Channel Tunnel Cost Increase (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
As I may have explained before, due to my boys' disabilities, we need the certainty of booking and reserving everything before we cross the water. I don't want to re-hash the "That's not proper motorhoming" argument, so roll with me!

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks, I have been booking sites for our summer 3 weeks. OMG, but it is so much more expensive than last year. Admittedly, we always go for the premium sites with activities that my boys would enjoy (mainly posh swimming pools with slides and/or a beach), but even so, if I told you the per night cost of one particular site, none of you would ever speak to me again, out of sheer disgust at our profligacy in these economically tight times.

Anyway, all booked and deposits paid. Off to the Channel Tunnel website to book crossings. Get in early.

I should explain, we have a 7.15m, 3500kg moho. There are 4 of us so we can easily go overweight. Some of you will be outraged, but I have no problem going a tad over, because I know that the bus is safe, having bigger tyres and rear semi air. Therefore it is safe up to 3850kg, pending paying someone a couple of hundred quid to do the admin (Mrs DDJC can't drive >3500kg, although I can)

So we attach a little trailer. A titchy, narrow, unbraked spud of a thing, but it allows us to be legal. And this where I got the shock of my life on the tunnel website. Bear in mind that we can only go in August, during the school holidays - there is no alternative.

To get our motorhome under the water to France, costs a preposterous £276. Even if we had a 9m moho, it would there or thereabouts.
BUT, as soon as you add our 2m long trailer, the cost goes to ...

£620 !!!! ONE WAY!!!!!!!
There is no consideration on trailer size. If you have one shorter than 4.5m, it more than doubles the cost. Yet if we booked a motorhome with a total length that is longer that my moho+trailer, it is less than £300,

But that isn't the worst of it. For the return journey, the moho only cost is a scary £300.
But if you add a trailer, and you won't believe it, the cost goes to ....

£1030 for ONE EFFING WAY!

Try it. Get the price yourselves. I have tried several times, and it is the same. Last year we were getting crossing costs with trailer of £300, which is heavy, but affordable in the context of a three week family trip.

So I guess I am asking a few questions.
We could use the Dover Calais ferry, but I haven't used it for years and years. Can anyone tell me, from arrival at Dover to driving off at Calais, takes how long?
Is there any other way that you can book the tunnel without being royally shafted? I am going to talk to the Tunnel and plead my case about trailer size.
We could cut down the weight a little and pack it in, but I reckon we would still be over. How much over do you go, assuming you are confident that you are legal?
Any other weird or useful suggestions.

Thanks all,

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I've just booked Newhaven - Dieppe for August and now reading this I'm worried. I've always used the tunnel but the pricing like this thread shows has gone to the dogs.

What was the issue with the crossing?

Also being nosey what sites did you book for your wine tour?

Don't be put off the Newhaven - Dieppe route. I am simply saying that we didn't like it. Others love it.

I exaggerated about it being a wine tour! For our boys it will feel like it is a swimming pool/beach tour that just happens to be in our favourite wine areas!! Everybody happy!!

Lac du Orient
Les Rives de l'Aygues
Le Calorgogo
Voraparc
Le Pavillon Royal (the most ridiculously expensive site I have ever booked, by a mile)
Le Port du Limeuil
Chateau de Chanteloup

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't want to put anyone off using it. It was not good, specifically for us. Others have said that it is great. Horses for courses.

We arrived at the port at about ten PM (it is only 75 mins away from home). There was no one about. The quay was poorly lit and felt just unwelcoming. There is nothing to do so we all stayed in the bus. Embarking was erie. We weren't directed on. We just followed the guy in front. No body about. Finally, a fluorescent guy appeared and waved us to within a couple of inches of the moho in front. He wasn't even watching.

Anyway, on we went. Got our cabin ticket. The cabin was small but fine, except that it hadn't been cleaned. There was litter around, and the bedding smelt of someone else.

Lastly, the effing tannoy announcements at one and half four in the morning about the restauarant and shop opening and closing were ridiculous. We all got only about 3 hours sleep so for us, it wasn't good.

I know it is the cheapest crossing, but I think there is a reason it is the cheapest.
You said you were going to ring the tunnel yesterday, did you get any sense out of them?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Updating the MH is something you could consider even though it would mean only you can drive it. You'd save nearly the whole cost of doing so on cheaper road tax (only £165).

Is this a realistic option for you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Updating the MH is something you could consider even though it would mean only you can drive it. You'd save nearly the whole cost of doing so on cheaper road tax (only £165).

Is this a realistic option for you?

Exactly right Mel. Mrs DDJC has a post 1997 licence. However, there is this Dept of Transport consultation about scrapping the 1997 licence 7500kg/3500kg weights anomaly; the results of which are due soon. The industry has cautiously said that the Govt has said that if the consultation is positive, then a change could be introduced into law this year. We can wait!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We can wait!
Why wait? As you want to book the crossings now you could do so as if it was at the higher weight thus without the trailer and if the law isn't going to be changed in time then actually change the weight officially or amend the booking to add a trailer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Why wait? As you want to book the crossings now you could do so as if it was at the higher weight thus without the trailer and if the law isn't going to be changed in time then actually change the weight officially or amend the booking to add a trailer.
Sorry, I meant wait before we consider uplating the moho!!! I will have all our travel booked by the end of the week including trailer.

