129
View attachment 887139
View attachment 887140View attachment 887141View attachment 887142View attachment 887143View attachment 887144View attachment 887145View attachment 887146
You would have walked past our mooring...glad you enjoyed Puerto de Mazarron..
5484016-boat-in-water.jpg

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
At the moment a lot of the seafront beyond the marina and immediate restaurants is shut up. These are probably holiday homes or apartments to let but too early in the season, a bit like Cornish holiday villages! One can imagine it must be heaving in the summer!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
At the moment a lot of the seafront beyond the marina and immediate restaurants is shut up. These are probably holiday homes or apartments to let but too early in the season, a bit like Cornish holiday villages! One can imagine it must be heaving in the summer!
Quiet just now...enough bars and restaurants open to cater for both locals and visitors...very busy in the winter and exceptionally busy in the summer...we find this time of the year to be perfect for us..
Puerto Mazarron is not an all year round resort like other Spanish coastal locations...but come May/June through until October it is bursting with life...

Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008
Today we came back into Valencia to go to the Police Station but afterwards went back to the river bed where further along they have built the most modern Art Science and Exhibition Buildings with extraordinary architecture.
I think they missed a trick though as all those pools are only paddling depth! They should have put in an Olympic Swimming pool, Diving pool and lots of fun pools for kids.

View attachment 885388View attachment 885389View attachment 885390View attachment 885391View attachment 885392View attachment 885393View attachment 885394View attachment 885395View attachment 885396View attachment 885397View attachment 885398View attachment 885399View attachment 885400View attachment 885401View attachment 885402View attachment 885403View attachment 885404View attachment 885405View attachment 885406View attachment 885407View attachment 885408View attachment 885409View attachment 885410View attachment 885411
I love Valencia, my old poodle loved to paddle in the pools, I take my new dog on the ferry tonight to Bilbo’s

D0901AF4-AAB4-4038-AC31-0E72B771ABF9.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 1AB5D15C-5802-43EE-979D-F5055A3B9F01.MOV
    8.7 MB
OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
It rained overnight and is cloudy and a bit chilly today but we have had a trip to the Spar shop suggested by a fellow funster who came and introduced himself. He was quite right when he said if it hasn’t got it it does not exist! What an Aladdin’s cave! We are now at Oasis a tapas bar he also suggested which is popular and looks good. On the way we passed the famous wind weathered rocks of Bolnuevo.
IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2682.jpeg

IMG_2683.jpeg

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It rained overnight and is cloudy and a bit chilly today but we have had a trip to the Spar shop suggested by a fellow funster who came and introduced himself. He was quite right when he said if it hasn’t got it it does not exist! What an Aladdin’s cave! We are now at Oasis a tapas bar he also suggested which is popular and looks good. On the way we passed the famous wind weathered rocks of Bolnuevo.View attachment 887366
View attachment 887367
View attachment 887398
Good job you requested Tapas and not a full meal....looks like a full hit to me..
For those who might not know...a tapas is a small piece of plated food ..that it given free with a drink.normally beer or wine..nowadays as traditions have changed...the portions have increased..Raciones...are large tapas...and a meal in itself...
We once were cycling through Caceres...and went into a fast food type Tapas bar....everything was 1€ the staff were walking between tables with freshly cooked Tapas....a good fill was had for two hungry cyclists on the Via del la Plata route....

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Margaret is very traditional in her food so she had a cheese toastie & chips (€6) which was evidently disappointing - I could have put money on that in advance! I had pimento pepper filled with seafood tasting rice in a tomato sauce (€3) and the mid range Paella at €6. Mine were lovely! A Sangria and Coke added €6, total €21 plus tip.

