Channel Tunnel Cost Increase (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
As I may have explained before, due to my boys' disabilities, we need the certainty of booking and reserving everything before we cross the water. I don't want to re-hash the "That's not proper motorhoming" argument, so roll with me!

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks, I have been booking sites for our summer 3 weeks. OMG, but it is so much more expensive than last year. Admittedly, we always go for the premium sites with activities that my boys would enjoy (mainly posh swimming pools with slides and/or a beach), but even so, if I told you the per night cost of one particular site, none of you would ever speak to me again, out of sheer disgust at our profligacy in these economically tight times.

Anyway, all booked and deposits paid. Off to the Channel Tunnel website to book crossings. Get in early.

I should explain, we have a 7.15m, 3500kg moho. There are 4 of us so we can easily go overweight. Some of you will be outraged, but I have no problem going a tad over, because I know that the bus is safe, having bigger tyres and rear semi air. Therefore it is safe up to 3850kg, pending paying someone a couple of hundred quid to do the admin (Mrs DDJC can't drive >3500kg, although I can)

So we attach a little trailer. A titchy, narrow, unbraked spud of a thing, but it allows us to be legal. And this where I got the shock of my life on the tunnel website. Bear in mind that we can only go in August, during the school holidays - there is no alternative.

To get our motorhome under the water to France, costs a preposterous £276. Even if we had a 9m moho, it would there or thereabouts.
BUT, as soon as you add our 2m long trailer, the cost goes to ...

£620 !!!! ONE WAY!!!!!!!
There is no consideration on trailer size. If you have one shorter than 4.5m, it more than doubles the cost. Yet if we booked a motorhome with a total length that is longer that my moho+trailer, it is less than £300,

But that isn't the worst of it. For the return journey, the moho only cost is a scary £300.
But if you add a trailer, and you won't believe it, the cost goes to ....

£1030 for ONE EFFING WAY!

Try it. Get the price yourselves. I have tried several times, and it is the same. Last year we were getting crossing costs with trailer of £300, which is heavy, but affordable in the context of a three week family trip.

So I guess I am asking a few questions.
We could use the Dover Calais ferry, but I haven't used it for years and years. Can anyone tell me, from arrival at Dover to driving off at Calais, takes how long?
Is there any other way that you can book the tunnel without being royally shafted? I am going to talk to the Tunnel and plead my case about trailer size.
We could cut down the weight a little and pack it in, but I reckon we would still be over. How much over do you go, assuming you are confident that you are legal?
Any other weird or useful suggestions.

Thanks all,

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I just checked again this morning and it comes up the same. 7.15 moho and trailer under 4.5m. Total more than £1650
What am I doing wrong? I've used the tunnel for years and never had this?

Edit, I've just done it again (again) and the costs have dropped to £446 out, and £609 return. £1055. Still ridiculous, so I am going on the boat.
I just did a dummy booking and got £694, still a lot and better value on Ferry.

1672572107454.png

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I just checked again this morning and it comes up the same. 7.15 moho and trailer under 4.5m. Total more than £1650
What am I doing wrong? I've used the tunnel for years and never had this?

Edit, I've just done it again (again) and the costs have dropped to £446 out, and £609 return. £1055. Still ridiculous, so I am going on the boat.
You either need to clear your cookies or use another laptop/tablet to get the lower prices. Every time you look it will get higher generally.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
An alternative to folding trailer is a thule 936 (not sure about number) rack . Albeit with a much reduced payload. Again journey down with rack on ,remove in carpark. T

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Increased its quad tripled and times 10000000000.

Caravan and car end May return early June £1500.00, just the car £700.00 and that’s two adults and one dog.

And it’s just as expensive if not more by the ferry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not trying to be funny, but are you all sure you are looking at the actual tunnel site and not some third party and putting in motorhome not van, because on the figures I have been looking at and screen shoting on here I don't think they are hardly any more than we paid last year.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
My tunnel costs do not show any sudden rise; indeed this years bookings are both cheaper than 2021 and 2022.
Just looked back at my records for tunnel with 6.7m coachbuilt.
7 Sep to 1 Oct 21 £340.
4 Oct to 23 Oct 22 £343.
9 May to 6 Jun 23 £299.
6 Sep to 3 Oct 23 £249.
All journeys mid week. Outwards mid afternoon. Returns all lunchtime. Price is before using Tesco Vouchers.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My tunnel costs do not show any sudden rise; indeed this years bookings are both cheaper than 2021 and 2022.
7 Sep to 1 Oct 21 £340.
4 Oct to 23 Oct 22 £343.
9 May to 6 Jun 23 £299.
6 Sep to 3 Oct 23 £249.
All journeys mid week. Outwards mid afternoon. Returns all lunchtime. Price is before using Tesco Vouchers.
My findings as well as my previous post (y) in fact I was quite surprised that I didn't think they had risen much at all.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
As I may have explained before, due to my boys' disabilities, we need the certainty of booking and reserving everything before we cross the water. I don't want to re-hash the "That's not proper motorhoming" argument, so roll with me!