Like us all, we have spent time, money and love on personalising our bus. It is exactly right for us (apart from the lack of a 9 speed auto box!) and we love it as it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Actually, it might be cheaper to do without the trailer, and buy all the extra camping kit when you arrive in France from one of the big retailers like Decathlon. The risk of being stopped and weighed in France seems very small. You may have seen visibly overloaded French Camping Cars - quite common apparently.
We got stopped and weighed by the police last time we were in France.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We got stopped and weighed by the police last time we were in France.

It makes a change from being stopped and breathalysed by the Gendarmes on a Sunday afternoon. I suspect some of them single out les GiBis.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
DDJC have you tried an online booking using a new device and outwith your usual account as Jo662 and I suggested? It may be the case that your ‘loyalty’ is being subjected to the same shenanigans that plagued the insurance industry before the playing field was levelled by the regulator.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
DDJC have you tried an online booking using a new device and outwith your usual account as Jo662 and I suggested? It may be the case that your ‘loyalty’ is being subjected to the same shenanigans that plagued the insurance industry before the playing field was levelled by the regulator.
Also are you checking that it is not defaulting to the higher tariff that lets you change your booking?

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We could use the Dover Calais ferry, but I haven't used it for years and years. Can anyone tell me, from arrival at Dover to driving off at Calais, takes how long?
Is there any other way that you can book the tunnel without being royally shafted? I am going to talk to the Tunnel and plead my case about trailer size.
We could cut down the weight a little and pack it in, but I reckon we would still be over. How much over do you go, assuming you are confident that you are legal?
Any other weird or useful suggestions.

Thanks all,

Crossing takes 1 hour 30 mins (although im practice ususally less.

They say arrive 1 hour before for passport checks, possible customs and check in/boarding

Leaving the other end is usually very quick - no stopping/checks so 10 mins from boat to motorway.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Exactly right Mel. Mrs DDJC has a post 1997 licence. However, there is this Dept of Transport consultation about scrapping the 1997 licence 7500kg/3500kg weights anomaly; the results of which are due soon. The industry has cautiously said that the Govt has said that if the consultation is positive, then a change could be introduced into law this year. We can wait!
My understanding is they are not dropping but expanding, has we are no longer under the EU legislation, so going back to pre 1997 Licence, at the moment the Department for Transport and government are seeking opinions on reverting to these ‘grandfather rights’.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I've given this a go but no difference. Tried it on my Eurotunnel account, without account and on a number of devices on differing IP addresses, all with the same result. Eurotunnel probably use 'dynamic' pricing like airlines (more that book the more expensive it gets) but I can't see visiting and re-visiting is making a difference, maybe I've missed something. What I can see is that since I made our summer booking on 6th December prices have already gone up by just over 5% as of today.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Leaving the other end is usually very quick - no stopping/checks so 10 mins from boat to motorway.
Not always. On the Dunkirk exit they have now installed huge steel gates that are shut except when boats are unloading.A short distance in front there is a customs/border office. I was first off the boat on the way home last year & the gates were still shut.I had to wait for them to open.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
DDJC I was wondering if the members on here, trying your travel dates, have created 'false' demand in their system which has raised the price.
I remember many years ago I was travelling with a party of 11 friends to visit Paris and Euro-Disney. Four of the wives took it upon themselves, unknown to the others, to call Ryanair for the best price to fly from Prestwick. They all came back with different prices, the cheapest being the first to call and the considerably most expensive coming from the last to call.
After all getting together we decided not to book until we were all certain to get the time off work.
Two weeks later we called and were quoted the cheapest price, which we accepted (y) Just a thought

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference
Exp
26 years on and off
I know you must already know this, but have you got any Tesco points to use for the booking?
Also we always book a late crossing out and an early crossing back,as we used to have frequent traveller,and is always cheaper.
Yes Tesco vouchers worth 3 times their face value. Check price on eurotunnel then go to Tesco website for vouchers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
OKAY!

The definitive advice from Eurotunnel.

A couple of you have already suggested this, so this will validate your genius :smiley: :smiley:

Eurotunnel charge for the actual length that you take up, not whether you have a detachable trailer. BUT BUT BUT, it is weighted against the traveller, because of the length brackets they use. So, a 5.5m moho towing a 1.8m trailer (7.3m) pays the same as an 8m moho towing a 4.5m trailer (12.5m). They agreed that this was barmy.

Their suggestion was that because it is just about total length, I should book a motorhome of more than 8m without a trailer. For the dates/times I need, this now means that the price drops to:

£245 out and £334 back!

Still more expensive than ferries, but infinitely better than what I was originally being quoted.
I am going to change my stored vehicle details to reflect that our bus is now, magically 9m long!

Add Tesco vouchers and we are now no long sailing, but tunnelling again.

