LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Another box done. Only 7 big boxes to go until the first rough sort out is complete. I am quickly running out of space to put stuff.

Also made these #esthersquare blocks to put into a dementia blanket. I like the pattern so much I am going to work out how much yarn I'll need to make a bigger blanket.

IMG_20230616_164239.jpg

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Another box done. Only 7 big boxes to go until the first rough sort out is complete. I am quickly running out of space to put stuff.

Also made these #esthersquare blocks to put into a dementia blanket. I like the pattern so much I am going to work out how much yarn I'll need to make a bigger blanket.

View attachment 770110
They’re pretty.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The tidy up and sort continues. No boxes today but one of the desks is now clear so I have space to work. Photos of before and after.

Tomorrow someone is coming to collect two carrier bags of fabric offcuts.

At least three of the boxes left to do contain dress lengths of fabric and I was fascinated with the "No Waste" trousers on this week's sewing bee so might use some of the fabric I don't like too much to try to make a pair and see if I can work it out.

IMG_20230615_104215.jpg IMG_20230617_134458.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Another box done. Plus Martin is going to put two more shelves in the small wardrobe so my overlocker and little sewing machine can be put away out of sight.
Slowly getting things sorted. Both workbenches will be moved and separated but can be pushed back together if required. I will need to make a cover for the overlocker and for the Silhouette cutting machine which I haven't used yet. I only managed to download the software this morning so have a steep learning curve.
At least I have my mojo back for sewing and crochet. I have sewn nothing except face masks for 3 years - just couldn't do anything else. I also have a pile of mending from my son!!

Photos of before, after and the inside of the cupboard as it is now. The next box is fabric scraps and I think a lot will have to go to be pulped unless the lady coming for 2 bags of fabric pieces this afternoon wants more to sort through.

IMG_20230618_104734.jpg IMG_20230618_113720.jpg IMG_20230618_114924.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Query for all you wonderful crafty/sewing people, I have several tshirts that i really like, lightweight great for taking in the van no need to iron.
However they all have round necks, trimmed/finished off with the same material as the Ts. They are not tight but i really prefer a scoop, square or V neck. I know I knew when I bought them but they are tick all the boxes in other ways.
I do have a machine and can do very basic sewing, was thinking of buying white bias, they all have white in them and adjusting the neckline. Will post a photo of one so you know what I mean.
need to take the photo thoughimage.jpgimage.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
scotzsue I would mark the TS with the cutting line and sew the binding on place on the front face before cutting.

If you are using bias binding be aware that it won't stretch very much.

Good luck!!

I've left the boxes of fabric for the moment (they are under the desk so can't be seen) and have started on the boxes of family history stuff. When I started with family history over 30 years ago very little was online and visits to record offices and libraries was the only way to find out any information so I have boxes of print outs of items that are now available online so no need to keep the print outs of many of them. By sorting out these files and boxes I will free up space for the things from the craft boxes I am keeping.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Bought some bias today, it feels a bit rough, but will give it a go on my least favourite of the Ts not either of those pictured. If it works will get some, satin type, had thought of ribbon ironed and turned over, but am not that clever 😉
Took me years to discover the machine had a needle threader by which time i had broken it wondering why it didn't cut the thread 🤣

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Bought some bias today, it feels a bit rough, but will give it a go on my least favourite of the Ts not either of those pictured. If it works will get some, satin type, had thought of ribbon ironed and turned over, but am not that clever 😉
Took me years to discover the machine had a needle threader by which time i had broken it wondering why it didn't cut the thread 🤣
What about stretchy lace? You could fold it in half so it doesn’t look like you took it off a pair of knickers 🤭

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
It’s worth having a go at making your own bias binding , I find that most of the bias available is a bit rough.

Otherwise you could use fold over lingerie elastic. Or you can get jersey bias binding , or crochet edge bias binding .

Somewhere like Minerva often has a good selection .

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Christmas in July!!!!

My latest card - just a downloaded design as I bought myself one of those cutting machines and it's a steep learning curve but I am happy with how this turned out - looking from the front and from the top.

IMG_20230714_163245.jpgIMG_20230714_163254.jpg

It folds flat for postage and has a hanger. It's a 4 inch globe (excluding hanger) but I know how to re-size to make it larger - I just have to be aware of sizes to go in envelopes for postage. Smaller would be too fiddly to assemble even using tweezers (which I needed in places for this card).

Martin thinks the inner bits need to be coloured so I am trying that next but I quite like the elegant understated white. Martin also wants to make a stand for it and a battery powered diode so it will light from the inside.

I've cut 6 sets of rings and inners to take away with me (off to Norway soon for a luxury holiday) and I will see how I like the coloured inserts. I am even thinking it would look good with silver and / or gold on the edges. If I get chance I may cut some more sets in plain white to take away with me as I can always hand colour. I need 8 cards (plus 3 for grandsons) for close family so hope I can make some that are not too shabby.