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks, I have been booking sites for our summer 3 weeks. OMG, but it is so much more expensive than last year. Admittedly, we always go for the premium sites with activities that my boys would enjoy (mainly posh swimming pools with slides and/or a beach), but even so, if I told you the per night cost of one particular site, none of you would ever speak to me again, out of sheer disgust at our profligacy in these economically tight times.

Anyway, all booked and deposits paid. Off to the Channel Tunnel website to book crossings. Get in early.

I should explain, we have a 7.15m, 3500kg moho. There are 4 of us so we can easily go overweight. Some of you will be outraged, but I have no problem going a tad over, because I know that the bus is safe, having bigger tyres and rear semi air. Therefore it is safe up to 3850kg, pending paying someone a couple of hundred quid to do the admin (Mrs DDJC can't drive >3500kg, although I can)

So we attach a little trailer. A titchy, narrow, unbraked spud of a thing, but it allows us to be legal. And this where I got the shock of my life on the tunnel website. Bear in mind that we can only go in August, during the school holidays - there is no alternative.

To get our motorhome under the water to France, costs a preposterous £276. Even if we had a 9m moho, it would there or thereabouts.
BUT, as soon as you add our 2m long trailer, the cost goes to ...

£620 !!!! ONE WAY!!!!!!!
There is no consideration on trailer size. If you have one shorter than 4.5m, it more than doubles the cost. Yet if we booked a motorhome with a total length that is longer that my moho+trailer, it is less than £300,

But that isn't the worst of it. For the return journey, the moho only cost is a scary £300.
But if you add a trailer, and you won't believe it, the cost goes to ....

£1030 for ONE EFFING WAY!

Try it. Get the price yourselves. I have tried several times, and it is the same. Last year we were getting crossing costs with trailer of £300, which is heavy, but affordable in the context of a three week family trip.

So I guess I am asking a few questions.
We could use the Dover Calais ferry, but I haven't used it for years and years. Can anyone tell me, from arrival at Dover to driving off at Calais, takes how long?
Is there any other way that you can book the tunnel without being royally shafted? I am going to talk to the Tunnel and plead my case about trailer size.
We could cut down the weight a little and pack it in, but I reckon we would still be over. How much over do you go, assuming you are confident that you are legal?
Any other weird or useful suggestions.

Thanks all,
Looking at it from another perspective, what are you carrying that takes your load over 3500kg? Are there ways to cut your load, even if it means buying stuff on your travels and discarding it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Not trying to be funny, but are you all sure you are looking at the actual tunnel site and not some third party and putting in motorhome not van, because on the figures I have been looking at and screen shoting on here I don't think they are hardly any more than we paid last year.

Sadly yeah. I have an account with the Tunnel and go through that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Looking at it from another perspective, what are you carrying that takes your load over 3500kg? Are there ways to cut your load, even if it means buying stuff on your travels and discarding it?

I could leave my 6' 5" autistic eldest behind, but he would be pretty peed off ...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
7 Sep to 1 Oct 21 £340.
4 Oct to 23 Oct 22 £343.
9 May to 6 Jun 23 £299.
6 Sep to 3 Oct 23 £249.

Try August, and a trailer and Sat/Sun travel days. I have no option to change these.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
We to are limited to school holidays due to my wife’s job.
motorhome up to 8m no trailer but two dogs, £360 return .
Even when we had been planning to go mid August it wasn’t much dearer, that’s just into first week in September

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I think some of you think I am fibbing!!!
(or stupid!!)

Bear in mind that I can't shift any of the parameters:

1672580312204.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Cannot see how you can get any better than driving on the train and driving off?
Completely agree.
But the price difference is six hundred quid. The ferry will take about 45 mins extra going over and 45 back. Six hundred sheets buys a lot of wine ...

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Completely agree.
But the price difference is six hundred quid. The ferry will take about 45 mins extra going over and 45 back. Six hundred sheets buys a lot of wine ...
Agreed about cost but I cannot see where he is thinking that the ferry is a better loading experience?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think some of you think I am fibbing!!!
(or stupid!!)

Bear in mind that I can't shift any of the parameters:

View attachment 701719
I don't dispute what you say but I just can't get your figures, I have tried with a trailer now and admittedly the times might be slightly out but this is what I get on your dates and with a trailer.
Screenshot_20230101-133922.png

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
That is a job on Tuesday when they open.
see my post here. You might have to read through to see how I saved

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Put in similar dates with large camper van and trailer ant it came to.
View attachment 701721

Yep, I get it. But the times you picked are no good to us, and we have 4 pax. Even so £877 is still four hundred and twenty more expensive than the ferry. Nearly double!

I am deffo sailing.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back