Why no choice ? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
Malibu Charming GT
Having only had PVC’s I find it hard to comprehend why there is a lack of choice in the motorhome sector when it comes to heating, hot water and fridges, it seems the large majority of them dont give you the option to have a diesel heater/boiler and a compressor fridge when specifying from new.

I’m unsure if this due to cost, ease, environmental reasons or perhaps the wide availability of LPG in Europe where most of the vehicle manufactures are based.

My question is what motorhome models do you know of that have the option to change from the reliance of LPG ?

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
When you can get it. I’m in the Cotswolds and there’s always been a choice of suppliers. But the two nearest have closed, no3 has supply problems, 4 and 5 were temporarily unavailable last week so I drove 20 miles to no6, a calor dealer with a big tank but a geriatric pump. I gave up after 12 minutes and 5 litres. “It’s a very old machine” he said “but not worth replacing”. And that says it all for the future of LPG pumps.
Nick Whale should get a tank installed.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When you can get it. I’m in the Cotswolds and there’s always been a choice of suppliers. But the two nearest have closed, no3 has supply problems, 4 and 5 were temporarily unavailable last week so I drove 20 miles to no6, a calor dealer with a big tank but a geriatric pump. I gave up after 12 minutes and 5 litres. “It’s a very old machine” he said “but not worth replacing”. And that says it all for the future of LPG pumps.
I spend most of my time in Europe where there's still plenty supply

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Having only had PVC’s I find it hard to comprehend why there is a lack of choice in the motorhome sector when it comes to heating, hot water and fridges, it seems the large majority of them dont give you the option to have a diesel heater/boiler and a compressor fridge when specifying from new.

I’m unsure if this due to cost, ease, environmental reasons or perhaps the wide availability of LPG in Europe where most of the vehicle manufactures are based.

My question is what motorhome models do you know of that have the option to change from the reliance of LPG ?
Malibu Vans have a diesel heater option. They only come with a compressor fridge and I am very impressed by the fridge in my new van.
I think I'd rather pay £50- 90p a litre for lpg though than £1.30- 180 a litre for diesel .
A litre of diesel contains significantly more energy and heating power than a litre of lpg so there is no point in comparing the price per litre without also looking ay how much heat it delivers.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
Our next van will come with diesel heating, current van has Alde. It will come with a compressor fridge/freezer, a first for us. It will also be gas free which we are really looking forward too as getting gas now is a bit of a pita tbh and we can do without that. A one fuel stop will do for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2023
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail F60
I see nothing in your link concerning Motorhomes.
The nearest thing I can see is PERMANENTLY-MOORED HOUSEBOATS and OFF-ROAD VEHICLES.

Can you show me where you see it allowed to any other MOBILE vehicle? 🤔
I believe in this context a heater is considered an appliance used for non-commercial heating and is therefore allowed.
To comply the tank containing red diesel can only supply the heater and in practice this probably means a dedicated tank.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Malibu Vans have a diesel heater option. They only come with a compressor fridge and I am very impressed by the fridge in my new van.

A litre of diesel contains significantly more energy and heating power than a litre of lpg so there is no point in comparing the price per litre without also looking ay how much heat it delivers.
OK then to put it simpler.

I'll compare the van I've had with a diesel heater and the current van I have with a gas fire.

The gas fire uses no electricity.

It makes no noise

It uses very little gas

And it has the whole motorhome toasty warm with 5-10 minutes.

I'm not against diesel heaters , I had considered fitting one as a back up.

But I wouldn't want it as my only source of heating .

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
So do you have a separate tank for heating asapposed to van fuel??
Even if so.. is it not now illegal to use "Red Diesel" for heating.👍👍
Yes even the farmer down the road who has a digger business had to stop using red diesel in his plant as have builders plant

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
I use red diesel for heating. Works out much cheaper. There is a petrol station near me that sells it from a pump to the farmers.
Or try a canal marina as they sell it for boat propulsion or heating .
Heating has the lower tax rate.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I believe in this context a heater is considered an appliance used for non-commercial heating and is therefore allowed.
To comply the tank containing red diesel can only supply the heater and in practice this probably means a dedicated tank.
According to a very busy marina in Surrey, they complained a lot about having to stop supplying passing Thames boat traffic, a number of years back.