I should add that the table was small and the plates were not dinner plates but between a side plate and a dinner plate!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The main toilet block is 2 stories. The last quarter of it is currently being renovated. Some pics to show an example from the men’s and the rest of the site from the roof.
IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2686.jpeg

IMG_2687.jpeg

IMG_2688.jpeg

IMG_2689.jpeg
IMG_2691.jpeg

IMG_2692.jpeg

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I have been deeply impressed by your 'Keep calm and carry on " attitude in the face of your earlier setbacks. I would like a draught of that!
Thanks for the interesting thread and wishing you happy travels.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have been deeply impressed by your 'Keep calm and carry on " attitude in the face of your earlier setbacks. I would like a draught of that!
Thanks for the interesting thread and wishing you happy travels.
I think it’s more a question of the past is past, I have done all I can to help the police catch him but life goes on. You have to look forward. No point spoiling the holiday when there is nothing more to do than suck up the loss of too much cash which was my own stupid fault. Better lose some cash than perhaps get knifed or something

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the photos of Playa Mazarron campsite. I don’t even recognise it from when we last saw it some 12 years ago, we would not have stayed there then. I’ve had to check I’m thinking of the same place and I am. Looks very nice and we like Mazarron, but usually stay at Los Madrilles.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
When set out on this trip we wanted to see A Bit of the coast between Valencia and Malaga. Valencia was great, plenty to see and do and plenty of cycleways.

In Puerto Mazarron the campsite is great as is the port but it is a small seaside town and nothing much the westerly as the road gives way to a rough gravely track along the coast which looks too much of a challenge for a couple of septuagenarians to tackle with hybrid bikes to be honest. With the weather cloudy and a cool breeze its initial attraction has waned somewhat.

Beyond the Port there is major reconstruction going on as they extend the promenade so that was not an attractive route to follow but will no doubt be lovely in a year or two.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
See below .

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
When set out on this trip we wanted to see A Bit of the coast between Valencia and Malaga. Valencia was great, plenty to see and do and plenty of cycleways.

In Puerto Mazarron the campsite is great as is the port but it is a small seaside town and nothing much the westerly as the road gives way to a rough gravely track along the coast which looks too much of a challenge for a couple of septuagenarians to tackle with hybrid bikes to be honest. With the weather cloudy and a cool breeze its initial attraction has waned somewhat.

Beyond the Port there is major reconstruction going on as they extend the promenade so that was not an attractive route to follow but will no doubt be lovely in a year or two.

Indeed the road beyond the Erosion features is difficult for hybrid bike... especially those in their seventies....just a moment...we ride those trails....OK jumartoo is not quite there...but I'm in my third year...it's truly stunning for 4 or 5 KMs...then not so good...
Beyond the Prom which is being built up is very easy to bypass...and once at the Repsol garage the ride to La Azohia is another gem...a few ups and downs....
During the winter months Mazarron site is well occupied by many northern Europeans and every day a mass exodus of cyclist's off to the various restaurants in the Port...we also see many on the coastal route, either on foot or two wheels...
Any coastal location restricts your direction greatly..for this reason we live just 20 minutes inland...greater scope...
I'm sure we would soon get bored if we were on your site for a lengthy period...but many do the whole winter there..
So where next for yourselves....🤔

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Margaret is a very nervous cyclist who came back to it for these sort of holidays. She is afraid of road cycling and I’m not as gung-ho as I used to be having come off on the cinder track between Bovey Tracey and Moretonhampstead going too fast!

On Wednesday we are making a big leap to Camping Cabopino just beyond Malaga where we have another week then 4 days leisurely drive back to Santander for the ferry.

Thinking about stops at Cordoba, Toledo, Soria with another night to fit in somewhere.

We have already been to Seville, Avila, Segovia, Placencia so looking for a different way home and we came down through Cordoba and Zaragoza.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It rained overnight and is cloudy and a bit chilly today but we have had a trip to the Spar shop suggested by a fellow funster who came and introduced himself. He was quite right when he said if it hasn’t got it it does not exist! What an Aladdin’s cave! We are now at Oasis a tapas bar he also suggested which is popular and looks good. On the way we passed the famous wind weathered rocks of Bolnuevo.View attachment 887366
View attachment 887367
View attachment 887398
Love those sandstone rocks, we stopped there for a look last year, shame they have stopped overnighting.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Love those sandstone rocks, we stopped there for a look last year, shame they have stopped overnighting.
Got too many overnighters there Lenny...as did some other nearby locations... Mazarron have passed laws to ban overnight usage..however they are very weak in implementing the powers they have...
Three large Camperstops have been built and are seeing vast numbers of visitors...being Full for big periods during winter..

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Margaret is a very nervous cyclist who came back to it for these sort of holidays. She is afraid of road cycling and I’m not as gung-ho as I used to be having come off on the cinder track between Bovey Tracey and Moretonhampstead going too fast!

