Channel Tunnel Cost Increase (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
As I may have explained before, due to my boys' disabilities, we need the certainty of booking and reserving everything before we cross the water. I don't want to re-hash the "That's not proper motorhoming" argument, so roll with me!

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks, I have been booking sites for our summer 3 weeks. OMG, but it is so much more expensive than last year. Admittedly, we always go for the premium sites with activities that my boys would enjoy (mainly posh swimming pools with slides and/or a beach), but even so, if I told you the per night cost of one particular site, none of you would ever speak to me again, out of sheer disgust at our profligacy in these economically tight times.

Anyway, all booked and deposits paid. Off to the Channel Tunnel website to book crossings. Get in early.

I should explain, we have a 7.15m, 3500kg moho. There are 4 of us so we can easily go overweight. Some of you will be outraged, but I have no problem going a tad over, because I know that the bus is safe, having bigger tyres and rear semi air. Therefore it is safe up to 3850kg, pending paying someone a couple of hundred quid to do the admin (Mrs DDJC can't drive >3500kg, although I can)

So we attach a little trailer. A titchy, narrow, unbraked spud of a thing, but it allows us to be legal. And this where I got the shock of my life on the tunnel website. Bear in mind that we can only go in August, during the school holidays - there is no alternative.

To get our motorhome under the water to France, costs a preposterous £276. Even if we had a 9m moho, it would there or thereabouts.
BUT, as soon as you add our 2m long trailer, the cost goes to ...

£620 !!!! ONE WAY!!!!!!!
There is no consideration on trailer size. If you have one shorter than 4.5m, it more than doubles the cost. Yet if we booked a motorhome with a total length that is longer that my moho+trailer, it is less than £300,

But that isn't the worst of it. For the return journey, the moho only cost is a scary £300.
But if you add a trailer, and you won't believe it, the cost goes to ....

£1030 for ONE EFFING WAY!

Try it. Get the price yourselves. I have tried several times, and it is the same. Last year we were getting crossing costs with trailer of £300, which is heavy, but affordable in the context of a three week family trip.

So I guess I am asking a few questions.
We could use the Dover Calais ferry, but I haven't used it for years and years. Can anyone tell me, from arrival at Dover to driving off at Calais, takes how long?
Is there any other way that you can book the tunnel without being royally shafted? I am going to talk to the Tunnel and plead my case about trailer size.
We could cut down the weight a little and pack it in, but I reckon we would still be over. How much over do you go, assuming you are confident that you are legal?
Any other weird or useful suggestions.

Thanks all,

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Have you checked the cost of a tow car or separate car .the separate car would carry all your excess weight.
If a car is not possible have you considered taking off the tow bar, must weigh 30 to 40 kgs.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The timings make a difference of hundreds. And how long is your MH?
K
The timings make a difference of hundreds. And how long is your MH?
Length makes no difference but that is the next to the longest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
When you book it comes up as Fiat Ducato, it then says 'are you a campervan' you then have to click 'yes' you are clearly paying the wrong rate.

I do click campervan! I have used the tunnel for years! The cost is in the trailer, the times and the dates!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Have you checked the cost of a tow car or separate car .the separate car would carry all your excess weight.
If a car is not possible have you considered taking off the tow bar, must weigh 30 to 40 kgs.

Yes, we used to tow a little car on both A Frame and small trailer. About 300kg of spare gear could fit into the little car. We've also driven a separate car, but we decided that all that defeats the point of a moho.

Thanks for all the contributions and suggestions, but we're decided to take the boat. No matter which way we try to do it, the boat is less then half the price of the train, for a return journey, on the dates and the times we are travelling.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I think some of you think I am fibbing!!!
(or stupid!!)

Bear in mind that I can't shift any of the parameters:

View attachment 701719
Screenshot_20230101_140516_My Eurotunnel.jpg
If you can travel back earlier in the morning it's cheaper.