They said that, they had been instructed that they could ONLY supply to static moorings, not anything that moved which seems to be supported by the link Rob supplied which seems to say, non-commercial heating for buildings but what do I know? 🤔

Upvote 0

French Charlie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2022
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Auro Star V630LJ
Exp
2 years

I have just taken delivery (yesterday) of an Autostar V630. I am a Brit living in France so there might be a few items lost in translation, but here goes. Fridge is a 24v electric only. Beefier batteries and extra solar should take care of that. It was only as I finished reading the instructions that I realised the heating is diesel running off the main tank. Happy with that except for the fact that, at some expense, I bolstered the LPG supply. I couldn't find Autostar in the UK, but another funster might well have an answer for you.

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer b class mct
It’s the lack of LPG filling points in the Uk that makes the diesel more convenient, for me at least

They normally cut out if you go below quarter of a tank so you wouldn’t get stranded
I have only been motorhoming for 32 months now. I have two gaslow lpg cylinders. never had any trouble filling them in the UK. I usually fill the one being used, even if not empty, if I am passing a lpg source, never had to go into the second bottle in 32 months. Just a question of planning ahead, I feel.

Upvote 0
May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend

I had my PVC built by S&L Motorhomes in Selby. Their an excellent van converter and put an underslung LPG tank on mine but offer diesel heating as well.
I find LPG is so cheap and readily available also lasts for a long time.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I had my PVC built by S&L Motorhomes in Selby. Their an excellent van converter and put an underslung LPG tank on mine but offer diesel heating as well.
I find LPG is so cheap and readily available also lasts for a long time.
My MURVI has an 230v & diesel for fridge, heating and water + gaslow for cooking.

MURVI will build as requested! 👍

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
I have only been motorhoming for 32 months now. I have two gaslow lpg cylinders. never had any trouble filling them in the UK. I usually fill the one being used, even if not empty, if I am passing a lpg source, never had to go into the second bottle in 32 months. Just a question of planning ahead, I feel.
Just checking, as it wasn't clear from your post, you do alternate the usage of the cylinders?

Apparently it is recommended in order to avoid overfilling the unused one.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Just checking, as it wasn't clear from your post, you do alternate the usage of the cylinders?

Yes, good point. I think it was Basildog said that every time you fill up the other full cylinder also gets a small inflow before the valve shuts and this can cause over filling.

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer b class mct

Apologies, only just seen this response. Usually by default we use only the one, I think in the whole time we have had the van we have changed cycle sets one, but generally only the one. The cylinders will only fill to 80% I believe as the fill is regulated by the machine just so, not an expert so have to trust that. I have the Truma Duo system, as I say though I tend to operate it manually unless I am nervous of running out in cold climate on one cylinder when it is around zero degrees. Otherwise the boiler will auto dump. My gas use is tempered by odd weekends through the colder months and then larger spring, summer autumn use. Others, for example full timers or people skiing would use far more gas than me. And in those circumstances I would operate the duo system.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Apologies, only just seen this response. Usually by default we use only the one, I think in the whole time we have had the van we have changed cycle sets one, but generally only the one. The cylinders will only fill to 80% I believe as the fill is regulated by the machine just so, not an expert so have to trust that. I have the Truma Duo system, as I say though I tend to operate it manually unless I am nervous of running out in cold climate on one cylinder when it is around zero degrees. Otherwise the boiler will auto dump. My gas use is tempered by odd weekends through the colder months and then larger spring, summer autumn use. Others, for example full timers or people skiing would use far more gas than me. And in those circumstances I would operate the duo system.
I don't have the system, but I have read that with repeated use and filling of just the one cylinder, the other will allow small amounts of LPG past when filling, even if it is at 80%.

Best check your documentation or retailer in any case.

