Why do people worry so much about how nice a campsite is? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Why not make the campsite the destination if it has what you are looking for ? Why would you rather stay at home ? Why the criticism of other peoples choices.
With the British weather especially in the colder months (although that looks like it includes July now), campsite choice could be decided on something as fickle as how muddy will it get - I.e. is there hard standing or not. And with kids in tow, the decision is also not purely about destination. So it’s Friday and we are at a loose end for the weekend. Do I want to park in a field and traipse around somewhere like Sutton with the risk of kids bored off their tits and on tech all weekend, like they would be at home or do I say feck the expense and go to somewhere on a trading estate like Love at Shrewsbury where kids have pool, hot tub and a ready made bicycle race track around the site roads. I know which the kids will enjoy more and where Mrs Blo and I will see more time relaxing.
And I’ve been on a Fun rally or two. Not for the destination but for what’s on offer. So moral should be each to their own. And btw sometimes I enjoy a lay-by just as much as the FLT brigade, which is only slightly less than a dogger would.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I only recollect once overnighting in a layby, and that was in Ireland. If we go to a site, it's usually for convenience of location. I use two in Cornwall most years as they are very convenient when visiting family. Doubletrees Farm at St Blazey and Stream Valley (Formerly known as Bone Valley) at Heamoor, Penzance. The former is a larger site with great views across Carlyon Bay and has nice showers, washup facility and always a lovely welcome. Easy accxess to buses etc, but I usually hire a care from Beech Motors in St Austell if staying a few days. The other is much smaller but has everything you could possibly need although if you want a shower and it's busy you might have to wait. It's a ten minute walk to either my brother Ejaydee or regular bus into Penzance and beyond. Lovely cake shop on the route to the bus stop.

Other than that in the last five years we have used mainly pubs, or CL's but did spend a few days at Brighton CAMC as it is so accessible by bike, walking or bus to the marina, seafront and town plus we needed to use the laundry room after a couple of weeks slumming it with Britstops and cheap CL's. .

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
So ,Jim, the consensus of your survey, sorry question, so far seems to be,
flatten Jasmine as a campsite, tarmac it over, make it into an 'aire', park up quadruple the number of MH's and charge a third of the price. 🤣

You would be packed every night, when are you selling shares? 😄

………and the Caravan & Motorhome Cub site next door would be stuffed! (y) :rolleyes:

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Ever camped in Yosemite National Park in the US? You certainly can't pull up in a layby for the night, the many rangers make sure of that. It takes well over an hour to get into Yosemite on either of the roads in, if the traffic is light. There are 3 camp grounds within Yosemite. All three are fully booked for the season within 15 minutes of the campground website opening for the season.

Sometimes if you want to go to the best places and see the best sights, you need to book.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Ever camped in Yosemite National Park in the US? You certainly can't pull up in a layby for the night, the many rangers make sure of that. It takes well over an hour to get into Yosemite on either of the roads in, if the traffic is light. There are 3 camp grounds within Yosemite. All three are fully booked for the season within 15 minutes of the campground website opening for the season.

Sometimes if you want to go to the best places and see the best sights, you need to book.
We were there a couple of weeks ago, never mind camping, you had to book and reserve a pass for the day you wanted to go just to get the car in, sold out in minutes and when we arrived we had to circle around twice as the car parks were closed off as already full. Having said that, wouldn’t have missed it, amazing place.

Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
The site (or aire) matters a lot to us and we definitely choose where we stay on the basis of it being:
  • quiet (avoiding noise from people, tvs, roads etc)
  • green (grass, trees, birds, wildlife)

I love the peace and tranquility of a small site, sitting in the evening listening to the birds, surrounded by greenery.

Location is also important - good quality hiking and cycling from the site.

We like staying somewhere for a few days rather than moving on every day, so the quality of the site or aire is an essential part of our enjoyment.

Good job we’re all different 😄

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why the criticism of other peoples choices.

People are saying what they prefer or asking questions about what others do. I can't see anyone being overly critical of others choices. If you question someone's choice or say that their choice is not for you, that's not being critical, it's a discussion. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
We have just spent 3 days on a small cs near Wantage to enable Naomi to walk the ridgeway . First time in 2 years we usually wild camp or britstops in UK ,airs if abroad .
Really enjoyed it quirky horse box ablutions but well done , money in box at entrance , good pub in village all we really needed extra was better weather.
Chasnam

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
We have just spent 3 days on a small cs near Wantage to enable Naomi to walk the ridgeway . First time in 2 years we usually wild camp or britstops in UK ,airs if abroad .
Really enjoyed it quirky horse box ablutions but well done , money in box at entrance , good pub in village all we really needed extra was better weather.
Chasnam
I am also looking to walk a section of the Ridgeway in that area, can I ask, did you stay at Bagmere farm and was the field stable enough for wet weather?

