Why no choice ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
Malibu Charming GT
Having only had PVC’s I find it hard to comprehend why there is a lack of choice in the motorhome sector when it comes to heating, hot water and fridges, it seems the large majority of them dont give you the option to have a diesel heater/boiler and a compressor fridge when specifying from new.

I’m unsure if this due to cost, ease, environmental reasons or perhaps the wide availability of LPG in Europe where most of the vehicle manufactures are based.

My question is what motorhome models do you know of that have the option to change from the reliance of LPG ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Many are fitting compressor fridges. ...but also don't have the necessary power banks to run them

Personally I prefer 3 way fridge

For heating I think many will soon be trying to make them all electric powered too as they try to move away from gas appliances.

I'm glad I won't be buying new ones 😁

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I use red diesel for heating. Works out much cheaper. There is a petrol station near me that sells it from a pump to the farmers.
So do you have a separate tank for heating asapposed to van fuel??
Even if so.. is it not now illegal to use "Red Diesel" for heating.👍👍

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I use red diesel for heating. Works out much cheaper. There is a petrol station near me that sells it from a pump to the farmers.
But what happens when you're not near that petrol station ? ie travelling in Europe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
My mates got a Westfalia Columbus with diesel heating & compressor fridge. Fantastic build quality, better than mine!

Upvote 1

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What’s the actual consumption between the two though . I have diesel heating and even after a long weekend with it constantly on I never notice a dip on the fuel guage
I had a diesel heater in one van and my biggest concern was the amount of battery power it used .

My current van has a gas fire , uses no electricity and very little gas .

Don't get me wrong I like diesel heaters but I'd not want one as the only heating in the van

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I had a diesel heater in one van and my biggest concern was the amount of battery power it used .

My current van has a gas fire , uses no electricity and very little gas .

Don't get me wrong I like diesel heaters but I'd not want one as the only heating in the van
Diesel heater uses 10a on start up for about 2 mins, there after it’s only the fan. If it’s on low, the power is negligible and just over 1.5A at full chat. A 5kw diesel heater even at 1/4 power up, it spanks any gas heater. I have a propex 2.8kw lpg blown air heater, and a finest China diesel. The diesel heater gets used 95-99% of the time.
A 100 amper lifepo4 will happily run a compressor and a diesel heater. Food for thought.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Diesel heater uses 10a on start up for about 2 mins, there after it’s only the fan. If it’s on low, the power is negligible and just over 1.5A at full chat. A 5kw diesel heater even at 1/4 power up, it spanks any gas heater. I have a propex 2.8kw lpg blown air heater, and a finest China diesel. The diesel heater gets used 95-99% of the time.
A 100 amper lifepo4 will happily run a compressor and a diesel heater. Food for thought.
It doesn't spank a gas fire .. it uses no power at all.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Red diesel can still be used for "non commercial heating".

But you must have separate tank, as any trace of red in your propulsion tank will get you in a heap of difficulty. Nothing to stop you putting standard full duty diesel in the separate heating tank if you can't get red.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A open gas fire no thanks, humidity and oxygen depletion.
I was talking about room sealed combustion with fan assisted exhaust flue.
Not sure about open .. but in all the motorhomes I've owned its proved to be the best heating I've had in any off them.

Cheapest to run and the van is toasty within 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Red diesel can still be used for "non commercial heating".

But you must have separate tank, as any trace of red in your propulsion tank will get you in a heap of difficulty. Nothing to stop you putting standard full duty diesel in the separate heating tank if you can't get red.
I see nothing in your link concerning Motorhomes.
The nearest thing I can see is PERMANENTLY-MOORED HOUSEBOATS and OFF-ROAD VEHICLES.

Can you show me where you see it allowed to any other MOBILE vehicle? 🤔

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My mates got a Westfalia Columbus with diesel heating & compressor fridge. Fantastic build quality, better than mine!
One of those parked next to me in Germany last year, what a flipping row their diesel heater made.
If manufacturers are going to fit them they could at least install them properly with a decent silencer.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
So do you have a separate tank for heating asapposed to van fuel??
Even if so.. is it not now illegal to use "Red Diesel" for heating.👍👍
One of those parked next to me in Germany last year, what a flipping row their diesel heater made.
If manufacturers are going to fit them they could at least install them properly with a decent silencer.
Agree.. one parked about 200yrds away from us and it was worse than any generator I have ever heard!!

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To answer the original post, the motorhome market isn't really big enough for the larger manufacturers to offer alternatives for fridges, boilers etc. Smaller converters do, of course, offer a more bespoke service so are usually more amenable to different options in this respect. You are more likely, however, to see this on PVCs rather than coachbuilts.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have just ordered a Consort Oslo (yes I know I keep on about it but we’re very excited!) and we’re having a diesel heater and a compressor fridge. The standard is a 140 litre compressor fridge but we’re having the 90litre option with more storage. That’s enough for Nick’s cider. We will have 320 ah solar and 230w under seat lithium (Roamer) . The underslung lpg will just be for cooking so will last a long time!

S&L another UK converter offer a diesel option. I think the fridge was a 90 litre compressor one but I didn’t like the tambour doors on the toilet and the raised floor at the back. Anyway, we wanted a Consort Oslo.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Wildax have gone all diesel/electric on the new models.

"The Altair is fitted as standard with an all in one Lithium leisure battery system which power the 12v systems and through a built in 3kW inverter will power all your cooking and other needs without being plugged into the mains. The system is charged from the 400W solar system whilst in the wild, from the engine via the ‘supercharger’ whilst driving (up to 80 Amp!) or from the mains whilst parked up. Cooking is offered via the 2 induction ring hob and microwave. There is a large 154 litre all electric fridge/freezer. Heating and hot water are provided by the Truma 4D, diesel and mains electric powered system."

Upvote 1
Jan 27, 2023
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Brand new
I think I'd rather pay £50- 90p a litre for lpg though than £1.30- 180 a litre for diesel .
When you can get it. I’m in the Cotswolds and there’s always been a choice of suppliers. But the two nearest have closed, no3 has supply problems, 4 and 5 were temporarily unavailable last week so I drove 20 miles to no6, a calor dealer with a big tank but a geriatric pump. I gave up after 12 minutes and 5 litres. “It’s a very old machine” he said “but not worth replacing”. And that says it all for the future of LPG pumps.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back