Basildog who runs Autogas2000 is the expert and can confirm.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012

Compressor fridges kill batteries meaning that in terms of off grid touring they're not the best idea, builders feel that the 3 way absorption type offer the best cooling in any given situation. Many converters fit underslung gas tanks as a way to increase storage internally. It has nothing to do with the availability of LPG or we'd be seeing a steady decline of them particualrly on UK builds or those built for the UK market as supplies will soon be a rare as hens teeth.

The available Truma diesel combi 4 E uses a litre every 2 hours, the option is very expensive to refuel especially as it's fed from your base vehicle fuel tank plus without a quality DPF the emmisions will be seriously frowned upon if you decide to stay overnight on an Aire in the middle of a city.

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer b class mct
I don't have the system, but I have read that with repeated use and filling of just the one cylinder, the other will allow small amounts of LPG past when filling, even if it is at 80%.

Best check your documentation or retailer in any case.

Basildog who runs Autogas2000 is the expert and can confirm.
With both cylinders turned off, in terms of supply to the van, the LPG filling station will fill both tanks. It is just that one will usually be already full, and if partially discharge even by a small amount it should refill.

I don’t have to do anything to specifically fill a particular tank.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
With both cylinders turned off, in terms of supply to the van, the LPG filling station will fill both tanks. It is just that one will usually be already full, and if partially discharge even by a small amount it should refill.

I don’t have to do anything to specifically fill a particular tank.
This is why you should alternate which cylinder you use. If you always use the same cylinder and the other one remains full a small amount of liquid gas gets into the full cylinder each time you top up and this cylinder can become overfilled i.e. more than 80%. This advice came from the experts at Autogas 2000. It is just a matter of switching on a different cylinder after each top up.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
One of those parked next to me in Germany last year, what a flipping row their diesel heater made.
If manufacturers are going to fit them they could at least install them properly with a decent silencer.

You can barely hear ours when it's running, whether you're inside or outside :)

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
This is why you should alternate which cylinder you use. If you always use the same cylinder and the other one remains full a small amount of liquid gas gets into the full cylinder each time you top up and this cylinder can become overfilled i.e. more than 80%. This advice came from the experts at Autogas 2000. It is just a matter of switching on a different cylinder after each top up.
That's what I was trying to say! (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19

My last camper van had a Wallas xc duo diesel heater, it was so quiet if you were in the next van you wouldn't hear it.
It was also very warm and extremely frugal and didn't smell.
It took it's diesel from the main fuel tank.

The Truma diesel option is the only other type I have heard for motorhomes but I am surprised to hear it uses a litre every two hours.

LPG seems to hold sway in 90 percent of motorhomes for historic reasons, but if I was offered a diesel version in my new van I would have taken it.

It tended to require a lot of power at startup, If it was especially cold I would leave the engine running until it fired up completely, after that it used very little just to run the fan.

I would always have a 3 way fridge though, the compressor fridge in my last van was extremely power hungry compared to lpg, problem with that is, you still require two fuel sources 🤷

Graydo

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My last camper van had a Wallas xc duo diesel heater, it was so quiet if you were in the next van you wouldn't hear it.

The Truma diesel option is the only other type I have heard for motorhomes but I am surprised to hear it uses a litre every two hours.

LPG seems to hold sway in 90 percent of motorhomes for historic reasons, but if I was offered a diesel version in my new van I would have taken it.

It tended to require a lot of power at startup, If it was especially cold I would leave the engine running until it fired up completely, after that it used very little just to run the fan.

I would always have a 3 way fridge though, the compressor fridge in my last van was extremely power hungry compared to lpg, problem with that is, you still require two fuel sources 🤷

Graydo
I agree, my van has a Eberspacher and, it makes an embarrassing lot of noise (IMO) at startup and is hungry on power.

I have a 3-way fridge and when not on EHU, runs, very frugally on gas.

Upvote 0

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004

According to Truma, their most powerful boiler the d6, uses between 0.1 and 0.4 litres an hour, in spring/summer/autumn we notice no real reduction in fuel level, guess in winter if you have it on full chugg for 24hours it will be using 0.4 an hour!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back