Why do people worry so much about how nice a campsite is? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Why do any motorhomers want showers and toilets that every man and his dog have been in before them.
That very much depends on the quality of the facilities.

When I used to do a lot of travelling for work I stayed in quite a number of 4 and 5 star hotels around the world.
I've been to a few, a very few, campsites that would those hotels a run for their money.
I think the best I've seen so far was the site at Langenfeld in the Austrian Otztal Alps.
Way better than I've got at home.

In this day and age any site refurbing their facilities needs to be installing heated floors in individual bathrooms as a minimum.
( I see even a couple of Scout campsites have started to do this!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
On the whole Iā€™d agree but there is one campsite that we like to go to every year and we do like the destination. I donā€™t suppose we really need to go in the van at all as itā€™s only 19 miles away and we frequently pop down there for the day in winter. Our exception is Highlands End overlooking West Bay. Itā€™s overpriced for most Funsters and they are in danger of spoiling it by opening extra fields but not putting in more facilities.

The views are to die for, nostalgic for me, all the way to Portland Bill, childhood holidays when my Dad was in the Navy. Glorious walks. Claire gets married there on the 10th August. We meet up with my favourite cousin Bev and her husband as well sometimes in their van with their dogs.

Nick and I want our ashes scattered there but not on a windy day! Children have strict instructions to choose a quiet moment as itā€™s NT.
We are there on thursday, meeting up with some friends!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are there on thursday, meeting up with some friends!
Have a great time. I think itā€™s supposed to be dry but it will be breezy. Mind you I think youā€™ve been before so wonā€™t be surprised! Claire and Alexā€™s reception is at the Station Kitchen.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
In 35 years of using a motorhome, I have never pulled up on a site, just to visit the site. Sites get visited because of where they are. Near the beach I want to sit on, the lakes I want to walk around or the town I want to eat in.

OK, if there is a nice site and a poor site in a location I want to visit, then of course I'll choose the nice site every time. And if the site I do choose happens to have some nice facilities, then great, but I'm really not that fussed.

Some people appear to have the campsite as their destination, but given that, I'd rather stay at home.
Jim

You should check out some of the sites in Croatia.
We stayed at Camping Zadar, it was superb!
Essentially it was like a 4 star hotel, except you bought your own bedroom.

The loo and show facilities as you would expect were very good, and I was most impressed with the washing up areas,
each one had a line of dishwashers (all for free)
plus of course full laundry facilities.

A choice of pools, one for lanes, one for adults and one for small kids.
A proper supermarket.
A choice of several bars, some which permitted kids, some did not, some expected you to be fully dressed, others just swimming gear was Ok
A number of Restaurants, Pizza, Italian, Chinese, German, Burgers, a la carte, etc. Most of whom would also do deliveries (in effect, room service).
There was a beach, with loads of inflatables for the kids at one end, and a number of on and off site facilities such as dinghy sailing , scuba diving , cycle hire, trips to local stuff etc.

You could easily arrive there and not move off site for a couple of weeks.
We only stayed 4 days and that was enough for me, but I was very impressed with the entire set up.

It was so far away from the muddy northern European field with a loo bloc of stalls for loo and showers.
In comparison, it was like the difference between an amataur local match vs a premier league match.

I'm not saying it was for everyone, but it's the direction a site should work towards, in the same way an amatur local team dreams of getting into the leagues.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For us in the Uk itā€™s all about the destination. Either for parkrun, cycling or a relaxing look around a beautiful area. We tend to only stay 2 nights, 3 max on any one site then move on elsewhere. Abroad itā€™s a similar situation. Usually itā€™s a motocross Grand Prix followed by a few nights just mooching. We are happy with or without onsite facilities.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Have a look at these, all set up by a fellow funster.
Thatā€™s what we use for 90% of our UK stops ,biggest problem weā€™ve found with it is quite often you ring up and the pubs been shut for yearsā˜¹ļø
Otherwise we use google maps ,zoom in to where we fancy staying ,locate a local pub on the map and give them a ring ,most are fine if their car park is big enough and we often get ā€œSorry weā€™re shut on a Monday and Tuesday but youā€™re welcome to park up anyway ā€œšŸ™‚