Upvote 1
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
No queue for passport, no stopping for gas check, normally no delays unlike tunnel.
Normally queue for about 15-20min for passport control and having used the tunnel a couple of dozen times I have never been delayed if anything always been put on earlier train.
Obviously summer holidays is different but that would also be the same for ferries.
Pretty sure they had plenty of delays when the ferries were stuck in port due to changing over crews last year and also bad weather.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Wow. Just checked Irish Ferries and unbelievable.

£162 over and £184 return including trailer, plus £48 for Club class for four of us (the boys need the relative peace in there)

So, a total of £1650 on the tunnel or £450 ish on the ferry. Duh.

So, in the words of Rod Stewart, "I am sailing"

I will be writing to the Tunnel and telling them that their trailer policy is stupid and I won't be using them again.

Thanks very much all.
We used Irish ferries for the first time this year May half-term due to cost versus the tunnel and would use again. However would not travel the first weekend of the School Holidays anymore as too many problems with Operation Brock, capacity at Dover and lack of UK Border Force/French customs people it's just too stressful now.

Upvote 0

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
As I may have explained before, due to my boys' disabilities, we need the certainty of booking and reserving everything before we cross the water. I don't want to re-hash the "That's not proper motorhoming" argument, so roll with me!

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks, I have been booking sites for our summer 3 weeks. OMG, but it is so much more expensive than last year. Admittedly, we always go for the premium sites with activities that my boys would enjoy (mainly posh swimming pools with slides and/or a beach), but even so, if I told you the per night cost of one particular site, none of you would ever speak to me again, out of sheer disgust at our profligacy in these economically tight times.

Anyway, all booked and deposits paid. Off to the Channel Tunnel website to book crossings. Get in early.

I should explain, we have a 7.15m, 3500kg moho. There are 4 of us so we can easily go overweight. Some of you will be outraged, but I have no problem going a tad over, because I know that the bus is safe, having bigger tyres and rear semi air. Therefore it is safe up to 3850kg, pending paying someone a couple of hundred quid to do the admin (Mrs DDJC can't drive >3500kg, although I can)

So we attach a little trailer. A titchy, narrow, unbraked spud of a thing, but it allows us to be legal. And this where I got the shock of my life on the tunnel website. Bear in mind that we can only go in August, during the school holidays - there is no alternative.

To get our motorhome under the water to France, costs a preposterous £276. Even if we had a 9m moho, it would there or thereabouts.
BUT, as soon as you add our 2m long trailer, the cost goes to ...

£620 !!!! ONE WAY!!!!!!!
There is no consideration on trailer size. If you have one shorter than 4.5m, it more than doubles the cost. Yet if we booked a motorhome with a total length that is longer that my moho+trailer, it is less than £300,

But that isn't the worst of it. For the return journey, the moho only cost is a scary £300.
But if you add a trailer, and you won't believe it, the cost goes to ....

£1030 for ONE EFFING WAY!

Try it. Get the price yourselves. I have tried several times, and it is the same. Last year we were getting crossing costs with trailer of £300, which is heavy, but affordable in the context of a three week family trip.

So I guess I am asking a few questions.
We could use the Dover Calais ferry, but I haven't used it for years and years. Can anyone tell me, from arrival at Dover to driving off at Calais, takes how long?
Is there any other way that you can book the tunnel without being royally shafted? I am going to talk to the Tunnel and plead my case about trailer size.
We could cut down the weight a little and pack it in, but I reckon we would still be over. How much over do you go, assuming you are confident that you are legal?
Any other weird or useful suggestions.

