LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We are having a month in Spain looking for some sun and warmth with both of us fed up with all the rain at home!

Normally I run with the gas on for the fridge but decided on 12 volts to get to Plymouth and chill the fridge. Rough crossing to start with and I was looking out of a stern window from the restaurant looking alternately at sea one minute then sky the next as we ploughed through the swell on the Pont Aven.

Seas calmed down in the early morning so calm then to Santander. Arrived 2:30pm Brit time so 3:30pm in Spain. Back in the van to find no Hab Electrics! The 12 volt fridge was left on but I thought it was supposed to be off anyway when no engine/ignition on - well it seems I was wrong - 90% of 300 Amp hours of lithium gone in 22 hours. No water, lights, boiler/heater, radio, reversing camera, fridge, freezer, toilet flush etc! Panic!
We set off for Pamplona to let the B2B do its thing but come 11pm on the Aire in Pamplona still no CBE control unit - dead as a Dodo! Is this a repeat of my last CBE control panel problem! Went to bed but not much sleep worrying about it!
Next morning I find I can get EHU on the aire so plug in and 50 Amps start pouring into the batteries. I get the fridge off 12 volts and onto gas which obviously held us back last evening and night. We go off for a walk around town and when we get back everything has come alive again! Phew!
Driven to Zaragoza today and the sun and blue sky are out at last after as much rain over here as in the UK.
Only one niggle left which was that the N240 between Bilbao and Vitoria has been reclassified as a motorway but with no toll booths, you need a Go- Box and I haven’t got one! No doubt there will be a bill on the mat when we get home!

What a start to a holiday!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
IMG_2551.png

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
The idea of a toll go box system in Spain is completely new to me, especially as a country they are moving away from any toll roads but will then likely introduce an alternative vignette type charging system required by Brussels ☹️

Presumably it’s your weight dictating the go box, how did you discover this news and did you see what up to 3.5t vehicles could do to pay the toll.

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Only one niggle left which was that the N240 between Bilbao and Vitoria has been reclassified as a motorway but with no toll booths, you need a Go- Box and I haven’t got one! No doubt there will be a bill on the mat when we get home!

What a start to a holiday!
Very sorry for your troubles, hope you’re re-charged with power and sunlight very soon. How did you discover there is a toll road without booths? We’re passing through there in a couple of weeks - driving through France as we’re too chicken for the Bay of Biscay 🤮 Very interested/ concerned about your toll story. We’re 3.3 tons so maybe not caught??

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Very sorry for your troubles, hope you’re re-charged with power and sunlight very soon. How did you discover there is a toll road without booths? We’re passing through there in a couple of weeks - driving through France as we’re too chicken for the Bay of Biscay 🤮 Very interested/ concerned about your toll story. We’re 3.3 tons so maybe not caught??
Your driving on what you would recognise as an A road in UK, not even dual carriageway and, to me, suddenly there were big horizontal signs showing vans >3.5 tons and lorries with a big € sign. These then get followed by gantries over the road at regular intervals with the usual toll paraphernalia mounted on them. If you google the N240 you will see it was upgraded to motorway status last year!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Stopped at the Leclerc hypermarket in Pamplona. Their supermarkets put ours to shame with the range and quality of their products and produce! Here is a selection of legs of dried ham on offer
IMG_2549.jpeg

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We've only been back a week and I'm really missing it all. I love the supermarkets too. Glad to see the weather is improving.

Enjoying your thread!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Have previously been stitched up by Vodafone in my HUAWEI and Three Business on my phone for fair use policy so bought 2 Spanish Vodafone sims with 190 Gb data each and unlimited calls and texts for €40 each. One for my iPhone and one for my wife’s iPad. First time put a sim in an iPad and find it does not work like a phone. Fine for internet, WIFI etc but tried to FaceTime family at home and it won’t work as it requires the matched iPhone to be with the same sim provider! Never seen that in print to warn people

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Eventful trip...it's 19° today in Valdapenas...was 29° last week in Murcia
Good information about Toll road...
Spain may have U-turned in the reintroduction of increased tolls....

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Eventful trip...it's 19° today in Valdapenas...was 29° last week in Murcia
Good information about Toll road...
Spain may have U-turned in the reintroduction of increased tolls....
Satnav set to no toll roads but obviously did not know about the N240! Am I likely to incur a penalty or just get a bill to pay when we get home? Tried looking on line but all in Spanish and even went into the tourist info office in Pamplona but they could not help and Bilbao to Vitoria not their area. Happy to pay but how with no Go Box?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I imagine, but not 100% sure...that it's a toll for over 3.5,ton...will try and get some info..

Another idea...some N roads prohibit HGVs and force them to use Toll roads....Auto Pistas...

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

b) N-240 Tarragona - Bilbao (Barazar), from the intersection of El Gallo (KP 55,773) to la variante Ubidea (KP 23,050).

Tolls will apply to vehicles with a GVM above 3.5 tonnes and will be charged at two rates – for vehicles with a GVM of over 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 12 tonnes (category I) and vehicles with a GVM of 12 tonnes or more (category II). The rates will also depend on the EURO category of a given vehicle. Tolls will be collected electronically.

Jock.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

b) N-240 Tarragona - Bilbao (Barazar), from the intersection of El Gallo (KP 55,773) to la variante Ubidea (KP 23,050).

Tolls will apply to vehicles with a GVM above 3.5 tonnes and will be charged at two rates – for vehicles with a GVM of over 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 12 tonnes (category I) and vehicles with a GVM of 12 tonnes or more (category II). The rates will also depend on the EURO category of a given vehicle. Tolls will be collected electronically.

Jock.
That’s all fine and Dandy but does not explain what they will do if someone over 3.5 tons drives on their road without a tag/go box! There ought to be a way of paying online for say tourists with no Tag/GoBox

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
The ironical situation in Spain is that they don’t want toll roads anymore but my understanding is Brussels is insisting that they have some system of paying for the new roads, which I think EU paid for? I believed they were going to introduce a vignette system.

I did read about the changes to the N240 but couldn’t find any info on how to pay. A strange concept I did read was they intended to make the tolls not chargeable for such as you going to work, or home from work or to and from school! How will that be worked out you might ask. ☹️

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That’s all fine and Dandy but does not explain what they will do if someone over 3.5 tons drives on their road without a tag/go box! There ought to be a way of paying online for say tourists with no Tag/GoBox
I totally agree with you, but I couldn't find anything re payment. 🤷‍♂️

Chers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back