Why is Motorhome insurance so expensive (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2023
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Hello, I've never insured a Motorhome before, so looking to take out my first policy on a £95,000 Carthago and the cost is coming in at £1275. Is this about right or is this expensive.

I don't have any NCD for motorhomes, but have 3 other cars all with 15 years plus, I have no accidents or driving convictions. If that is the going rate, then that is fine. Please quote was from Adrian Flux.

Thank you
Mark

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
First things first , I wouldn't insure with Adrian flux unless I'd explored every other option first. They aren't good .

I've been with safeguard for 6 years they're very good.

The quote sounds expensive but I pay £550 for a 25 year old van that's worth £80k less than yours and ive 7 years no claims on that policy so looking at it that way it's not bad

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You had an expensive 1st house, mine was £1200 !
North Rd. Portslade, West of Brighton, in 1970. 2 bed terraced. My salary was £1,200. Mortgage £3,600.
We bought it a couple of months before the wedding. The only thing we had new was our bed, bought by my FIL who wouldn't allow it to be delivered until two days before our wedding. 🤷‍♂️

1706791410475.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Not just MH insurance, our house insurance is also up by 30%.

Upvote 0

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Just seen this reply on another non motorhome forum regarding insurance price increases.
"There's no magic to insurance premium price changes for anything car, house, caravan, boat etc it's entirely data driven. This can impact a single model, an entire range or manufacturer. If a loss claim for, say £85k, is made against a product, say a motorhome, where the average premium is £750 it takes a hell of a lot of those premiums to pay a single claim from the base insurer. If the underwriter reinsures the risk elsewhere to mitigate against that magnitude of claim and the reinsurer sees loads of claims against a particular risk, say Ford based motorhomes with a bad theft history, they will react by higher premiums themselves if the base insurer has a large exposure to that product type, and that will then trickle down to the premium the customer is charged. The repair cost increases also massively impact insurers overall costs and as we all know even our supermarket basket costs have rocketed. Even windscreen costs have shot up with the additional sensors for lights and wipers let alone a coach screen that can come in at more than £10K. Insurance is a numbers game and at present its all increases!"
I did find it interesting the writer specifically mentioned the Ford issue but the point about premium relative to claim cost is very valid for motorhomes.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Just seen this reply on another non motorhome forum regarding insurance price increases.
"There's no magic to insurance premium price changes for anything car, house, caravan, boat etc it's entirely data driven. This can impact a single model, an entire range or manufacturer. If a loss claim for, say £85k, is made against a product, say a motorhome, where the average premium is £750 it takes a hell of a lot of those premiums to pay a single claim from the base insurer. If the underwriter reinsures the risk elsewhere to mitigate against that magnitude of claim and the reinsurer sees loads of claims against a particular risk, say Ford based motorhomes with a bad theft history, they will react by higher premiums themselves if the base insurer has a large exposure to that product type, and that will then trickle down to the premium the customer is charged. The repair cost increases also massively impact insurers overall costs and as we all know even our supermarket basket costs have rocketed. Even windscreen costs have shot up with the additional sensors for lights and wipers let alone a coach screen that can come in at more than £10K. Insurance is a numbers game and at present its all increases!"
I did find it interesting the writer specifically mentioned the Ford issue but the point about premium relative to claim cost is very valid for motorhomes.

The repairs costs, I believe, are somewhere that escalating costs need to be reviewed. I think in most cases people are asked if the repair is an insurance claim or a private repair and the costs adjusted upwards for an insurance claim. The insurance companies generally have a list of approved garages, they should know what the rates are for the garages concerned and the cost of these repairs and not inflated because someone else is paying. At the end of the day we all end up paying. As you say, its a number games, but the numbers associated with the inflated cost of repairs seems to escape most insurance companies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you think insurance for a MH is expensive, just had a friend tell me that a friend of his had a new Range Rover on order £150K worth. Just rang his insurance company to get cover ready for collection a week later. Got quoted £38k.
Who would buy a car like that without getting a quote first! Still if you can accept the depreciation I suppose you can accept the insurance.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
Who would buy a car like that without getting a quote first! Still if you can accept the depreciation I suppose you can accept the insurance.
Think it fair to say that if you have had one already and you are upgrading then the last thing to considering is the eye-watering increase in insurance premium.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Interesting because looking at the posts on here I think our premium for a ford based motorhome was no dearer and possibly cheaper than the average. I must say I'm surprised also how cheap A class insurance is given windscreen costs. I suspect that the majority of the premium is actually third party claims

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
North Rd. Portslade, West of Brighton, in 1970. 2 bed terraced. My salary was £1,200. Mortgage £3,600.
We bought it a couple of months before the wedding. The only thing we had new was our bed, bought by my FIL who wouldn't allow it to be delivered until two days before our wedding. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 860952
4bed, 3 storey terraced in Salford where I was born also 1970, sold it 2 years later for £2800 prices were just starting to shoot up and luckily we were always just one step ahead, current house on the market at £575 thousand, unbelievable!

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
4bed, 3 storey terraced in Salford where I was born also 1970, sold it 2 years later for £2800 prices were just starting to shoot up and luckily we were always just one step ahead, current house on the market at £575 thousand, unbelievable!
Our first house was in Blakeley near Heaten Park. A semi with a garage, £6.300. 1973.