Thanks all,
I contacted them and asked about a trail for this year and had the same problem but if you use just give the overall size including the trailer you should get a better price.
As my question to euro tunnel was if my trailer and motorhome comes in under the 8 m, I will not have to pay for the trailer, so put in you motorhome into the 10m bracket on there web site and then you don’t have to declare the trail. Good luck

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
DDJC , I commend you for your patience with replies on here, I guess you have learnt that over many years with your sons. Now you have booked the ferry, I hope that you and your family have a stress free crossing and that all goes smoothly enabling you to have a great holiday.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can assure you that I had no intention of winding up the op or anyone else , merely trieing to get him the best deal.
DDJC , I commend you for your patience with replies on here, I guess you have learnt that over many years with your sons. Now you have booked the ferry, I hope that you and your family have a stress free crossing and that all goes smoothly enabling you to have a great holiday.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are booked on the 31/01/2023. 7.5m Hymer A class 4.5m twin axle car trailer. I believe that’s quite reasonable.😊
92301EED-79BD-4B2A-962A-150562B82891.jpeg

heres a comparison with a Irish Ferries.
B7F39EFF-D5B0-4E68-A95F-0884FC3B54DA.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
here’s another comparison 7.5 m A class with trailer for July /August😊

4673FA77-0891-4CFF-8881-DA10098FFF46.png

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The op doesn't have flexible crossing dates and is stuck with school holidays.thats the main reasons for the high prices.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The op doesn't have flexible crossing dates and is stuck with school holidays.thats the main reasons for the high prices.
Yes I would agree however I have tried comparison bookings in August over sat and Sun and can get under £600 return so perhaps he was doing something differently (I also have account) 🤔

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I can assure you that I had no intention of winding up the op or anyone else , merely trieing to get him the best deal.

I wasn't wound up Chaser! I could see that everyone was trying to suggest different ideas and connotations. I haven't actually booked the ferry yet. I will be ringing them ... but ...
I contacted them and asked about a trail for this year and had the same problem but if you use just give the overall size including the trailer you should get a better price.
As my question to euro tunnel was if my trailer and motorhome comes in under the 8 m, I will not have to pay for the trailer, so put in you motorhome into the 10m bracket on there web site and then you don’t have to declare the trail. Good luck

Cheers Plug. I was going to ring and suggest exactly that to them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp

Thanks Annie! :*

I didn't take any of the replies that way. I just wanted to sound out the opinions and come up with some cheaper options. I think I am there now.

Mega thanks to everyone who has taken the time to offer a suggestion or examples or ideas. I'm saving hundreds, so that is worth glass of red, should we ever cross paths, sur le continent.

Dave

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2017
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2017
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sadly yeah. I have an account with the Tunnel and go through that.
Might be the problem?
Cannot see how you can get any better than driving on the train and driving off?
As long as it leaves & arrives, doesn't break down,some other train doesn't break down , etc ,etc.+I'm not a mole

We are booked on the 31/01/2023. 7.5m Hymer A class 4.5m twin axle car trailer. I believe that’s quite reasonable.😊
View attachment 701742
heres a comparison with a Irish Ferries.View attachment 701749
Did you book that a while ago? Might be dearer done now? +OP is fixed at 5th & 27Th august
Not correct if you look at my comparison above post#79 tunnel £40 cheaper
But as EuroTrotters said & I have found the same I cannot get anywhere near the ferry cost using the train.
here’s another comparison 7.5 m A class with trailer for July /August😊

View attachment 701764
OP is fixed at the 5th & 27th august.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
As long as it leaves & arrives, doesn't break down,some other train doesn't break down , etc ,etc.+I'm not a mole
Unfortunately nothing is perfect but I think it’s a brilliant system and have not had any issues in the 11 years or so I’ve been using it
Sometimes 4-5 times a year we go across…😁😁

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Don’t ask how i know but apparently if you book without a trailer and then turn up with a small one of say 4m on the back, you just sail through (no pun). I’ve forgotten to add our trailer twice now😉. This when i was already paying the sort of money you mentioned above (add 2 dogs and that’s another €50 each way).

The tunnel for us used to be around €250 return with a 7m van (no trailer) with 2 dogs (10yr/s ago). Now it’s more like €500 - 700.

2019 we tried the ferry which was certainly cheaper but took a lot longer, probably 3hrs with all the faff and delays.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back