You couldn't make it up, disaster trip 2024 (117 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
However I suppose they will most likely break when being used and lots of us do massive mileage over the water.
But when was the last time your car left you stranded?
For me it was over 40 years ago and up to recently I was doing over 20,000 miles per year. Breakdowns in motorhomes appear to be much more common.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
For me it was over 40 years ago and up to recently I was doing over 20,000 miles per year. Breakdowns in motorhomes appear to be much more common.
To be fair, if the Motorhome was as unreliable as my wifeā€™s car, I would burn it. šŸ˜„

I do get your point though, the motorhome is older and the usage sporadic, probably doesnā€™t help.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Wake up Friday 13 lovely morning sun coming over the mountain near the Spanish border where we had been shopping the day before.
Julie actually commented on the date as we were having breakfast but we decided to go to the real sun down on the coast.

So far so good.
To be continued.......
This is going to take weeks , it will be worse than waiting for next weeks Beano.and the next Dennis the Menace episode. :rofl: :rofl:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Broken down in .... Norway!

IMG_20180728_152102.jpg

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Reading this thread and a few others recently it is surprising (and quite concerning) to hear that so many people have broken down when abroad. I know we donā€™t hear about the thousands that donā€™t break down, but the number breaking down does seem high. There is hardly a week goes by without someone having a problem.
Itā€™s just how you use your MH. We do 200 miles in the UK each year and 9000 overseas so chances are we are going to breakdown overseasā€¦.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
bailey
Well, all well and good , the hotel was in a shopping centre sort of place with a couple of restaurants so not too bad.
Then at night I come to take my apaxoban which I am supposed to take every 12 hours , only one tablet left in the package, got some more in the van but that's in a compound that we can't get to till Monday :doh:
So next morning we asked at the desk where the nearest pharmacy was and the bloke there says it's quite a way but I will take you there ,and he did.
Here the doctors dispensing side make such a fuss about having to order them days before I thought there would be no chance but went in and this chemist had them there on the shelf, Ā£65 lighter we were on our way another problem averted.
So read on here from scousebird that there is a market in town on a Saturday so got a Uber and went for a look and what a massive affair that is.
T b c ......
na, cant be bothered with long drawn out stories!

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I was thinking of SORNing my van over the entire winter but reading this thread I might change that to every other month and give it a good run and have a weekend away when revenue road legal.

On the subject of the incidence of breakdown abroad my thoughts:
  • There is likely a higher incidence of high mileage MH users on this site than in the general MH community and so a high incidence of reporting.
  • Generally the van chassis that our MHs are built on are reliable if serviced regularly. Irregular use by us does not help!
  • I see more broken down high value cars such as Jaguar and Merc pulled over on UK motorways than "ordinary" cars. Go figure!
  • Electronics seem to be the weak point on many modern vehicles - both cars and MHs

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
My 65 plate DS4 had an intermittent electronics fault that meant is started when it felt like it. Turned out to be a fault in a plug in electronic component common in Stellantis group cars. It took an age to trace the fault and required an auto-electrician to identify it. The "new" component was in very short supply and only available on exchange as they were repairing the faulty ones. So much for cars being reliable!!!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right ok, Monday comes Julie rings the insurance folks , to see what is happening , they are still looking for a garage so we say can we fetch some stuff out of the van, sure we will send you a taxi, taxi comes off we go to the compound, taxi goes ,we go in,bloke says vans not here, garage fetched it, but if you hold on a bit we have another lorry going that way will give you a lift.
Hour later we arrive at the garage and get some stuff out, and get told it will probably be a month ,we haven't looked at it yet.
So gets our own Uber back to the hotel and get on to the insurance again , they don't know what's happening but give us two more nights in the hotel.
In the meantime I have been looking on here and other places at how much a breakdown firm would want to fetch it back and was reliably informed , anything up to 7 grand, which we now know was bunkem, but that's another story we haven't got there yet.
Right various wandering about in Carcassonne was getting a bit boring so asked the insurance if we could get a forward to our destination,which was canet plage, yes no problem we will fix up a hire car for you, so no more to do we book a Airbnb in canet, 40 euros a night.
Next day taxi arrives to take us to pick up this car from hertz at the airport.
No payment to hire it but had to put 750 euros on a credit card for damage, full of petrol got to bring it back the same.
Worst is to come but will see if I can do another post in a bit.
Tbc.......

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
This all seems very familiarā€¦ Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve heard this storey before? Wasnā€™t there another thread on this?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Whilst it was happening I think chaser was too stressed to post details. Now heā€™s back he wants to tell us the details, but itā€™s a long story & he doesnā€™t want to make one post thatā€™s pages long & boring to write! Iā€™m interested so will keep looking out for the rest of it!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Right ok, Monday comes Julie rings the insurance folks , to see what is happening , they are still looking for a garage so we say can we fetch some stuff out of the van, sure we will send you a taxi, taxi comes off we go to the compound, taxi goes ,we go in,bloke says vans not here, garage fetched it, but if you hold on a bit we have another lorry going that way will give you a lift.
Hour later we arrive at the garage and get some stuff out, and get told it will probably be a month ,we haven't looked at it yet.
So gets our own Uber back to the hotel and get on to the insurance again , they don't know what's happening but give us two more nights in the hotel.
In the meantime I have been looking on here and other places at how much a breakdown firm would want to fetch it back and was reliably informed , anything up to 7 grand, which we now know was bunkem, but that's another story we haven't got there yet.
Right various wandering about in Carcassonne was getting a bit boring so asked the insurance if we could get a forward to our destination,which was canet plage, yes no problem we will fix up a hire car for you, so no more to do we book a Airbnb in canet, 40 euros a night.
Next day taxi arrives to take us to pick up this car from hertz at the airport.
No payment to hire it but had to put 750 euros on a credit card for damage, full of petrol got to bring it back the same.
Worst is to come but will see if I can do another post in a bit.
Tbc.......
Don't listen to those complaining. Keep the story coming please.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'll do another in a bit but it takes time to get it all back in my head in order but the big theme that runs through this is the absolutely brilliant service we got from lv breakdown insurance, never questioned anything, let us down a bit on the repatriation and we are still on going with that but all the horror stories we get on here are nothing like the service we have had off lv.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back