OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Hello Helen Puddleduck

I was so completely taken aback by your news of Lizzie I forgot to comment on your physio treatment. Are you on a series of appointments with the physio and do you have any idea when you might get the shoe insert? That does sound more positive.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hello Helen Puddleduck

I was so completely taken aback by your news of Lizzie I forgot to comment on your physio treatment. Are you on a series of appointments with the physio and do you have any idea when you might get the shoe insert? That does sound more positive.
Lizzie died last night. We were expecting it but still devastated as you can imagine.

Physio is a series of appointments - Victoria
comes to the house as I can't drive at the moment of course. I have no idea of time scales but it is an urgent referral.

Last edited:

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Hello you lovely people can I ask for your help please. I like making French jackets and want to make my own trim using the crochet method below as a base.
I can't crochet but am quick to pick up craft methods.
Could someone please help me understand the instructions that I have been given. It should look like a ladder when finished for weaving ribbon and threads through. Thanks in advance.

I used a silver metallic yarn for the base of the trim. Using a D hook, chain the desired length. Turn and make a double crochet in the fourth stitch from the hook. Chain 1 stitch. Repeat this pattern (double crochet, chain 1) in every other stitch.
1683392884471.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hello you lovely people can I ask for your help please. I like making French jackets and want to make my own trim using the crochet method below as a base.
I can't crochet but am quick to pick up craft methods.
Could someone please help me understand the instructions that I have been given. It should look like a ladder when finished for weaving ribbon and threads through. Thanks in advance.

I used a silver metallic yarn for the base of the trim. Using a D hook, chain the desired length. Turn and make a double crochet in the fourth stitch from the hook. Chain 1 stitch. Repeat this pattern (double crochet, chain 1) in every other stitch.
View attachment 749116
Have a look on Youtube for a tutorial. Note that ’double crochet’ in your instructions is the USA term. In England it will be a ‘treble crochet’.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Excellent Janine , the stitching looks easy for me to deal with, am I correct that my chain to start with has to be long enough to go around the jacket I cannot make it longer once I have started the picking up stitch bit.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The only way to make it wider would be to add an edging when you are finished

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Oh no, now your speaking in a foreign language. I have no pattern just making a big long ladder as in first picture, what are foundation chains?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
This is the type of braid I hope to turn out. Will hunt out a hook this week, thanks for your help and patience.

View attachment 749247
That looks lovely but won't it make a very heavy garment that might sag out of shape unless a lightweight yarn is used or the garment is lined / supported? I'd hate you to spend ages making and then find it doesn't work when you wear it.

As a very general rule I use the hook that corresponds with the thickness of the yarn so for DK I would use a 4, 4.5 or 5 mm hook. For thicker yarn a bigger hook size. Aran needs between a 5, 5.5 or 6 mm hook. Chunky even bigger but that would make a very heavy garment. I tend to keep to DK or lighter weight yarn for crochet garments. A bigger hook on finer wool would make the garment lighter but the base mesh quite loose - although that might be what you want.

You will probably need to make a few test pieces / samples to get it correct.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Oh no, now your speaking in a foreign language. I have no pattern just making a big long ladder as in first picture, what are foundation chains?
Hi, when I first started learning crochet I found Bella Coco tutorials extremely helpful. Sarah-Jayne is a very good teacher, shows techniques clearly in her videos and even shows left and right handed versions.

Take a look 😊 https://blog.bellacococrochet.com/absolute-beginners-crochet/

When I’m working with DK (double knit) yarn, I tend to use a 3.5mm or 4mm hook. Not only does it depend on the thickness of tarn, but it also depends on your tension.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your work.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Well the unfinished crochet "Under the Sea" is now in a black bin bag and may be disposed of......

Our friend's dog used to drag it around and then make a nest from it but Martin has developed an allergy to the dog (he knew he was allergic to other types of dog and cats but had been okay with Zippee) so I bagged the work up and will have to make a decision as to if it is safe to wash, dry and finish it or would it be better just chucked.

Unfortunately the dog can no longer come into the house :( and he thinks he has done something wrong and is in trouble :(

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Well the unfinished crochet "Under the Sea" is now in a black bin bag and may be disposed of......

Our friend's dog used to drag it around and then make a nest from it but Martin has developed an allergy to the dog (he knew he was allergic to other types of dog and cats but had been okay with Zippee) so I bagged the work up and will have to make a decision as to if it is safe to wash, dry and finish it or would it be better just chucked.

Unfortunately the dog can no longer come into the house :( and he thinks he has done something wrong and is in trouble :(
Can you bear to give the blanket to the dog?

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I promised you frogs. They don't pose very well because they don't have quite enough stuffing (lentils). I showed them to my group yesterday and they thought they would make good twiddle things for dementia patients. Perhaps I have potential for a new career.

IMG_20230512_122027_HDR.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back