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Why do any motorhomers want showers and toilets that every man and his dog have been in before them.
I was watching a YouTube vid yesterday where a couple had gone to a festival in their fairly new MH and in addition to the event fee, plus an additional fee because they were in the 'wrong kind of vehicle' they paid Ā£30 EACH for the weekend to use posh portaloos. Their van has a loo and shower on board, so I was totally befuddled as to why they'd pay Ā£60 to use site loos for a weekend.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have a look at these, all set up by a fellow funster.
I suspect you mean funster!!!!..... predictive text!

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I always think that about people who fence off a bit of grass and spend most of their time sitting on it to me you might as well sit on the grass at home. But we're all different it would be a boring world otherwise
As you say, we are all different. I feel very jealous of those sat on a camp site for 2 weeks doing nothing at all. If I sit out at home for more than 20 mins all I see are conifer and laurel hedges to cut, hundreds of feet of fencing to paint, shrubs to cut back, lawns to be mowed and that is what I end up doing, two weeks on a camp site sat on the grass.. heaven, having said that, I use my van for hobbies and interests not holidays so I guess its never going to happen:giggle:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Itā€™s gone!!šŸ˜¢
Exp
4 yearsā€¦.
Location for us plus if it has a pub within a mile itā€™s a bonus. I donā€™t use any site facilities so donā€™t look at what it has..
When I go fishing I am a bit more fussy as it has to be next to a lake not a half hour walk like some spottedšŸ¤”šŸ¤”

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Itā€™s very therapeuticā€¦.šŸ˜†šŸ˜Ž
I did that once, when I was 2 or 3. Pesky cat ran away whenever I got near. It was in front of the coal fire, on the hearth, and ran past me. I grabbed it, but ended up just holding the tail, which caused me to swing round. The cat flew around very gratifyingly. But I got dizzy, and let go. Result, cat in fire. Cat flew out of fire like a rocket, and didn't reappear for a few days. And I got a very good spanking. Very sorry šŸ˜.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I think it very much depends on the type of trip you are on . If we are touring and doing a night over , the site /aire/sosta needs to be secure , have water and a chemical dump , be cheapish , fairly quiet and itā€™s a bonus if near something of interest . But I donā€™t care if we are in a ā€œcar park ā€œ with very little else . If we are going somewhere for a few days f&e then the site has much more relevance - a view gets high on the top of our list then but all the above still count

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
It depends on how you use your motorhome, and what you want from a trip.

Sometimes I like to wake up, emerge from my bus and look out and see something amazing. For instance:

Sometimes, I want to be ten yards from the Adriatic sea:

Or on lake Geneva , with the Jura behind and the Alps in front

Sometimes, next to a hilltop medieval town right on the Dordogne.

And sometimes, we want to be in the middle of nowhere. Each to his/her own.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
If weā€™re planning a ā€œproper cookā€ - some adventurous smoker / bbq use, for example, then we might choose somewhere for its peace and views. Other nights, weā€™d care more about being able to walk out for a drink and a meal.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
I was watching a YouTube vid yesterday where a couple had gone to a festival in their fairly new MH and in addition to the event fee, plus an additional fee because they were in the 'wrong kind of vehicle' they paid Ā£30 EACH for the weekend to use posh portaloos. Their van has a loo and shower on board, so I was totally befuddled as to why they'd pay Ā£60 to use site loos for a weekend.
Depends how far your MH is from the main stage ,if itā€™s a mile and a half and youā€™ve got to get through 30,000 people all jumping about ,then walk past the posh loos ,past the overflowing other loos with 200 people in a queue to use them(and when you get in there thereā€™s no toilet paper and someoneā€™s just deposited last nights curryšŸ¤¢)then as you get to 500yards from your MH to late! May as well change my underpants nowšŸ¤Ŗ
Ā£30 each suddenly sounds like a bargain šŸ‘

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back