Why no choice ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
Malibu Charming GT
Having only had PVC’s I find it hard to comprehend why there is a lack of choice in the motorhome sector when it comes to heating, hot water and fridges, it seems the large majority of them dont give you the option to have a diesel heater/boiler and a compressor fridge when specifying from new.

I’m unsure if this due to cost, ease, environmental reasons or perhaps the wide availability of LPG in Europe where most of the vehicle manufactures are based.

My question is what motorhome models do you know of that have the option to change from the reliance of LPG ?

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
According to Truma, their most powerful boiler the d6, uses between 0.1 and 0.4 litres an hour, in spring/summer/autumn we notice no real reduction in fuel level, guess in winter if you have it on full chugg for 24hours it will be using 0.4 an hour!
That seems comparable fuel usage with the Wallas unit I had, could see no movement of the fuel dial at all after running it all night.
It sipped diesel like it hated the taste.

Graydo

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Agree.. one parked about 200yrds away from us and it was worse than any generator I have ever heard!!
Cant speak for others or cheap chinese knock offs, but mine was so quiet I sometimes had to put my hand next to the exhaust to check if it was on!

Graydo

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Our next van will come with diesel heating, current van has Alde. It will come with a compressor fridge/freezer, a first for us. It will also be gas free which we are really looking forward too as getting gas now is a bit of a pita tbh and we can do without that. A one fuel stop will do for me.
"compressor fridge/freezer, a first for us." I bet it isn't or have you still got a gas fridge in your kitchen at home?

A camper compressor fridge is just like a domestic one with a 12v DC compressors in stead of a 240v AC one.

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Some rapido models come with alde heating and a seperate diesel heater as standard.

as does mine and was I grateful for having a diesel heater when the Alde boiler burst in December whilst we were in Spain until April

We’d have been buggered and on the way home without the diesel heater

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I have recently added an Eberspacher D4 Airtronic to our PVC (MAN TGE) additional to the Truma. I've always liked having diesel blown air heating as it's always available, unless the diesel tank is very low.

I like the comfort of the belief of If you can drive it you can heat it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back