I asked about the Motorhome/Commercial van thing and apparently it is law rather then their pricing policy. It doesn't make any difference if you are under 3500kg. If over, then ensure that you tick the option that says that you are a motorhome, especially if you are a PVC.

Thanks everyone for the advice, hope this helps you as well.

Upvote 0

carlfitter

Free Member
Dec 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mclouis TandyPlus 04
A possibly bigger issue will be the changes in checking passports which is expected to take about 2 minutes per person. That’s eight minutes extra for you which doesn’t sound extreme but add all the eight minutes together and this is likely to cause chaos - especially at peak times. Having spent nine hours in Calais last August trying to get through the ferry port I would go with the tunnel as they are much more automated and more likely to have the lesser delays (but not certain). I know people who fly to France for holidays and take very little luggage - what they save on flight costs they use to buy clothes and kit in France. Is this a possibility? Don’t take stuff to save space, drop the trailer and then use your savings buy things in France. We always come back heavier than when we leave!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
OKAY!

The definitive advice from Eurotunnel.

A couple of you have already suggested this, so this will validate your genius :smiley: :smiley:

Eurotunnel charge for the actual length that you take up, not whether you have a detachable trailer. BUT BUT BUT, it is weighted against the traveller, because of the length brackets they use. So, a 5.5m moho towing a 1.8m trailer (7.3m) pays the same as an 8m moho towing a 4.5m trailer (12.5m). They agreed that this was barmy.

Their suggestion was that because it is just about total length, I should book a motorhome of more than 8m without a trailer. For the dates/times I need, this now means that the price drops to:

£245 out and £334 back!

Still more expensive than ferries, but infinitely better than what I was originally being quoted.
I am going to change my stored vehicle details to reflect that our bus is now, magically 9m long!

Add Tesco vouchers and we are now no long sailing, but tunnelling again.

I asked about the Motorhome/Commercial van thing and apparently it is law rather then their pricing policy. It doesn't make any difference if you are under 3500kg. If over, then ensure that you tick the option that says that you are a motorhome, especially if you are a PVC.

Thanks everyone for the advice, hope this helps you as well.
That's brilliant mate, and good on you for persavereing , you never know it might lead to a change of policy and wording on the site and save loads of people a substantial amount of money. (y) .

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Did try the ferry once but not for us. It’s a no brainer using the Chunnel as we are Tesco shoppers and have always travelled free using vouchers. 🚍🚍🚍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
A possibly bigger issue will be the changes in checking passports which is expected to take about 2 minutes per person. That’s eight minutes extra for you which doesn’t sound extreme but add all the eight minutes together and this is likely to cause chaos - especially at peak times. Having spent nine hours in Calais last August trying to get through the ferry port I would go with the tunnel as they are much more automated and more likely to have the lesser delays (but not certain). I know people who fly to France for holidays and take very little luggage - what they save on flight costs they use to buy clothes and kit in France. Is this a possibility? Don’t take stuff to save space, drop the trailer and then use your savings buy things in France. We always come back heavier than when we leave!

Flying?!

Sounds completely unnatural to me. If god had meant us to fly, he would blah blah blah.

No, flying is something we don't do.
I hate flying but I will do it if I have to.
Mrs DDJC is fine with flying.
#1 son ADORES flying, but goes berserk when he has to get off the plane at the destination.
#2 son just goes berserk if you even mention airplanes (he is that screamy kid who you wish would just shut the hell up and think, why don't his bloody parents get some manners on him ... because you don't know he is disabled).

Add in that they are flying disease test tubes, nope. We don't fly.
We thought ... get a motorhome! And it works for us. Our boys love it.

Anyway, we are now booked and paid for, motorhome plus trailer, two trips, one over Whitsun and one in the summer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
That's brilliant mate, and good on you for persavereing , you never know it might lead to a change of policy and wording on the site and save loads of people a substantial amount of money. (y) .

Cheers Chaser, although I am worried that I may have effed it up and they find new ways to screw the poor motorhomer.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Cheers Chaser, although I am worried that I may have effed it up and they find new ways to screw the poor motorhomer.
Don't think so, on the whole they are pretty decent, and there to help any way they can but in the end they have to make a profit.
But as you have shown up there are things that could be better.
Edit. And in fact they are very good with motorhomes on size as opposed to what you would have to pay for freight

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I wouldn't call it free, you do have to spend money in Tesco, I suppose it's ok if one does shop there.
Good point, but if you also have a Tesco Bank credit card you pick up points every time you use it. We use our Tesco credit cards for everything and by that I mean everything be it a 50p bread roll, half an hours parking to a new kitchen 5 years ago. We use them more like a debit card and pay off the balance every few days or so. I reckon on average we get 2-3 tunnel crossings every year from club card points.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Good point, but if you also have a Tesco Bank credit card you pick up points every time you use it. We use our Tesco credit cards for everything and by that I mean everything be it a 50p bread roll, half an hours parking to a new kitchen 5 years ago. We use them more like a debit card and pay off the balance every few days or so. I reckon on average we get 2-3 tunnel crossings every year from club card points.

That's certainly made me think about our spending, as we have never used credit cards, maybe it's time, thank you.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back