On Wednesday we are making a big leap to Camping Cabopino just beyond Malaga where we have another week then 4 days leisurely drive back to Santander for the ferry.

Thinking about stops at Cordoba, Toledo, Soria with another night to fit in somewhere.

We have already been to Seville, Avila, Segovia, Placencia so looking for a different way home and we came down through Cordoba and Zaragoza.
That should read Pamplona instead of Cordoba on the way down. Cordoba is down for a stop on the way back.

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Toledo...a must see...Soria...not sure, spent the best part of a week there following a accident. Pamplona...rode through on way to Santiago...lots of interest there..
We are saving City Visits until we are old, but not too old....
Being a Pensioner in Spain has some concessions, might put them to good use..
Enjoy the rest of you Spanish tour...shame we were not at home during your Mazarron stopover......we are enjoying a quiet period in Castile la Mancha...the flowers we see whilst out on our bikes are totally stunning...

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Toledo...a must see...Soria...not sure, spent the best part of a week there following a accident. Pamplona...rode through on way to Santiago...lots of interest there..
We are saving City Visits until we are old, but not too old....
Being a Pensioner in Spain has some concessions, might put them to good use..
Enjoy the rest of you Spanish tour...shame we were not at home during your Mazarron stopover......we are enjoying a quiet period in Castile la Mancha...the flowers we see whilst out on our bikes are totally stunning...

The flowers ...

DSCN8632~2.JPG
DSCN8535~2.JPG
DSCN8481~2.JPG
DSCN8583~2.JPG
DSCN8651~2.JPG

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Absolutely love poppies as we see so few wild ones nowadays!

No idea what the purple ones are but we came away just as our bluebells were coming into flower so missed them this year.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Absolutely love poppies as we see so few wild ones nowadays!

No idea what the purple ones are but we came away just as our bluebells were coming into flower so missed them this year.

There were/are more poppies here than we've ever seen. The purple ones are common (with sticky/spiky stems and I don't know the name). But for me, they are always a memory of Motorhome FUN's very own Purple Lady. Anthea M, gone but definitely not forgotten 🥰😥🥰 Definitely not forgotten by me 💜💜💜

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I understand a traditional Valencian paella is vegetables only, but I presume Bomba rice.

I only ever use Bomba rice, or Calasparra at a push if I cannot buy the Bomba, which rarely ever happens. I also always add prawns, chicken, chorizo & sometimes artichoke hearts with the peppers, onions & garlic. A recipe I I learned from our Spanish friends when living there 😋 They like to use rabbit.

Yours looks nice 😊
Original paella contained snails im led to believe .💡

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Original paella contained snails im led to believe .💡

In our early days of being members of Totana Orienteering Club, we always has a, just before Christmas, competition with a club lunch at a nearby bar/restaurant.

One year it was at a very rustic place. They only ever did meat over sliced potatoes (very tasty, I might say) or paella.

One year we were asked if we were OK eating paella with snails. Not a problem, we said. (There couldn't be that many in a portion). We didn't bank on all the kids lining up to donate all their snails to us 🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Lovely nice sunny weather for our last day here. Just been to pay the bill and worked out at €21 per day with my ACSI card which is really excellent value for a campsite compared to home. Hardstanding gravel pitch with on pitch fresh water and grey water waste for 2 people inc up to 7Kwh per day electric.
IMG_2696.jpeg

IMG_2695.jpeg

IMG_2697.jpeg

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Moved on today to Camping Cabopino between Malaga and Marbella. Lovely day! Travelled along the Mediterranean Motorway. Between the coastal populated strip and the mountains is nothing but greenhouses, mile after mile, hectare after hectare!
IMG_2715.jpeg

IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2708.jpeg

IMG_2699.jpeg

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Moved on today to Camping Cabopino between Malaga and Marbella. Lovely day! Travelled along the Mediterranean Motorway. Between the coastal populated strip and the mountains is nothing but greenhouses, mile after mile, hectare after hectare!View attachment 889641

View attachment 889639View attachment 889640

View attachment 889638
We saw that earlier in the year, fookin horrible and ugly but I guess we buy the tomatoes 🍅

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back