You couldn't make it up, disaster trip 2024 (46 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Starling bank you can have a £ & € account and transfer amounts between them for a small fee.
Costs nothing to transfer € to a french bank account.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's slowly all coming together, the van is done, my son and his mate have booked 3 days holiday Julie has rung the garage today and it has been road tested and ready to go so it hopefully will be picked up next Wednesday and back here Saturday.
Lv have rung today wanting to know what we are doing and want all receipts emailing to them for the costs.
I think I will just go with Lloyds bank to pay as it looks simple and doesn't involve anything but my bank account, seeing as hopefully it will be the only time I will need anything similar.
Btw it's ended up at 4800 euros for an allegedly new gearbox and clutch and various bits and pieces.
And the biggest surprise, only 10 hours labour.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It's slowly all coming together, the van is done, my son and his mate have booked 3 days holiday Julie has rung the garage today and it has been road tested and ready to go so it hopefully will be picked up next Wednesday and back here Saturday.
Lv have rung today wanting to know what we are doing and want all receipts emailing to them for the costs.
I think I will just go with Lloyds bank to pay as it looks simple and doesn't involve anything but my bank account, seeing as hopefully it will be the only time I will need anything similar.
Btw it's ended up at 4800 euros for an allegedly new gearbox and clutch and various bits and pieces.
Does th gearbox have an international warranty?

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Are they repatriating your van without wanting to take it to a garage?
Yes, They didn't even suggest taking it to a repairer. I would have liked it if they'd recovered us to an Iveco dealer and then we could have discussed it with them.
After all the hassle, I didn't want to ask them, I didn't want things to get anymore complicated.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, They didn't even suggest taking it to a repairer. I would have liked it if they'd recovered us to an Iveco dealer and then we could have discussed it with them.
After all the hassle, I didn't want to ask them, I didn't want things to get anymore complicated.
Well that's even better than us then, LV tried their hardest not to have to bring us back .

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well that's even better than us then, LV tried their hardest not to have to bring us back .
And I don't know why really as we have found out now it could have been brought back for 2 grand it must have cost them more than that in hotels and taxis just to keep us there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Well they tried hard not to help, if it wasn’t for Mr Vin it would have been a lot harder.
Just would have been nice to have got it fixed quicker and we could have gone and collected and not have the worry of possible damage etc on trip home.
But I did see quite a few poor reviews of the Iveco dealers that I found. In saying that though not had a lot of luck with ours and another workshop I’ve used here. I always seem to have to sort it myself as they never seem to fix it!
Had an air leak when we first had it, they couldn’t find it, it was behind the gauges in the dash and DPF was clogged they said all done then first trip out limp mode, I removed it and washed it out, two years on still good!

Reactions: DBK
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Not yet but I have another question now , what is the best way of paying up to 5 grand euros bill in France?
Have you got a Halifax or similar credit card. I used my Halifax credit card abroad and had the best exchange rates.
Assuming they accept payment by credit card . Not sure if you have any protection for payments to the eu though in case the repair goes wrong subsequently.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just been having a bit of a Google around and apparently I can pay it directly out of my Lloyds account, if the bill is 4600 euros it will be £4000 , sounds good to me. (y)
See if you can pay it with a Lloyd's credit card assuming the exchange rates are good .even just for the protection it may provide against the repair. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back