Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I’ve just seen the latest podcast by motorhome Matt. He talks about the withdrawal of 2G in 2033 and how this will affect trackers.
Now, when we went to France recently my tracker still had me at the euro tunnel even though I was in the south of France. I contacted the tracker people who said it was a really old one; 9 years old, and it could do with updating. Could this have been because France has switched off 2 G already?🤷🏼‍♂️. As I renewed by warranty they said they will replace this free of charge to a more modern and up to date one.
At the moment mine is working fine again and has me at home where the van is. For those away at the moment, does yours work in the EU

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Yes. The current Moving Intelligence Sentinel S5 is 4G. I checked with them this morning. I wonder if our insurance companies would try to wriggle out of a claim if someone took their motorhome to a country where they knew that there was no coverage for the tracker?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
For those that bought "lifetime" coverage to avoid the annual fee, I suspect tracker manufacturers will wriggle out of their commitments. The standard wheeze in the IT industry is to offer "lifetime" support, but then re-release the product under a new name with only slightly changed features to force users to buy the new one.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
The “lifetime” of my Snooper satnav turned out to be 7 years. They no longer support updated maps, etc. It’s weird when it starts going off into the undergrowth if a major junction has been changed!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I had some correspondence with BikeTrac when I noticed that some motorcycle journeys were not fully tracked in the route history and that it was not detecting the bike being at my home location. They said they would enable additional networks for my tracker to get a better signal. When I asked if the 2G and 3G networks are starting to wind down causing patchy coverage they said no, the switch off date is not until 2033. Having looked into this I found that what OFCOM and the UK networks are actually saying is that these networks will be switched off by 2033 at the latest, which puts an entirely different slant on this. It could well be that it will happen even earlier in the EU which is why I chose a 4G tracker for the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
My GPSLIVE 4G tracker seems to be giving perfect coverage in the UK and Europe as can be seen from the track of our latest trip.

20241003_163237.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Here in the UK, we are using 2G for smart meters and tracking buses and tons of security systems. Hence the realisation that killing it would disrupt a lot of national systems, so it's been delayed.

3G and 4G have never offered a low energy, low cost solution (over simplification!). So a lot of products continued to use 2G. But NB-IOT, LTE-M and Lorawan technologies now exist to replace it. It's going to take time though.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I just looked at mine and it seems to use GPS

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I just looked at mine and it seems to use GPS
They all use GPS to know where they are, but that is a read only system, and you need the phone network to report back to base so that the supplier can record location at regular intervals and so monitored services can alert you if the van has moved when it shouldn't have.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The standard wheeze in the IT industry is to offer "lifetime" support, but then re-release the product under a new name with only slightly changed features to force users to buy the new one.
TomTom do the same.....THEY decide how long "lifetime" really is.
I stopped being conned by TT years ago

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I wouldn’t worry about the network being turned off, more,worry about your tracker being shut down remotely by a thief

I can shut down any tracker, which is why I devised the Non Starter

I do mean ‘any’ tracker

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
It was why mine stopped working at the tunnel, not even tracker could see it. Then started working on return to the UK. Then Matt’s podcast. All seems suspect to me.
Anyhow, they will replace it and still honour the lifetime subscription.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
They all use GPS to know where they are, but that is a read only system, and you need the phone network to report back to base so that the supplier can record location at regular intervals and so monitored services can alert you if the van has moved when it shouldn't have.
Just asked Scorpion and my S5+ uses 4G and GPS so that's good.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
I wouldn’t worry about the network being turned off, more,worry about your tracker being shut down remotely by a thief

I can shut down any tracker, which is why I devised the Non Starter

I do mean ‘any’ tracker
That's pretty scary! You can permanently disable a tracker remotely ? Remote as potentially in other side of the world type thing ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I'm sure Ash@Vanbitz or someone will soon clarify the Growler/Raptor Metatrak position for funsters with said equipment and not just hearsay.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It was why mine stopped working at the tunnel, not even tracker could see it. Then started working on return to the UK. Then Matt’s podcast. All seems suspect to me.
Anyhow, they will replace it and still honour the lifetime subscription.
Or the SIM it's using doesn't have roaming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back