Upvote 0

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
I’m was with them for both car and home insurance now only home as car is now Motability and yes I will try them next time round - however very pleased with £670 from Motorhome Direct as we have legal cover , breakdown, and European cover too and that’s good enough. 😃

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2019
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since February 2019
Hi I’ve just had a quote from RIPE for insurance £385 I’m with LV at the moment and with 1 fault accidents and full NCB over £600 on 2019 £56000 motorhome
RIPE don't offer protected NCB. I have been around the houses for my renewal and I will probably stay with CAMC.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
since 2010
I’ve got a Scorpion tracker which I purchased from them direct
Including in the price was lifetime warranty and subscription
It was cheaper than buying from a 3rd party Scorpion supplier

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2020
Alrewas , Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago liner for
Exp
15 years
Hello, I've never insured a Motorhome before, so looking to take out my first policy on a £95,000 Carthago and the cost is coming in at £1275. Is this about right or is this expensive.

I don't have any NCD for motorhomes, but have 3 other cars all with 15 years plus, I have no accidents or driving convictions. If that is the going rate, then that is fine. Please quote was from Adrian Flux.

Thank you
Mark
Hi Mark, I'm using NFU, always have for my moho's. I currently pay £ 1195 per year on a 2023 Carthago liner for two. NFU also cover my household insurance so I'm pretty sure it reflects on the very competitive quote of the motorhome insurance.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2023
Walsall, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 522 Van
Exp
Since 2021

Thank you
Mark
We have a hymer 522 van, on ford transit chassis, just insured via principle insurance on comparison site for £285. Have truetrack tracker fitted, but no Thatcham alarm, quite a few motorhome insurers will not insure if a Thatcham approved professionally fitted alarm/immobiliser not fitted. Spent 2 days getting quotes some were as high as £1600.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

View attachment 860952
probably about 400k now?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
probably about 400k now?
More than likely.
Here's one of very many back streets with 2 and 3 bed terraced Victorian cottages in central Brighton. Tiny courtyard at rear. Permit street parking £740,000 - £800,000.
When I was a kid at school you wouldn't admit to living in one of those 'slum' areas or you'd get beaten up by rival gangs.

1707321757172.png

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
More than likely.
Here's one of very many back streets with 2 and 3 bed terraced Victorian cottages in central Brighton. Tiny courtyard at rear. Permit street parking £740,000 - £800,000.
When I was a kid at school you wouldn't admit to living in one of those 'slum' areas or you'd get beaten up by rival gangs.

View attachment 863272

My son recently bought a 2 bed flat in Brighton. 5th floor, (no lift) one reception room consisting of very compact Lounge/Kitchen, 2 bedrooms, one small bathroom. No free parking, Cost £320,000 with the freehold. Has to pay management/maintenance fees on top of that. Its the very top floor in this pic. Brunswick place. Nice spot 5 mins from the sea though.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 161818.png

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Ours is stored at a nearby farm and has a tracker. Insured through CAMC and gone up by 10% to £510. Based on tales of massive hikes I had budgeted for 30-40%. It's not a Carthago, but would probably cost around £65-£70,000 to replace (a guess). It's one of the reasons for staying with CAMC, their sites are expensive but you know what you get. The club is arrogant in its dealings with its 'members', most of the staff seem friendly and they offer good benefits such as CLs and insurance.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Living Van
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just tried to get a quote from LV for a new Rapido Dreamer. They said they don't insure Rapidos as they are not on their list of approved Motorhomes. I said to them that Rapido are a very large Motorhome company why was it not on their list? She was a bit "computer says no"
Has anyone else had that from LV?

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
Just tried to get a quote from LV for a new Rapido Dreamer. They said they don't insure Rapidos as they are not on their list of approved Motorhomes. I said to them that Rapido are a very large Motorhome company why was it not on their list? She was a bit "computer says no"
If you put the base vehicle type, and then pick motorcaravan, that then should got to the quotation stage

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Just insured with lv £414 for £89k motorhome , had to phone them as I couldn’t find my MoHo on their online site , I could only find fiat base vans , I think I was supposed to click converter to show MoHo’s ( so the tele operator told me)

edit , she did also mention motorcaravan but I don't remember seeing it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
The only way to check prices and what's included (also the excesses also what windscreen cover you get!) is to do loads of on-line quotes, also mileage makes quite a difference too so don't put it higher than you realistically need.
I have just increased my from 6000 to 8000 miles, with management charges the extra was £45.09, I don't think that is too bad

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68
I am about to do a comparison exercise (my premium has gone up £200 with Comfort). In your experience, will they entertian a conversation "I have got a quote cheaper, will you match it". In fairness they have been very good, just unhappy about the increase. BOOMEL

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I am about to do a comparison exercise (my premium has gone up £200 with Comfort). In your experience, will they entertian a conversation "I have got a quote cheaper, will you match it". In fairness they have been very good, just unhappy about the increase. BOOMEL
Always worth an ask if they say no you can decide if the difference is enough to want to switch

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

I had the same with a Burstner. Went round the houses a lot with LV that I decided not to bother in the end. If they can't identify a major motorhome manufacturer then I'd worry about them in a claim situation. They don't seem to understand motorhomes.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back