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
I am also looking to walk a section of the Ridgeway in that area, can I ask, did you stay at Bagmere farm and was the field stable enough for wet weather?
Yes that's where we stayed it was wet last week but no problems for a 6m pvc with 4 season tyres.
Chasnam👍

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Never tried the pubs. Those that I inquired into were no longer allowing it so we found it not worth being a member of the pub sites system.
Hi Dorwyn,
I'd persevere with Pub stopovers if I was you,
I started over 10 years ago, and apart from looking forward to club get togalethers, these are my preferred stops,
Over 10 yrs I've stayed at many cracking pubs and only found 1 I wouldn't return to ( and that was just this year !)
Most are very welcoming to us, a pint or two and or a meal is all that's expected in return ! I've met some lovely folk, had delicious meals ( which i would have had to cook for myself !! ) and, of course, many good pints of hand pumped real ale,
A lot of them are now regular stopovers for me,
Ken

Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
La Strada
In 35 years of using a motorhome, I have never pulled up on a site, just to visit the site. Sites get visited because of where they are. Near the beach I want to sit on, the lakes I want to walk around or the town I want to eat in.

OK, if there is a nice site and a poor site in a location I want to visit, then of course I'll choose the nice site every time. And if the site I do choose happens to have some nice facilities, then great, but I'm really not that fussed.

Some people appear to have the campsite as their destination, but given that, I'd rather stay at home.
I don't think anyone makes decisions for only one single reason, do they?

Always different factors to bear in mind.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
In 35 years of using a motorhome, I have never pulled up on a site, just to visit the site. Sites get visited because of where they are. Near the beach I want to sit on, the lakes I want to walk around or the town I want to eat in.

OK, if there is a nice site and a poor site in a location I want to visit, then of course I'll choose the nice site every time. And if the site I do choose happens to have some nice facilities, then great, but I'm really not that fussed.

Some people appear to have the campsite as their destination, but given that, I'd rather stay at home.
Couldn’t agree more.....

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Our first decision is 'where do we want to be'. Then price (don't mind paying as long as they're not extortionally over the top and we'll stay for one night then maybe.
After that don't mind scruffy, no facilities etc as long as we feel safe. We've stayed on some really rather grotty sites and in the end found them charming and easy to be in.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Also you have to deal with your poos at the toilet block sooner or later so you might as well just take them there in the first place 😂
Buy a simploo. No need to go near any toilets.
In this day and age any site refurbing their facilities needs to be installing heated floors in individual bathrooms as a minimum.
In our van I shower ,shave & clean teeth using next to no water so leaving all the hot to be wasted by the wife. Why do i want "heated floors"?

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Never tried the pubs. Those that I inquired into were no longer allowing it so we found it not worth being a member of the pub sites system.
Pubs are ok but can be an expensive way to camp. By the time you’ve had say a starter, main course and a couple of beers each it’s £70+ for a couple often with average food. We do it but not too often.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
The site we stay on is important to us, so we choose the nicest nearest the area we want to visit. Don’t fancy staying anywhere that’s not very nice.
Happy to stay in a car park, Aire, campsite etc as long as it’s nice. It’s part of our adventure.

May 22, 2018
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
since 1996
Never used a big site in over 25 years motorhoming always used cl 's, to us its only a base ,if its nice its an added bonus

Feb 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Exp
Since 2019
I wanted to visit a specific site for Christmas/New Years because of the fun events going on. So do a lot of other people as it's fully booked up so will have to wait 'till next year . . . .

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Pubs are ok but can be an expensive way to camp. By the time you’ve had say a starter, main course and a couple of beers each it’s £70+ for a couple often with average food. We do it but not too often.
That's definitely true. However, for those of us who mostly travel solo, pubs can be a very cost effective way of stopping in some nice places. The last one I did was after I'd been at an event all day. I was tired and it was very pleasant to just arrive. Park up. Go in for a nice hot meal someone else had cooked, and then go back to the van and pretty much straight to bed. A slowish start the next morning, with a short walk along the nearby canal, and then headed for home.

So it's very much - as has been shown by lots of folk in this thread - horses for courses. And that can vary even for the same person, depending on what you're doing, where you're going, when, for how long, with whom etc etc!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Same here, we stopped at a pub on way home in March by time we had a couple of beers and just main course it was 60 odd quid.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Same here, we stopped at a pub on way home in March by time we had a couple of beers and just main course it was 60 odd quid.
Last one we stayed at was on the way to Newhaven for the ferry. We got hit with a 10% service charge on top of the bill. Staying in their car park for the night it was a bit awkward to object or question it. Not sure if that’s their standard practice or because we were staying there?

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I just walk into any pub if the carpark looks safe and big enough and ask if I can stay the night , I always use the said pubs, never been refused yet,one we did stay was near Middleton Cheney, Banbury,carpark next to grave yard so, I attempted to scare the wife about ghosts she slept sound, I woke up thinking Zombies were surrounded the motorhome 👻!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back