This one was made with cheap card from The Works (135 gsm) but I think it needs a heavier card so have bought some 170 (?) gsm and will get 200 gsm or 250 gsm if necessary. It's all trial and error at the moment. The Works card varies in colour from pack to pack - that globe has a blue tinge but the newer card is more of a yellow. I like the blue tinge better.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Puddleduck From what I can see, it looks very technical but lovely and very effective. Is that a Cricut machine that you refer to? I like the idea of card making, but I just don't have the creative mind for it....as well as being colour blind :rolleyes:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Puddleduck From what I can see, it looks very technical but lovely and very effective. Is that a Cricut machine that you refer to? I like the idea of card making, but I just don't have the creative mind for it....as well as being colour blind :rolleyes:
Fiddly rather than technical. Each piece has a number cut in a hidden place and you just have to follow the assembly order and make sure each piece is locked in place before you attempt to put the next piece in. I found it easiest to stack up the pieces in the order they were required so I didn't get mixed up. And remember it is only cheap cardstock, nothing fancy so if it all ends up in the recycle bin no tears!

It's a Silhouette Cameo 4 machine. I looked at Cricut but they need a constant internet connection and I also looked at Brother ScanNcut. Our internet can be iffy at times so I ruled out the Cricut. I also have a die cutting machine that cost me the grand total of £8 plus commission at auction. Bargain!

The Brother doesn't need a PC / laptop so it was a bit of a toss up as to which to get as both have advantages and disadvantages. In the end I went for the Silhouette as it was cheaper to buy initially, would take larger media (up to 12 inches square rather than just A4) and the software was said to be more advanced, plus there is a big library of designs ready just to download. The Brother accessories are also a lot more expensive and not so easily obtained.

I am still not sure that I got the machine that was best for me but am playing around with the machine. I am taking my laptop on holiday with me along with the software manual so I can have an hour a day learning - although a lot is familiar from my 3D printing design software and, further back, from when I used to teach adults the basics of photo editing and restoration. It's mostly just finding out where menus are hidden in various toolbars and if there is anything I would like that isn't in the basic software but might be available in one of the paid for versions. Also do I already have software that will do what I want and can be imported into Studio and sent to the cutting machine!

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
One of my current Wips :rolleyes: is a mosaic crochet called Beside the seaside by Rosina Plane. I've always thought they were too technical for me but it is so easy. I'm hooked on it. I'll try and share a pic later....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
A card made for my sister-in-law's birthday in early November......... It's an "explosion" card as the inside pops out when it is opened - but the photos aren't that good. The front is sort of 3D as the flowers and butterfly are several layers of card. The next card has to be a fishing theme card for brother-in-law. I am thinking of making a fisherman on the front with his line going through a hole in the card (pond?) and attached to a fish or an old boot inside. Not sure he would get the humour though.

I am finishing off the shawl Mum wants for her Christmas present. We chose the wool (pure Merino) and pattern together but she can't remember and keeps asking me what colour it is and is it a lacy pattern!

I have a full 50gm ball left (cream) so have ordered a grey, dark grey and black to make the same pattern shawl for myself. The pattern is fiddly (Wild Swan, free on Ravelry) but rewarding.

Rhoda 23 front.jpg Rhoda 23 inside 1.jpg Rhoda 23 inside 2.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The next card has to be a fishing theme card for brother-in-law. I am thinking of making a fisherman on the front with his line going through a hole in the card (pond?) and attached to a fish or an old boot inside. Not sure he would get the humour though.
Not sure of brother-in-law would like it but a card with a fisherman by a lake and the line going through the front of the card / pond so that inside there is a dangling fish on the end of the line and a big shark type mouth about to eat the little fish!!!!

That will be a challenge to make!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Mum's shawl finished (well the knitting part is) and I am busy blocking it. I have taken photos of before and after blocking so you can see why it is so important for lace knitting.

I really like the knitpro interchangeable needles - because of the way they are made and assembled they are very versatile (but read the instructions and tighten them up correctly and check frequently or the tips will detach at the worst possible time) - you can use them as circular needles or attach a cord and stopper to each point to make more traditional needles. I have mine in a pencil case so easy to carry round and don't take much space. As the final row of Mum's shawl was over 500 stitches a circular needle was pretty much the only way to do it.

I like the metal tips not the acrylic - I have managed to snap both acrylic and wooden tips :( (by sitting on them).

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Lisa That is brilliant. Such fun. I haven't tried mosaic crochet but the results I have seen on other forums are very effective.

I'm still on a stash blanket inspired by fibre spider (You Tube) spike granny stitch.

What's everyone else working on. Christmas things????

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Mum's Wild Swan shawl.

As yet I have not managed to transfer the photos of the blocking in progress from my phone!

I like the pattern so much and had a ball of wool left over so bought more of the same yarn to make the pattern for myself shading from creamy white to black.

IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2132.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back