Why do people worry so much about how nice a campsite is? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In 35 years of using a motorhome, I have never pulled up on a site, just to visit the site. Sites get visited because of where they are. Near the beach I want to sit on, the lakes I want to walk around or the town I want to eat in.

OK, if there is a nice site and a poor site in a location I want to visit, then of course I'll choose the nice site every time. And if the site I do choose happens to have some nice facilities, then great, but I'm really not that fussed.

Some people appear to have the campsite as their destination, but given that, I'd rather stay at home.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If I lived where you live, I would rather stay at home. In fact the last time we were there I said this is where I want to retire and live there in the summer and spend winter in Spain.

Yes there is that I suppose, I have had people 'Holiday' in my back yard for 20 years. So I'm definitely spoiled, maybe there is pleasure just visiting a site for some peace and quiet, I have always had a home for that and should appreciate that some don't :blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
In 35 years of using a motorhome, I have never pulled up on a site, just to visit the site. Sites get visited because of where they are. Near the beach I want to sit on, the lakes I want to walk around or the town I want to eat in.

OK, if there is a nice site and a poor site in a location I want to visit, then of course I'll choose the nice site every time. And if the site I do choose happens to have some nice facilities, then great, but I'm really not that fussed.

Some people appear to have the campsite as their destination, but given that, I'd rather stay at home.
I always think that about people who fence off a bit of grass and spend most of their time sitting on it to me you might as well sit on the grass at home. But we're all different it would be a boring world otherwise

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If I lived where you live, I would rather stay at home.

We made the Times this week :D

Times Best Places to Live by the Sea.png

Times Best Places to Live by the Sea-2.png

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I always think that about people who fence off a bit of grass and spend most of their time sitting on it to me you might as well sit on the grass at home.
Maybe they don't have grass at home or live above a chippy in Slough.
:wink:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Sorry Jim, I don't believe you.

If there were two sites, of equal price, cleanliness & facilities etc. and one was IN a rough part of the town you wanted to visit and the other was a couple of miles OUT of town but in nicer surroundings.
I think you would opt for the slight inconvenience of the out of town one (or at least, Sian would? 😄)

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
It depends on peoples circumstances I suppose. We met a couple once who fenced off an area and sat reading most of the weekend. When I got talking to them they told me their 25 year old daughter had moved back in with them and they said they were sick of worrying and waiting up for her when she was out drinking with her friends, so they left her to it on the promise the house looked the same on the Monday as it did on the Friday when they left:giggle:

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Good job we're all different.

I love sitting out on a nice grassy site.

In the UK.

In the summer :rolleyes:

Not so bothered the rest of the year, if we are just going to be sitting in the van it's not so important.

Oct 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 728eb

I've got to agree with you there Jim. We were in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago on a THS which happened to be on a holiday park. Normally I would sooner not go away than stay on this type of place, its just not for me. In this case the price was too good to pass up and we only used it as a base to explore........If we are only away for a couple of nights rest then the quality of the site might come into it, but, that wouldn't be a larger site!

On the way back we "accidentally" found Woodside Field, thats my kind of site!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
More concerned about where we want to be rather what the stop or site is like.
Quite happy with a car park if it's next to where we want to be. We prefer Aires to sites hate paying for things we don't need or want, don't need loos, showers EHU.
Campsite is of no consequence to us, where we are is all that matters, I have never been to a campsite toilet or shower in all the time we have been travelling, as to being on grass ,we live on the stuff all the time, the van and the parkup is just for sleeping and washing in, all the rest of the time is out and about .

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We rarely stay on proper camp sites, mostly Aires or rally/THS sites. We also tend to avoid big sites, and prefer smaller and prettier sites. The problem with these for us now we are older is they of course tend to be out of the way places, whereas many Aires are in a location closer to towns and shops. Not many in the UK of course. And using some of the cheaper crossings it's worthwhile going abroad to use those. We paid £214 for a month's worth of Aires last month.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
So ,Jim, the consensus of your survey, sorry question, so far seems to be,
flatten Jasmine as a campsite, tarmac it over, make it into an 'aire', park up quadruple the number of MH's and charge a third of the price. 🤣

You would be packed every night, when are you selling shares? 😄

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Never tried the pubs. Those that I inquired into were no longer allowing it so we found it not worth being a member of the pub sites system.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
For us it is mostly related to how much we pay, some sites are tired to say the least but still asking top money including upfront payments

If cheaper I factor in disappointment 😁

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Judging from the responses it would appear most do not worry about how nice or otherwise a site is. Many years ago when touring with children I found it quite important. A swimming pool was essential and reasonable showers as with five or more in a mh the internal shower was not a practical option. Since there's just two of us we use mainly aires and our own facilities and so location is the important thing.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
On the whole I’d agree but there is one campsite that we like to go to every year and we do like the destination. I don’t suppose we really need to go in the van at all as it’s only 19 miles away and we frequently pop down there for the day in winter. Our exception is Highlands End overlooking West Bay. It’s overpriced for most Funsters and they are in danger of spoiling it by opening extra fields but not putting in more facilities.

The views are to die for, nostalgic for me, all the way to Portland Bill, childhood holidays when my Dad was in the Navy. Glorious walks. Claire gets married there on the 10th August. We meet up with my favourite cousin Bev and her husband as well sometimes in their van with their dogs.

Nick and I want our ashes scattered there but not on a windy day! Children have strict instructions to choose a quiet moment as it’s NT.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
We use a mixture of THS, aires and sites.
If we are staying in a nice area for a few days for us it makes a difference to also stay on a nice site.
Staying on a bad site in a nice area spoils the experience somewhat.
If we are only passing through or staying one night then anywhere we feel safe is fine.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I've only been motorhoming for 4 years but to me it looks obvious that the two big motorhoming "tribes" are those that care about how nice the site they are staying on is - and those that don't. Those that don't include a subset who are more concerned about price than anything else. But there seems to be almost no overlap between the two main groups.
And as you say Jim, they don't understand one another at all, and never will IMO.
Making threads like this pointless, I fear ;)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
What attracts motorhomes is I suppose the ability or freedom to easily move on when they want or need, the general mobility. Caravanners probably go to a specific location for longer stays and can visit places in their cars. There are many variations in between. Some motorhomes are so large and so are less mobile.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Never tried the pubs. Those that I inquired into were no longer allowing it so we found it not worth being a member of the pub sites system.
Have a look at these, all set up by a fellow funster.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What attracts motorhomes is I suppose the ability or freedom to easily move on when they want or need, the general mobility. Caravanners probably go to a specific location for longer stays and can visit places in their cars. There are many variations in between. Some motorhomes are so large and so are less mobile.
I think motorhomers vary a lot in how they use them I think there are a lot who take windbreaks,awning rooms,a towcar etc and use the motorhome in one place a week or two at a time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back