Dubrovnic

13-Split-Dubrovnic.png
By now it was the 18th May.
Guess what, it was raining again. We bombed it down the motorway even though the coastline is beautiful. When we got to the coast after the motorway it was a good decision as we would have seen nothing. What we did see was flooded fields.There had been floodings around this area as we had seen snippets on the news when we had been in the bars.
After the Yugoslav war they must have given all the countries a piece of the coast. Bosnia and Herzegovina got a small stretch right in the middle of Croatia before Dubrovnic. To avoid the border crossing Croatia have built a bridge from the mainland to and island then a new road through it and back over the the mainland. This was not on any of our sat navs, even google didn't seem to know about it.
The road is still being finished in places and service areas built. At the time we crossed it was free to all traffic.
I wish we had stopped to take some pictures of it as it was really impressive. More details here.
Sites around Dubrovnic are few and far between so we picked Camping Kate a few miles out of town. When we arrived it seemed badly organised, there was just spaces at the bottom of the site as the top was already full. Will and Sue are over 7.5 meters and they managed to squeeze on a pitch.
IMG_8337.JPG
I think it was about €30 with electric (€5 less for us as we don't really need it). The ACSI card did get us a couple of euros knocked off. The weather had brightened up but the campsite was at the top of the coast. Running along side it was a "stream". This was now a raging torrent with all the rain we had. It was very noisy but there is little choice if you want to visit Dubrovnic.
DSCF0120.JPG
You could get places closer but we had read there where issues with dogs on buses here. Usually we just put Sam in his bag and say nothing but only on short trips but I knew we could catch a boat from here into Dubrovnic so this swung it with this site.
From the site there is steep path down to the little village of Mlini. We walked down to try out the bars and look where we could catch the boat.
DSCF0124.JPGDSC_8094.JPG
There was someone selling tickets and we asked if we bought them we would be guaranteed a spot. She said yes but I very much doubt if it is true. The tickets can be bought from the site at the same price so not sure how that would work if everyone bought one on the site. Anyway she assured us Sam would be fine.
The next day we caught the boat nice and early, (9am?). Weather was nice and warm.
DSC_8099.JPG
Not far from Mlini was a large modern looking hotel that looked like it had been bombed.
DSC_8109.JPGIMG_8444.JPG

A local told us nearby was Tito's villa that had been targeted in the war.

IMG_8446.JPG
Tito's summer residence.
IMG_8447.JPG
This was the first time we had come across anything to do with the war.
As we neared Dubrovnic we caught site of the city.
DSC_8124.JPGDSC_8129.JPG
Once off the boat we headed in to the city.
DSC_8140.JPGDSC_8159.JPGDSC_8160.JPGDSC_8162.JPGDSC_8166.JPGDSC_8167.JPGDSC_8168.JPGDSC_8173.JPGDSC_8175.JPGDSC_8178.JPGDSC_8180.JPGDSC_8185.JPGDSC_8198.JPGDSC_8211.JPG
I was the only one among us that had seen Game of Thrones and the only bit I knew for certain was filmed there, was the steps in the walk of shame. It is a very small place. You can walk around the walls but they wanted €35 for the privilege. If you walked up the side streets they went up to the walls anyway.
Every shop seemed to sell GoT tat. The place was beautiful but seemed spoiled with shops and tourists all wanting the same selfie in the same place. You could tell the places that were in the show as they were full of tourists. If you want, you can take an organised GoT tour. We saw guides with folders containing photos from the show so you could stand in the right location as the actors.
Some of the other areas were quiet though and we found a nice bar that sold my new favourite beer Tomislav. It came in a nice glass and I went back into the bar and asked how much for the glass and he gave me one. Nice end to a nice day.

We stayed at Camping Kate at Mlini and caught the boat in to Dubrovnic.

More entries from Broko

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Journal entry information

Author
Broko
Read time
3 min read
Views
Last update

Share this entry

Direct Motorhome Services